Recommendation for a snowboard

Old February 8th 05, 07:13 PM
Tavish Muldoon

Default Recommendation for a snowboard

Hello!

Looking for a new board!

I am intermediate to advanced in skill (but have the occasional wipe
out). Being in Eastern Ontario, the conditions are mostly hard
packed, ice and fast. If lucky, might end up out west (Rockies) one
or two time a year for some god like boarding (sweet powder).

I like speed and carving - but no asymetrical boards. I also prefer
to stay on the ground - doing jumps isn't hard, it is the landing. I
land - just not well (see the above about the occasional wipe out).

Recommendations on a good board for me? Personal experiences -
good/bad?

Thanks,

Tmuld.
Old February 8th 05, 07:29 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Tavish Muldoon wrote:

I like speed and carving - but no asymetrical boards.

Soft boots - Prior MFR or AMF, Donek Incline, Rad-Air Leto or Tanker
Hard boots - Prior 4WD, Donek Axis, Coiler AM

Neil

Old February 8th 05, 07:39 PM
Mike T

I like speed and carving - but no asymetrical boards.

Soft boots - Prior MFR or AMF, Donek Incline, Rad-Air Leto or Tanker
Hard boots - Prior 4WD, Donek Axis, Coiler AM

I second that... I have personal experience with the Incline, Axis and
Coiler AM and would recommend any of them in a heartbeat. Please post
your weight, foot size, and preference for hard/soft boots, and we might be
able to make even more specific recommendations on sizes and models.

Mike T

Old February 9th 05, 04:08 PM
Tavish Muldoon

I am just looking for a board right now - I have flow binding whick I
like. I like the K2 T1 boots - the ones that basically tie
themselves! (don't own them of course)

Height - 5' 9"
Weight - 150lbs
Foot 9-9.5 (N.American sizing)

Never heard of Incline, Axis or Coiler AM...

Thanks!

Tmuld

Old February 9th 05, 04:09 PM
Tmuldoon

Height 5' 9"
Weight 150 lbs
Foot 9.0-9.5 (North American)

Thanks!

Tmuld

Old February 9th 05, 04:29 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Tavish Muldoon wrote:
I am just looking for a board right now - I have flow binding whick I
like. I like the K2 T1 boots - the ones that basically tie
themselves! (don't own them of course)

Height - 5' 9"
Weight - 150lbs
Foot 9-9.5 (N.American sizing)

Never heard of Incline, Axis or Coiler AM...

www.donek.com for the Inclines and other good stuff
www.priorsnowboards.com for the MFR and AMF

Search this newsgroup using Google Groups for discussions of Donek and
Prior. They are both relatively small, North American based
manufacturers offering high quality boards. Coiler is the same but
alpine-only so as you're in softies don't worry about it. But for a
picture of my beloved AM, see
http://www.kendo-sask.com/CoilerAM172/overview.jpg

For a foot size that small and your stated riding preferences, you may
well be very happy on one of the smaller Donek Inclines.

Neil

Old February 9th 05, 04:56 PM
Tmuldoon

For fun I tried on a pair of Northwave Quest Boa's I fit a European
42.5 quite comfortable.

Stance? Rear foot is usually at 0, front about 12-15 degrees.

Very cool board! What is the main difference in riding an asymetric
board? Anything close to that in a soft boot?
When you say 'Alpine' board - what sort of conditions is that used on.
I would like to move in that direction.

Tmuld.

Old February 9th 05, 08:51 PM
lonerider

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Tavish Muldoon wrote:
[...]

I'm slightly smaller than Tavish at 5'8", 150 lbs with 7.5-8 boots and
riding similar angles to him (18/3-15/0) and I have the Donek Incline
155 which I really love for carving - it is a "stiff" freeride board
that has excellent edgehold (even on icy hardpack condition) and very
crisp on turns - on a groomed slope at any steepness the Incline is a
rockstar and usable even up to the beginner-intermediate level.

However, it's extra stiffness and it's tendency to "hold on" to a carve
makes it a bit of a dog to ride in the bumps, trees as it doesn't
release from it's turns quickly. Also, it's narrow profile really
causes it to sink into powder when you are going slow (at higher speed
it is fine though) - so slow runs through tree powder are just not fun.

With Tavish's larger feet I would actually steer him towards the Donek
Wide 155 (26cm waist) or Phoenix 155 (24.8) over the Incline 155 (24cm)
because even with size 7.5-8 feet I get boot overhang and will drag out
of a carve if I'm tipping the board too high on the edge (60-70
degrees). The Wide isn't actually very wide (they have a Sasquatch
model for BIG feet) and has virtually the same characteristic as the
Incline, but with less boot overhang and much more powder floatation.
The Phoenix has a wide profile and a much softer flex (the Incline/Wide
are some of the stiffest freeride boards on the market) which
supposedly makes it much easier to ride in the bumps, trees, powder,
and park (according the website). I've found the Incline fine for
straight airs in the park... but the stiff flex between the bindings
and the setback make it a little awkward to spin on - I'm guessing the
Phoenix will be better (I plan to switch to one in the next few seasons
- unless Tavish wants to buy my Incline 155 from me =]). P.S. if you do
get a Donek be SURE to have the edges beveled, Donek doesn't bevel the
edges like other manufacturers and at 0/0 unless you are an expert it
will eat your alive! (ok I'm exaggerating, but 0/0 is intense).

I recently demo'd the Prior boards as well. The AMF's are park boards
and while damp... just have too short a sidecut (7.5 for the 155) even
for me to ride outside of the park. The MFR is smoother and damper
(good for icy/rutted snow) - more a luxury ride compared to the hard
carving Donek Incline (I demoed a MFR 158 so it feel a little long and
with a 8.9m sidecut and a 25cm waist, which made it want to do big
wider turns). The MFR 158 was a lot more fun in the powder - although
again I suspect the Wide and Phoenix in particular would be a better
matchup. Both boards are very nice... although the Donek are more
affordable (and you can get free demos).

Old February 10th 05, 11:29 AM
Christopher Cox

lonerider wrote:
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

Tavish Muldoon wrote:

[...]

Hello Arvin,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have some questions.

Did you demo a Phoenix?

Just got back from a Boradercross and have some performance concerns.

Thanx!

Chris
Old February 10th 05, 12:57 PM
Andy Sandford

Hi

I'm currently riding a 4 year old Wide 161 which I'm thinking of retiring. I
was probably going to replace it with another wide, but now I'm not so sure.
I'd be VERY interested in the opinion of anyone who's ridden the Phoenix and
a Wide/Incline.

Living in the UK I only get to ride on snow for a week or two each year. The
rest of the time I'm stuck with dryslope, so I'd like a board that's a bit
more forgiving...

TIA

Andy

"Christopher Cox" wrote in