1st Annual RSN "Gunde" Awards 2003

Old March 9th 04, 10:06 AM
John O'Connell

Default 1st Annual RSN "Gunde" Awards 2003 THE VOTES ARE IN!!!

Hey,

I'm not too big to ski....I'm too big to ski fast. One of the many
reasons why I love going to Europe is the metric system. I went into
the hot tub (they call it the bubbly) at the Mora swimming center
after the Half Vasa race to ease my aching shoulders. Got on the scale
and tipped it at a svelte 97 (kilos). I have not been under a 100 at
anything since early grammer school.

Very proud to be included in the Gunde awards and looking forward to
totally humiliating Tegeder on the golf course....payback is a b**ch.

John OC

aka Nordic Norm & "The logistics guy"

(Jay Tegeder) wrote in message . com...
We had some voting irregularites in the voting process. Some of them
included, faulty voting machines in Florida, dead people voting in
Chicago and an organized crime problem with the West Virginia
ballots... However, the selection committee sorted everything out.
There were also many write-in candidates which were factored in to the
vote. Some write-in candidates even won! Anyway, here are the results;

The "Juha Mieto" Award for You're Too Big to Ski!

John Wilkie wion with 74 votes. Nordic Norm and Bill Stuber each had
10 votes and Gary Jacobson had one write-in vote, presumably by him...

1) JW (John Wilkie)
2) Nordic Norm (John O'Connell)
3) Bill Stuber

The "Magnar Dalen" Award for Waxing Advice Excellence.

Hands down, Zach won this category with 785 votes. Roger, Ian and Rob
each had one vote. Once again, presumably by themselves...

1) Zach Caldwell
2) Roger Knight (Swix)
3) Ian Harvey (Toko)
4) Rob Bradlee (Toko)

The "Johann Muhlegg" Let's Talk About Me Award.

This was a wierd vote and you'll soon understand why... Jeff Potter, a
write-in candidate won the category with 1503 votes. That is the exact
number of Pete Vordenberg "Momentum" books that Potter has sold on
amazon.com. Write-in candidate SkinnySki was second with 1333 votes
with Jay Tegeder third at 260 votes, the FrontRunner was fourth with
93 votes and Wenner placed last with 91 votes. The weird part is that
SkinnySki, Tegeder, FrontRunner and Wenner each had the same number of
votes as their overall Birkie finishing position.

1) Jay Tegeder
2) Jay Wenner
3) Frontrunner (Greg Worsnop)

The "Torbjorn Karlsen" Shameless Promotion Award.

Jeff Potter, a write-in candidate, won the category with a record 2015
votes. Everyone else was so far back the vote count didn't matter...

1) Ian Harvey (Toko)
2) Rob Bradlee (Toko)
3) Roger Knight (Swix)
4) Eli Brown (Fischer)
5) Jay Tegeder (Finn Sisu, Reliable Racing)

The "Bente Skari" Calm and Informative Posting Award.

Unbelievably, this was a four-way tie. Each candidate received 375
votes...

1) Gary Jacobson
2) Marsh Jones
3) Chris Cline
4) Scott Elliot

The "Jaques Rogge" Provocative Discussion Award.

Jeff Potter took home the "Gunde" with 2,002 votes. Ken Roberts had
253 votes, the same mileage number from his house to Lake Placid. Gene
Goldenfeld recieved 9 votes...

1) Jeff Potter
2) Ken Roberts
3) Gene Goldenfeld

The "Ferry Grill" Technical Excellence Award.

Janne G won the vote with 1,075 versus 675 for Zach. Along with his
win, Janne gets a free stonegrind from Zach for next year's
Vasaloppet. However, he has to pay shipping from and back to Europe...

1) Janne G (mpeg downloads)
2) Zach Caldwell (grinding and waxing

The "Per Elofsson" Rookie of the Year Award.

Diva won with "Gunde" with 903 votes. Write-in candidates Griss and
Mike Wynn recieved 402 and 393 respectively. Serge got 298 votes and
David Tosi got 251.

1) Diva
2) Serge
3) David Tosi

The "Elena Vialbe" Where Have You Gone Award.

John Estle swept the category at 874 votes which was a first in
"Gunde" voting history. Of course, this is the first year of the
"Gundes"... Someone wrote-in Mark Nadell's name but didn't actually
vote for him... They wrote his name down but said they wanted their
vote to go to Estle...

1) Bob Larson
2) John Estle
3) Ski Boy Bob

The "Thomas Alsgaard" Fastest RSN Skier Award.

Instead of counting votes, the selection committee simply went by the
Birkie results. Nathan won since he placed 26th to 34th for Brian May.

1) Nathan Schultz
2) Brian May

The "Beckie Scott" Top Canadian Poster Award.

This vote took the longest to count because we had to wait for the
Canadian votes to come in. They were stuck at a border crossing
waiting for a visa... However, Peter Hoffmann won the "Gunde".
Apparently, the fact he bought some rollerskis from selection
committee member, Jay Tegeder, might have been a factor. Tegeder
denies it though... The vote count was 675 for Hoffmann, 374 for
Elliot and 374 for Hickey... Truckweaz actually had the most votes but
was disqualified since he isn't a Canadian...

1) Scott Elliot
2) Pete Hickey
3) Peter Hoffmann

The "Mora Nisse Nils Karlsson" Top International Poster Award.

Janne G won his second "Gunde" with 2,201 votes. It seems all fo the
North American voters chose Janne simply because of his mpeg video
downloads. Thomas Bystrom actually won the Swedish vote and totaled
933. Terje Mathisen won the Norwegian vote over Terje Henricksen.
Mathisen's overall vote total was 844. Lustig took the Finnish vote
and had an overall total 821 votes. He would have had more votes but
the Finns have turned to snowmobile racing, hockey and other things
since 2001. Primoz had 504 votes. Write-in candidate Taywood got 402
votes, all from Great Britain...

1) Janne G
2) Anders Lustig
3) Terje Mathisen
4) Thomas Bystrom
5) Primoz

The "Gunde" awards for 2003 were named "The best ever" by former
Olympic bribe... er, I mean Chairman, Juan Antonio Samaranch. Jaques
Rogge and Dick Pound were still arguing over whether to disqualify a
few candidates for performance enhancing internet connectivity... The
selection committe told them they don't have any authority over the
RSN "Gunde" awards...

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"