Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

Old November 25th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Default Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

On Nov 25, 7:51Ā*am, snowbender
wrote:
On Nov 25, 1:53 am, Evojeesus wrote:

On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, gr wrote:

I was wondering; given the same snow and path; which is faster Skis or
Snowboards?

I've read somewhere, there used to have the mixed skiing and
snowboarding "king of the mountain" competition in Europe (more likely
in France, iirc) some years ago, snowboarders beat skiers every timeļ¼›
that's why there only separated skierX and snowboarderX competitions
nowadays.

No, it's the other way round. The skiers always beat the
snowboarders. I have a couple of friends who competed back in the
day. The skiers didn't just beat the snowboarders, they smoked them.

On absolute terms skis are faster (check out Derby de la Meije times
for proof), but snowboards may be faster on average in some terrain
(powder, near-endless vertical) as less they require less energy
expenditure from the rider and therefore less stops.

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

snowbender

Well that's another area where you would be wrong but my guess is
you're just spewing misinformation just to be a troll.
Old November 26th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Nov 25, 3:26 pm, snoig wrote:

On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, gr wrote:

I was wondering; given the same snow and path; which is faster Skis or
Snowboards?

I've read somewhere, there used to have the mixed skiing and
snowboarding "king of the mountain" competition in Europe (more likely
in France, iirc) some years ago, snowboarders beat skiers every timeļ¼›
that's why there only separated skierX and snowboarderX competitions
nowadays.

No, it's the other way round. The skiers always beat the
snowboarders. I have a couple of friends who competed back in the
day. The skiers didn't just beat the snowboarders, they smoked them.

That's what you say; nevertheless, the one I've read was another
person's saying, blah, blah, blah, same as you are. Really, they are
just people saying, I don't think either is true. But I think that as
snowboards can carve a fairly straight line (and skis have to turn to
carve), snowboards would be faster than skis.

On absolute terms skis are faster (check out Derby de la Meije times
for proof), but snowboards may be faster on average in some terrain
(powder, near-endless vertical) as less they require less energy
expenditure from the rider and therefore less stops.

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

snowbender

Well that's another area where you would be wrong but my guess is
you're just spewing misinformation just to be a troll.

Same as the misinformation you're spewing, are you not a troll?

On the mountains you'd occasional see people bomb down the groomed
runs, snowboarders were almost always faster.

snowbender
Old November 26th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:54:02 -0800 (PST), snowbender
wrote this crap:

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

snowbender

Well that's another area where you would be wrong but my guess is
you're just spewing misinformation just to be a troll.

Same as the misinformation you're spewing, are you not a troll?

On the mountains you'd occasional see people bomb down the groomed
runs, snowboarders were almost always faster.

Answer a simple question. *Why* did you ask your question in this
newsgroup when you had already made up your mind about the answer?

I suspect that you are just an annoying troll trying to stir up
trouble. Go back under your bridge or my minions will find out where
you live.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old November 26th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, gr wrote:

[...]

Give up a independent reference because you have proven your thinking is
not correct.

What for? all you're going to do when I provide proof is to run and
hide, too much works for a none-result, nevertheless, I do have a clip
for your little knowledge's continue education,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

A person posted here using the nastar handicapping as a reason for
snowboarders being slower than skiers, that is a reasonable argument one
way or the other.

If snowboarders break on a dime why do they not run in slalom skiing,
maybe you can not out turn a boarder. But I think most of us can.

Well, we were talking about "speed," not how they "turn,"
nevertheless, if they use a snowboarder as the course setter, I think
the result would be very different.

I think a universal answer for this question is wrong, and which one
(boards vs skis) is faster is dependent on the person who wields them.

Try to have a good thanksgiving everybody.

Snowfake Do you know the way the turkey goes in?

Clueless on flightless, gobble, gobble.

snowbender
Old November 26th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 11/26/2010 09:54 AM, snowbender wrote:
On Nov 25, 3:26 pm, wrote:
On Nov 25, 7:51 am,
wrote:

On Nov 25, 1:53 am, wrote:

On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, wrote:

[...]

cough cough bull**** See Lindsey Vonn and a description
of her downhill technique. Her extreme speed is, in part,
due to her ability to 'float', to use as little edge as
possible/needed.

I can go across a slope on my edges without turning.
Can't you?

As for the argument at hand.
I once said to a snowboard instructor friend of mine
that skis were always faster than snowboard. We then
did a run from the top of one lift to the bottom of
another on a slope that goes from moderate to fairly
gentle.

He smoked me.

The conditions we
Fresh tune for him
He was 20 years old (I was 60 at the time)
and he was used to going very fast on a board.

I think the question is still up in the air.

I think someone can build a board (say 200cm long)
with other features, like very little sidecut
and a fairly forward stance and carving board
binding with stiff boots and then he might be
able to keep up with task oriented speed skis.
IOW, I think it may be the equipment. 'course
big cojones help too.

Old November 26th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

I have found that there is always an exception just not necessarily the
rule.
One difference is in the stance of snowboarder vs skier they do
windtunnel testing to find right position of skier for max speed low
drag position. You do not go fast standing up. I can not think of
getting a boarder into a aerodynamic shape with out surgery or being a
double amputee. Also the real speed skiers use aerodynamic faring on
their body and test in windtunnels.
Old November 26th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

wrote this crap:

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

snowbender

Well that's another area where you would be wrong but my guess is
you're just spewing misinformation just to be a troll.

Same as the misinformation you're spewing, are you not a troll?

On the mountains you'd occasional see people bomb down the groomed
runs, snowboarders were almost always faster.

Answer a simple question. **Why* did you ask your question in this
newsgroup when you had already made up your mind about the answer?

I suspect that you are just an annoying troll trying to stir up
trouble. *Go back under your bridge or my minions will find out where
you live.

Holy ****. Horvath calling someone a troll. I'd say PKB, but this
deserves something better. Like the hemorrhoid calling the turd
stinky might be close.
Old November 26th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Nov 26, 4:51*pm, VtSkier wrote:

I think the question is still up in the air.

Well, the question is still, have snowboarders ever beat skiers on the
same course? Case in point, Derby de la Meije 2008 (total vertical
depends on the year but can be over 1800m):

Fastest skier: 06:02
Fastest monoskier: 07:33
Fastest telemarker: 07:33
Fastest snowboarder: 08:52

These guys are all certifiably insane, to get the idea of the madness
involved, check out the winning run from 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erc3yLswnWk

=:-O
Old November 26th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/26/10 7:51 AM, VtSkier wrote:

I think someone can build a board (say 200cm long)
with other features, like very little sidecut
and a fairly forward stance and carving board
binding with stiff boots and then he might be
able to keep up with task oriented speed skis.
IOW, I think it may be the equipment. 'course
big cojones help too.

They use such custom speed boards in the speed trials such as Les Arcs,
pretty much matching your description. The resulting records were posted
herein awhile back - speed skier is substantially faster than a speed
boarder.

Old November 26th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Nov 26, 9:26*am, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

their body and test in windtunnels.- Hide quoted text -

Any efficient skier knows that skis are faster and more manuverable.

In learning to ski the object is to learn to turn. How fast going
"straight down" isn't an issue. Only snowboarders use that "logic".
You can put a brick on any sliding device and achieve that. LOL, they
kinda do!