Skiiing in October - Advice please

Old July 17th 03, 12:29 PM
Dee

Default Skiiing in October - Advice please

Hi
I am looking to go skiing during the last week in October .. half term
holidays ... intermediate ... red/black + beginner ... blue + 8 yr
old...blue/red

I have looked at Tahoe ... but would rather stay in Europe

Does anyone have any resort advice which is likely to be open at the end of
October ... or is it off to the States?

Yours hopefully

thanks

Drl

Old July 17th 03, 10:13 PM
David Off

Steve wrote:
I doubt you would find anywhere on the planet to ski in October for a
week. There may be something on the glacier in Tignes, apart from that
there are snow domes in Milton Keynes and Tamworth.

In France, the glaciers at Tignes, l'Alpe d'Huez and les Deux Alpes are
scheduled to be open, it is the Toussain holiday, last year it snowed
and the skiing was quite good at l'Alpe d'Huez. PG could tell you more
about l2A as he spent the week there as a cub reporter.

Old July 18th 03, 03:24 AM
Iain Miller

"Dee" wrote in message
Hi
I am looking to go skiing during the last week in October .. half term
holidays ... intermediate ... red/black + beginner ... blue + 8 yr
old...blue/red

I have looked at Tahoe ... but would rather stay in Europe

Does anyone have any resort advice which is likely to be open at the end

of
October ... or is it off to the States?

I doubt Tahoe will be open by then....mid-late Novemebr at the earliest.

I.

Old July 18th 03, 08:41 AM
Sarah Eggleston

Dee wrote:
Hi
I am looking to go skiing during the last week in October .. half term
holidays ... intermediate ... red/black + beginner ... blue + 8 yr
old...blue/red

I have looked at Tahoe ... but would rather stay in Europe

Does anyone have any resort advice which is likely to be open at the end of
October ... or is it off to the States?

Yours hopefully

Maybe you could try Chile, they are having a reasonable snow
year so far in some resorts.

http://www.andesweb.com/

"Last weeks's snow dumped upwards of 2 metres of fresh powder
at many resorts!"

*swoon*

With the local UK weather today cool and drizzly that looks
seriously tempting. Now if only Easyjet would fly there for
25 quid...!

Their October is about like our April, I guess, and I don't know
how reliable the spring skiing is. Many resorts could be closed
by the last week of October.

-Sarah

Old July 18th 03, 09:45 AM
MoonMan

In , David Off
typed:
Steve wrote:
I doubt you would find anywhere on the planet to ski in October for a
week. There may be something on the glacier in Tignes, apart from
that there are snow domes in Milton Keynes and Tamworth.

In France, the glaciers at Tignes, l'Alpe d'Huez and les Deux Alpes
are scheduled to be open, it is the Toussain holiday, last year it
snowed and the skiing was quite good at l'Alpe d'Huez. PG could tell
you more about l2A as he spent the week there as a cub reporter.

I have (several years ago) spent a week training in Tignes in october, it
snowed!only the glacier was open and that closed for 2 of the days we where
there and uncomfortable most of the rest of the time due to high winds. how
much will be open this year depends on what's left.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old July 18th 03, 11:16 AM
Paul Schofield

"MoonMan" wrote in message
In , David Off
typed:
Steve wrote:
I doubt you would find anywhere on the planet to ski in October for a
week. There may be something on the glacier in Tignes, apart from
that there are snow domes in Milton Keynes and Tamworth.

My immediate thought, that no-one else has suggested, is that you should be
looking as far north as possible so try Norway, Sweden or Finland (or even
Alaska!) I've never skied at any of these places and have no knowledge of
their opening times other than it is possible to ski in Norway during the
summer. A quick call to the appropriate tourist boards should be able to
check on availability though

--
Paul Schofield

Old July 18th 03, 05:41 PM
Jonathan Turnbull

try killington, east coast of USA - they can generate huge amounts of
artificial snow and may just be open then

Old July 19th 03, 10:31 PM
PG

"David Off" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
I doubt you would find anywhere on the planet to ski in October for

week. There may be something on the glacier in Tignes, apart from

that
there are snow domes in Milton Keynes and Tamworth.

