A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

Burton!

Old January 9th 06, 01:46 AM

Default Burton!

How good are burton boards?Is the tech really that advanced?are the
other company s as advanced such as libtech they seem to have a ton of
RandD.
Asking becauuse ive been sticking with them because they have been in
the biz so long ive asumed they would have over 20 years R and D .
Can a snowboard really be that advanced?
What do you think LEE you ve been in the biz for years and i have to
buy a board ..now!
greg

Old January 9th 06, 04:07 PM

I don't ride Burton boards anymore but In my experience they are quite
durable. They can typically take a hit and survive. LibTech boards
can crack a bit easier but people love them.

imo snowboard technology hasn't advanced much if at all in the last 6
years.

Old January 9th 06, 04:19 PM

How good are burton boards?Is the tech really that advanced?

Many, many riders seem to think they are "da bomb". But "advanced"
technology doesn't necessarily translate into a better ride. It all
depends what you are looking for. Some of the higher end freestyle boards
they've produced in years past had durability issues for example - the focus
was on getting them to be lightweight and the durability wasn't there. My
favorite Burton, the Supermodel, was a unique shape and flex profile and
they haven't made it for 5 years.

are the
other company s as advanced such as libtech they seem to have a ton of
RandD.

LibTech certainly has done some creative R&D lately, for example the
MagneTraction edge design. Again, some innovation turns out to be good for
the rider, and some bad.

Asking becauuse ive been sticking with them because they have been in
the biz so long ive asumed they would have over 20 years R and D .

If that makes you feel comfortable then keep doing it. I, after having
noodled a 99/00 Burton Custom 160 in less than thirty days on the hill, will
never buy a new Burton again.

Can a snowboard really be that advanced?

Again, "advanced" isn't the right word here. But yes, a snowboard can be
that "engineered". Shapes, flex patterns, materials, resions, construction
technqiues... can all make a huge difference. There is quite a bit of
innovation going into the boards that the top GS and SL racers are on.
Mostly having to do with making the boards more stable on a rutted-out race
course. Some of these innovations make it into the hands of consumers
(after a delay, to work out the durability issues) and believe me when I say
they can make a huge difference for the recreational rider. (Cases in
point: Donek's Olympic construction and Coiler's superboard construction.
Both of these cores, if I am not mistaken, were developed for racers, but
wow, do they ever make freecarving more fun!)

What do you think LEE you ve been in the biz for years and i have to
buy a board ..now!

I bet Lee and I would come up with a completely different list of boards for
you

Lee has spent a lot of time working in a shop, I have spent a lot of time
obsessing over finding the best gear for my abilities, styles and desires.
Two different angles. My recommendation would be DEMO, DEMO, DEMO and see
what's out there, especially if you've been riding one brand your entire
lif