tahoe skiing report

Old December 24th 05, 01:20 AM

Default tahoe skiing report

Just had to cancel my 1-week Tahoe reservation. No skiing to be found
in Royal Gorge (they will take your money though). Auburn is closed.
Kirkwood is in a better shape, with large wet spots in the Meadows and
some of the upper trails open, with braches and dirt here and there.
All places near Mammoth are full by now, or too expensive .We are
driving our car full of skis South and are going hiking in Death
Valley. Call 911 if we are not back in a week The weirdest holiday
season ever.

Old December 24th 05, 02:53 AM

Geez, Andrey, have you gone soft? We both know that the conditions
today would make most east coast skiers positively gleeful on an
ordinary mid-winter weekend. Probably................except for the
puddles........

Good call on Death Valley. Probably the better choice for marital
harmony. ;-)

bt
(who saw Andrey in the parking lot of Kirkwood about 4 hours ago)

Old December 24th 05, 05:01 AM

I'm checking out Northstar in the morning. Tor Brown said he is
grooming about 15 km. up there, and claims it to be looking pretty
good.

All this doom and gloom is a moot point, however, come Sunday night.
Snow levels are finally coming down to resort base level, and the week
ahead looks to be VERY very stormy, so I wouldn't be surprised to be
measuring the snowfall in feet by the middle of the week. Sometimes the
slow starts to the season end up being pretty heavy snowfall years, so
you just never know.

Death Valley could be a good call, but by mid-week you might find it
pretty windy. Guy those tent lines out! And if you've still got the
skis in the car, be prepared to buzz up to Mammoth (which still has
lots of snow even today).

Mark

Old December 24th 05, 04:19 PM

I felt a little encouraged by your report of lots of snow hitting the Sierra
come Monday.....and lasting much of next week. Where did you get the
information? I haven't yet heard a forecast like the one you are
proposing.

Mark
oups.com...

Old December 24th 05, 07:27 PM

Mark Eastman wrote:

I felt a little encouraged by your report of lots of snow hitting the Sierra
come Monday.....and lasting much of next week. Where did you get the
information? I haven't yet heard a forecast like the one you are
proposing.

Skiing today was very good and will get better after this:

http://64.29.226.243/dweeb.htm

and this:

http://www.weatherunderground.com/US/CA/096.html

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, California

Old December 25th 05, 05:57 AM

go here (they're showing 5500' snow level monday, w/ signig snow...
dance, baby, DANCE!)
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=95724
it's my gospel. oops. sorry. tora. er, ... koran... strunk & white...
whatever.

Bob
hope to hit RG tuesday&wednesday. oh. and reality check:
http://video.dot.ca.gov/asx/kingvale.asx
(warning: dark at night. headlights. sleighs w/ jolly fat men. etc. )

Old December 25th 05, 08:19 AM

Northstar XC groomed some amazingly good trails today, with discounts
for Far West members and junior teams. I skied there for 2 hours, and
it was amazing how well it groomed out considering how little snow was
available, and how some of the other resorts were wiped out by the rain
earlier this week.

The forecast is simply from the NWS:
BY SUNDAY EVENING...SNOWFALL WILL
BECOME HEAVY AND CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. HEAVY SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO SNOW SHOWERS MONDAY AFTERNOON AS THE FAST
MOVING SYSTEM PUSHES EAST OF THE AREA. SNOW LEVELS WILL LOWER TO
NEAR 5000 FEET IN THE NORTHERN SIERRA TO 6500 FEET IN MONO COUNTY
BY MONDAY MORNING. SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF A FOOT OR
MORE ARE EXPECTED.

There's another storm Wednesday, and yet another for the weekend, so
things are setting up well for snowy last week of the year in the
Sierra. Only worries right now are whether the snow levels will rise
again, or stay below the resort level.

Mark

Old December 25th 05, 03:22 PM

Thanks for that view of I80 as it approaches the crest of the Sierra....but
right now, XMAS am....it looks pretty pathetically devoid of snow. I hope
the incoming storms will change that soon.

Mark
oups.com...

Old December 26th 05, 03:22 AM

Just got back from Mammoth this week and the Skiing at Tammarack Lodge
was great. They got about 3 feet of new snow last Sunday with more to
arrive any day. Skating was grrreat, but snow was on the warm side.
You are right about most places being booked. Tried the Roadway Inn
for the first time, was okay. They may have something open. Check
Mammoth's weather by logging on to The Dweeb Report. As a last resort
you might find a room in Bishop, if you want to drive 45 miles or so
south and commute. But that has to be a bummer.

Old December 26th 05, 03:30 AM

Bryant, here I am, with wireless in the desert. Honestly, a combination
of things has lead to the desert decision. My wife has a broken hand
and can't ski icy trails (Kirkwood), I have pneumonia or whatever it
is, and the conditions at Donner Pass (where we've planned the
vacation) were the final hit.

We stopped at Mammoth on our way from Reno, and the skiing there is
indeed great. No vacanies in the village: stopped at every
cheap-looking place (no, I did not ask at the resorts where I could see
plasma TVs through suits' windows). Still, we found a place in Lee
Vining, a 30 min drive. So we will hike in the desert for 2 more days
and then ski Mammoth.

It LOOKs like some clouds are coming from behind Mt Whitney, so Tahoe
may get the storm they need.

Beginning Skiing at Tahoe Amy Benson Snowboarding 4 January 29th 05 03:41 AM
Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
south tahoe report Seth Masia Alpine Skiing 7 December 1st 03 09:55 PM