In France, the glaciers at Tignes, l'Alpe d'Huez and les Deux Alpes

are
scheduled to be open, it is the Toussain holiday, last year it snowed
and the skiing was quite good at l'Alpe d'Huez. PG could tell you

more
about l2A as he spent the week there as a cub reporter.

Les Deux Alpes, October half-term. First part of the week it's the 3 day
'Mondial du Surf' exhibition, a sweet-smelling haze hangs over the
resort, and baggy-trousered kids shout and scream until 4 in the morning
for no apparent reason. Not sure how much snowboarding they actually
manage to fit in. Calling in at the boulangerie at 7 on the way to the
lift there's always a queue of silent red-eyed zombies who are only up
at the hour cos they haven't slept yet. The smog lifts during the two
days of relative peace between exhibitions, then it's the more sedate
skiers' turn, with the 'Mondial du Ski'. There's always a risk of bad
weather at this time of year - only the glacier is open so it's not
unusual for the Jandri lift to be closed for a couple of days or so
during the week. I've been lucky the last three years.

Over the entire week the lifts get going at 7.30, and by then the queues
(of club/national team skiers race training) are already large. If you
can afford a private instructor you can jump the queues, to the disgust
of the 'experts'. Runs have been marked out right across the glacier, so
there's not much choice of pistes. And you won't find any really testing
runs at L2A, just the one small black.

It's a lively resort, but outside of skiing/boarding and drinking
there's not much else to do, other activities are mostly shut down
inter-season (the resort closes again at the end of the week). The
Surf/Ski exhibition mainly consists of a huge marquee full of the main
brands (clothing/ski/snowboard equipment) at discounted prices. Fashion
shows. A few lesser-known stars are dragged in to sign autographs. The
occasional competition both on snow up on the glacier and skateboarding
down in the resort, accompanied by the compulsory deafening hip-hop. At
least I think it's hip-hop, can't really tell the difference, sure
someone will put me right. You can try out the new season's gear, free,
on the glacier.

Les Deux Alpes instructors?

Charlotte Swift, excellent with beginners and intermediates, one teenage
kid I took who'd hated every lesson (skiing or anything else) he'd ever
had, actually wanted more. www.easiski.com

Anne Millet of 'Ski Privilege', former French World Cup team member,
good English (worked in States for a number of years), ideal for
intermediates and above, tough taskmaster (or should that be mistress),
great with kids though. http://anne.millet.free.fr

Dave Morris, runs SnowPro with Pete Hughes, never skied with him myself
but have heard excellent reports. Piste weeks, carving weeks, bumps,
lessons for beginners. www.snowpro.co.uk

Jeremy Edward's European Ski School, English instructors. Jeremy also
runs the Le Cret Hotel and Secret Bar - a lively and popular après ski
haunt, mainly Brits. Good deals on summer skiing accommodation (when
there's snow, that is)...
www.europeanskischool.co.uk

Pete

Old July 20th 03, 05:25 PM
David Off

PG wrote:
a sweet-smelling haze hangs over theresort

Ah, now I understand why you are so keen on 'grass' skiing ;-)

Old July 21st 03, 12:23 PM
PG

"David Off" wrote in message

a sweet-smelling haze hangs over theresort

Ah, now I understand why you are so keen on 'grass' skiing ;-)

Well they do say it's safer than the white stuff, though not as
addictive perhaps ;°]

Pete

any boot advice? ex Snowboarding 5 March 16th 05 04:12 AM
trip to Vail - looking for advice Sharkie Snowboarding 6 April 12th 04 09:21 PM
Advice for new boarder please... codepoit Snowboarding 6 February 29th 04 03:22 PM
Mt. Bachelor Advice? John Davison Snowboarding 6 November 25th 03 05:07 PM
New Zealand Nick Wells Snowboarding 3 October 2nd 03 01:49 AM