Classical Skiers get the shaft agfain at the Birkie

Old April 17th 04, 01:59 AM
John Galt

Default Classical Skiers get the shaft agfain at the Birkie

Got my Bicrch Scroll, no results for Men's Classical Birkie. All that hard
work and the Birchie organization yet again finds a way to treat classical
skiers as second class skiers. (I hear us classical skiers will be getting
a sheet of results mailed to them sometime in the future, 'Suitable for
insert into your Birch Scroll'. Whoop de doo.)

Old April 17th 04, 03:09 AM
Gary Jacobson

When I did the Birkie, all classical skiers where to have an asterisk next
to their name on result page. I didn't get an asterisk.
No biggie, but I was surprised that they goofed up after trying to do
something for classical skiers. We started off to the side and had a
seperate route for a short distance. Maybe something like 1996.

Tough year for classical skiers at Worldloppet races. Complaints about
tracks at Vasaloppet and Birkiebeiner Rennet. (Also major complaints about
Dolenmitinlauf skate race too.) Good tracks are weather dependent to a large
degree.

How were the Birkie tracks? Would you recommend classical skiing it if one
enjoyed both techniques a like amount?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Lycra- It stretches only so much.

Old April 17th 04, 02:12 PM
Jeff Potter

I'm glad I started classic rollerskiing. No longer need tracks. Freedom!

But it is indeed tough when the tracks are gone AND the surface is literally
ice with 2-12" icebergs covering half of it.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old April 17th 04, 04:01 PM
Diva

Jeff, what rollerskis did you eventually end up with? I stopped in at the XC
Ski Shop in Grayling when I was up there in early March and talked with Dick
Fultz (and played with the puppy in the store s). He talked to me a lot
about rollerskis and was a great help. When I finally get the $$ together
to get a pair (which should be in late May) I'm going to get the ones I want
from him. What a cool store!

June

Old April 17th 04, 08:53 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

If you signed up for the Birkie online news updates, you would have
received one recently explaining that there was a production screw-up re
most of the classical results and, thus, a separate mailing would be
coming. Since the classical results were in last year's post-race Birch
Scroll, this year's failure hardly makes the conspiracy scale.

More noteworthy re classical skiers is that the Scroll doesn't mention a
separate classical race. Greg, has that been put off for further
thought?

Gene

Old April 17th 04, 08:59 PM
Greg Fangel

Gene,

If you look real close in the current Birch Scroll, it says that they
haven't decided what to do about the separate classic race. They state that
it could be offered next year or the year after.

Their original idea was to run the separate classic race from OO to Hayward,
so it would only be about 25k. There are lots of logistical problems with
that, not to mention the impact on the Korteloppet and Telemark Lodge.

Greg Fangel

Old April 17th 04, 10:33 PM
John Galt

I don't mean to imply it was a 'conspiracy'. My intent is simply to say
that classical skiers are far down the list of concerns of the Birkie Org,
as has been the case ever since the rise of skating. That is, could anyone
even conceive of the the skaters' results being left out of the Scroll? Of
course not, it would NEVER happen. But classical results left out? That
they were left out proves lack of concern, not conspiracy and is one more
small example of second class treatment.

As far as 'production screwup'...my aren't they quick to pass the blame to
someone else. Where is the proofreading by the Birkie liason before the
production run? No, its easier to blame the contractor.

Old April 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

I was referring to the Birkie email from memory. I don't know if they
said "production" problem or posed it another way. Of course, a
production problem could happen anywhere along the line, including well
within the Birkie organization itself. Likewise, the fact that the
Birkie leadership hasn't turned the main event course into a classical
race and shuttled the freestylers off onto another course could be read
as insensitivity toward striders, as well. When one is full of vitriol,
the possibilities are almost limitless.

Gene

Old April 18th 04, 02:54 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Greg,

Are you referring to the text on p.23? That mentions an "additional
event to give them a new and difference 'experience' on the Birkie
trail" on "one of the other days of Birkie week" that is in the planning
for 2005 or 2006? I don't see anything specific to classic skiing,
although perhaps that's what is meant by the reference that the new
event would be aimed not only at Saturday event skiers, but their
families and friends.

Also of general note is that wave seeding criteria will change after
the 2005 race, to give a "better balance of numbers in waves. Very
likely the first few waves will have tighter numbers so some of you who
have qualified for waves one and two might be in waves two and three."
Etc. This will make for 10 waves, plus new skiers in wave 11.

Gene