possible to drown in snow?

Old March 11th 06, 08:54 PM

Bob Lee wrote:
But one of these times, just to present a *little* balance, you might
put this one up:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC_5663.html

It was only two days previous. Do it for the pinnas.

Nice pic Mikey! And man does that snow look TASTY. Next time I ski
snow like that I'm going to find a nice roller under a chairlift and
flat out Superman off of it. Think of the little gasp from the
spectators as you initially appear to be performing what may be an
unbelievably risky aerial - arms and legs straight out, body full
extended in a brief moment of gravity defying flight. Who's with me?!

JP
*************************************
Way cooler than streaking.

Old March 12th 06, 03:00 AM

"Norm" wrote in news:uDgQf.130751$H%4.69256@pd7tw2no:

Point being the OP may have been incorrect in his use of the term drown, but
what he really wanted to know was has anybody ever died from it. Either way
you would still be dead, so the answer, whatever it might be, remains the
same. Dead is dead.

Well with the snow Tahoe got the past week.. Alpine says they have 11 feet
fresh... I'm sure we will hear of a few more near 'drownings'.
Old March 12th 06, 12:39 PM

TexasSkiNut wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

TexasSkiNut wrote:

Jeff Davis wrote:

TexasSkiNut wrote:

For those of us predisposed to these occurences, even a small particle
hitting just the wrong spot can trigger one. I had a tortilla chip
cause one once, as did some red pepper on a sandwich bun. Not fun at
all. I even have had one trigerred once by chomping on some ice. So,
to answer the OP's question, YES, it is possible to "drown" in snow,
but it is much more likely that you'd suffocate.

[snip]
So I can see asphyxiation and suffocation, but by your very denotation
of dry drowning, one must first inhale water. Without the inhalation of
water, there is no drowning. Good research.

As Bill Clinton might say, define inhale. If you mean that water (or
whatever substance acts as the trigger) must get past the larynx and
into the windpipe, then I can assure you from my personal experience
that laryngospasms can be triggered before that happens.

I'm wondering if one or more people in this convo are confusing dry
drowning, which is caused by laryngospasm and in which no liquid enters
the lungs, with secondary drowning AKA parking lot drowning. See
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~oulsc/theory/drown.html for more info on these
definitions. They make the point, BTW, that laryngospasm can be
triggered by cold water immersion -- again, not necessarily any water in
the lungs.

Most people think drowing always means the lungs are filled with fluid.
I was not aware of the secondary drowning danger. Good to know.

Yeah. A near-drowning victim -- someone who gets immersed, stops
breathing as a result, and is brought back via rescue breathing (or if
it gets to that point, CPR) should _always_ be taken to a hospital to be
checked out, no matter how bouncy they feel.

Old March 12th 06, 09:12 PM

In message 2006031020173316807%msaemisch@yahoocom, Let Mikey Ski It!
writes

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC_5829.html

Be safe! Avoid the powder! You could drown!

Post the "snorkel" picture, it's right for this thread !

--
Sue ]

Old March 12th 06, 09:14 PM

In message , Walt
writes

And asphyxiation is asphyxiation. If you "inhale water", you will
indeed suffer a lack of oxygen that will lead to death if the
situation is not corrected.

Or brain damage if it is corrected but a little too late. Which may
explain some of the posts in this thread, IYKWIM.

Water isn't the fluid they suggested to me...

--
Sue ]
Old March 13th 06, 11:17 PM

In article .com,
TexasSkiNut wrote:

My research was out of necessity, as I had been having laryngospasms
for about 26 years without any doctor ever using the term laryngospasm.

I just watched CSI the other night. The one about the hiker drowning
in the desert. 15% of the time water during drowning triggers the laryngo-
spasm, and one drowns with no water in the lungs. The operant issue at
hand is one must inhale water, (liquid H2O), in order to drown, and my
dictionary substantiates that conviction.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old March 13th 06, 11:40 PM

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:
Well with the snow Tahoe got the past week.. Alpine says they have 11 feet
fresh... I'm sure we will hear of a few more near 'drownings'.

No, you won't drown in it. Actually, [powder] skiing is excellent at
the Sierra-Nevada Mountains right now. Enjoy it while you can.

Happy skiing,
taichiskiing

Old March 14th 06, 03:33 PM

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article .com,
TexasSkiNut wrote:

My research was out of necessity, as I had been having laryngospasms
for about 26 years without any doctor ever using the term laryngospasm.

I just watched CSI the other night. The one about the hiker drowning
in the desert. 15% of the time water during drowning triggers the laryngo-
spasm, and one drowns with no water in the lungs. The operant issue at
hand is one must inhale water, (liquid H2O), in order to drown, and my
dictionary substantiates that conviction.

Do I get extra credit for knowing one of the writers for CSI? He gave
us the first five seasons of CSI on DVD for Christmas. Maybe I'll have
to dig up that episode. I think I've seen parts of it on the toob as a
rerun.