My Annual Request for Early Season Insight

Old September 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
user

Default My Annual Request for Early Season Insight

Been doing this for 15 years now, and many thanks to those who have
responded. A little different format this time round...

Here's my plan. Give me your thoughts.

Late November: SLC - chase the snow from canyon to canyon. I usually don't
bothr with Park or Deer, but spent a pleasant morning in some diamonds
skier's left in The Canyons last Christmas. Does it get snow as early as
Alta and Brighton?

Week before Christmas: Big Sky - taking a chance here, I think. When do
conditions get consistent?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

OC

Old September 21st 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

user wrote:

Late November: SLC - chase the snow from canyon to canyon. I usually don't
bothr with Park or Deer, but spent a pleasant morning in some diamonds
skier's left in The Canyons last Christmas. Does it get snow as early as
Alta and Brighton?

It's about 1000' lower in elevation, and therefore warmer - this can
make a big difference early and late season. Also the way the storms
*usually* track LCC gets it first, BCC gets it second, and the PC area
gets sloppy thirds. But it's not exactly unheard of for a storm to
paste PC and miss the other canyons.

So, get yourself to the general area and chase the snow. Good plan.

Week before Christmas: Big Sky - taking a chance here, I think. When do
conditions get consistent?

Can't help you there.

//Walt

Old September 22nd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
user

Thanks Walt, much appreciated.

Additional question about PC...

I've only skied Park City once and was disappointed. Seemed like I did an
awful lot of traversing to find decent runs. Finally hooked up with some
locals, but I'd say things got only marginally better. During 7 hours of
skiing, I probabaly spent 3 full hours touring the mountain rather than
skiing it. Is this typical, or did I just manage to find the longest
distance between runs?

Cheers,

OC