Advanced riders using bum pads?

Old January 11th 05, 12:35 PM
Heather

Default Advanced riders using bum pads?

I'm just wondering whether many intermediate to advanced riders here
wear bum pads? People laugh when I tell them that I still use them
after 6 years. The most painful injuries I have ever received were
from falling on my tail bone and I still seem to fall on it regularly
each season. Could it be that I am falling wrong ? I try to land on
my elbows if I'm falling backwards but sometimes you just can't help
landing on your backside.

My bum pads are also getting squashed after 6 years of use. They don't
have much cushioning left. So I am looking for new ones.

I have seen a whole variety of them on this page
http://www.shop-of-snowboarding.com/...protection.asp

Has anybody used the "Red Impact Shorts - Womens" ?
The "Dainese Short Protector Plus" looks the most effective though not
very flattering But it is expensive. Has anybody any experience
with this ?

Heather

Old January 11th 05, 03:46 PM
lonerider

Heather wrote:
I'm just wondering whether many intermediate to advanced riders here
wear bum pads? People laugh when I tell them that I still use them
after 6 years. The most painful injuries I have ever received were
from falling on my tail bone and I still seem to fall on it regularly
each season. Could it be that I am falling wrong ? I try to land on
my elbows if I'm falling backwards but sometimes you just can't help
landing on your backside.

I ride with them and I know a couple other intermediate/advanced riders
that wear them. I started wear them when I slipped out doing board
slides on rails and hit my tailbone on the rail. Now I wear them for a
combination of tailbone protection and warmth.

My bum pads are also getting squashed after 6 years of use. They

don't
have much cushioning left. So I am looking for new ones.

I have seen a whole variety of them on this page
http://www.shop-of-snowboarding.com/...protection.asp

Has anybody used the "Red Impact Shorts - Womens" ?
The "Dainese Short Protector Plus" looks the most effective though

not
very flattering But it is expensive. Has anybody any experience
with this ?

Heather

I went through the same thing as you after the padding in my my
Crash-pads broke down. I have heard a lot of great stuff about how
protective the Short Protector *Plus* (specifically the one with
protectice plates in it) but I couldn't find it here in the States. I
looked at RED, Dakine and neither looked protective enough (in
particular the RED shorts had like tiny bits of foam on the tailbone
and I felt that was insufficient). My suggestion is www.skeletools.com.
I've also heard about Hill Billy Dirt Gear shorts
(http://www.mtbz.com/mountainboard_ac..._dirt_gear.htm)
--Arvin

Old January 11th 05, 05:24 PM

I teach snowboarding and have worn them everytime I ride. I have a set
of bike BMX pads, they are really nice and not bulky. When you are
riding the park and try a new trick having the padding helps or even if
you wipe on some ice. Just this weekend I was riding on a picnik table
that was in a /\ shape and there was some one just standing in the
blind landing. To avoid hitting him I bailed and landed on my ass, it
was nice since it did not hurt.

Protection is good!

Old January 11th 05, 06:39 PM
David

"lonerider" wrote in message oups.com...

I ride with them and I know a couple other intermediate/advanced riders
that wear them. I started wear them when I slipped out doing board
slides on rails and hit my tailbone on the rail.

When I did that I thought it would break my tailbone. It didn't. At least
that part was good. Didn't feel good though.

I wanted to try a butt/back pad before that. Wanted even more after, but
in the local shops or ski resorts, I'm lucky if I can even find padded shorts,
which seem to have too much padding where we don't need it, not enough
where we do.

I guess I could order online. Had to do that to get a good wrist-guards for my
daughter. It would be nice to try-before-I-buy though...

Old January 11th 05, 07:17 PM
bri719

Heather wrote:

[...]

I don't, but admittedly I don't do any ridiculously huge jumps. the
people I know who hit that stuff seem to wear butt pads way more than us
mere mortals! so don't feel ashamed. I've never really crunched my
tailbone but my left cheek and hip have felt more than their fair share
of pain, especially when I was learning. but still now and then...

I've heard the Red Impact Shorts are some of the better ones out there.
the women's variety will probably give you a better fit than the guy's
version (that's the idea, anyway). I've known girls who liked women's
specific equipment in sports like hockey and those that didn't. it's
all personal preference and fit. if you're built feminine as most are,
the women's probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

good luck w/ your bum :-)
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old January 11th 05, 07:25 PM
bri719

David wrote:

When I did that I thought it would break my tailbone. It didn't. At least
that part was good. Didn't feel good though.

I wanted to try a butt/back pad before that. Wanted even more after, but
in the local shops or ski resorts, I'm lucky if I can even find padded shorts,
which seem to have too much padding where we don't need it, not enough
where we do.

I guess I could order online. Had to do that to get a good wrist-guards for my
daughter. It would be nice to try-before-I-buy though...

you guys should consider roller hockey girdles as well if you don't like
the boarding-specific stuff. they're protective, especially the hip and
thigh and tailbone (not quite as much on the ass cheek itself, but still
good). Mission and a lot of other manufacturers make them. mine have
worked so well for me and pretty comfy, that I wear them for ice hockey
as well under a shell pant. most come with built-in cup holders for guys.

only drawback is mine won't quite fit under my snowboard pants unless I
get some baggier ones to wear. so I won't be using them on the snow
anytime soon, but if I decide to hit the park really hard in the future
and it's icy I just might.

I know someone else mentioned BMX pads, but the hockey ones are pretty
easy to find in sporting goods stores and not too expensive usually
which is why I bring them up. the model I have is the Matrix but those
are about 5 years old. I'm sure comparable ones are still available.

a few places to look and see what I'm talking about are hockeygiant.com,
hockeymonkey.com, sport chalet.com.

bri

Old January 12th 05, 01:25 AM
Iain Hendry

"Heather" wrote:

Has anybody used the "Red Impact Shorts - Womens" ?

I use the RED Impact Shorts for men (same thing, but with room to pee out
the front), and they're the only reason I'm still snowboarding. I'm
still fairly new (started last year) but they're great!

Iain

Old January 12th 05, 04:11 AM
lonerider

bri719 wrote:
Heather wrote:

I don't, but admittedly I don't do any ridiculously huge jumps. the
people I know who hit that stuff seem to wear butt pads way more than

us
mere mortals! so don't feel ashamed. I've never really crunched my
tailbone but my left cheek and hip have felt more than their fair

share
of pain, especially when I was learning. but still now and then...

I think it's really a personal comfort/preference thing. Do you need a
pair of butt pads? Not at all... but just because you can "tough it
out" doesn't mean you have to if you don't want to. It doesn't matter
what ability level you are at for that type of decision.

I've heard the Red Impact Shorts are some of the better ones out

there.
the women's variety will probably give you a better fit than the

guy's
version (that's the idea, anyway). I've known girls who liked

women's
specific equipment in sports like hockey and those that didn't. it's

all personal preference and fit. if you're built feminine as most

are,
the women's probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Depends on the company... some products just have cosmetic difference,
some are nicely redesigned for the female anatomical differences...
like slimmer calf muscles, wider hip to waist ratios, etc... I
definitely have heard several female hockey players rave about
female-specific shoulder pads with shaped chest plates.

Old January 12th 05, 05:12 AM
bri719

lonerider wrote:

Depends on the company... some products just have cosmetic difference,
some are nicely redesigned for the female anatomical differences...
like slimmer calf muscles, wider hip to waist ratios, etc... I
definitely have heard several female hockey players rave about
female-specific shoulder pads with shaped chest plates.

yeah exactly what I was thinking of...

but it really depends on the person the most. if you're built
tiny/petite or feel guy's pads just won't work for you, that's probably
a good way to go.

bri

--
* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD to reply

Old January 12th 05, 04:22 PM
todd

Heather wrote:
I'm just wondering whether many intermediate to advanced riders here
wear bum pads? People laugh when I tell them that I still use them
after 6 years. ...

Heather

I can't believe all you GIRLS are still wearing diapers when you
ride!!!!

Oh wait..that is a girl!?

Actually, yeah, I didn't wear them for years but had a pretty bad
injury two years ago and have worn one since. I go off trail a lot in
search of powder. Every once in a while you run into something under
the snow that throws you in one direction or another (another good
reason for a helmet). Well, I hit a rock on a moderately steep pitch
that threw me up and landed my tailbone squarely on the pointed tip of
a rock. It was ugly and was the first day of a 6 day Utah trip! ouch.

Bought the RED pads. No complaints other than the bright silver color.

Anyway, if I know the day will be particularly tame, I'll leave off the
man diapers, but otherwise, I'd much rather get up and go then be down
for several runs or much longer. Plus, if you really have to go and
there is no bathroom in sight...

Female Riders In Toronto - Ride VXn / Option Bella AsaaraAgain Snowboarding 0 March 4th 04 12:40 AM
Austria: where to go if advanced intermediate? Mike Harris Alpine Skiing 4 February 18th 04 09:09 AM
Does anyone use Pro-Tec IPS Hip Pads? james woods Snowboarding 0 December 29th 03 03:21 AM
Maine Riders Matt Alpine Skiing 0 November 21st 03 02:51 PM
Team Riders Wanted Coupdevill Snowboarding 0 September 9th 03 04:12 PM