Brian Head versus Arizona Snowbowl?

Old January 2nd 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Brian Head versus Arizona Snowbowl?

Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?
Old January 2nd 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/02/2017 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we
wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to
go. People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going
to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper
they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4
times as far?

I normally ski in SoCal at Big Bear. 180 miles round trip. I gladly
rented a car and drove 1,000 miles to ski at Brian Head for a week.
Excellent grooming, friendly staff, great on-slope food, inexpensive
lift tickets and lodging, and it's close to incredibly beautiful
National Parks and Monuments.

Never been to Snowbowl.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
Old January 3rd 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 12:00:44 PM UTC-8, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

If your timing is right Brian Head is good for a day of skiing on your way to or from Park City area or Cottonwood Canyons.

Starting in Vegas, Cedar City (the I-15 exit for Brian Head) is about where I have to stop and take a leak.
Old January 3rd 17, 10:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 6:00:42 PM UTC-8, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/02/2017 04:53 PM, wrote:
On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 12:00:44 PM UTC-8, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we
wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where
to go. People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth
going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper
they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving
4 times as far?

If your timing is right Brian Head is good for a day of skiing on
your way to or from Park City area or Cottonwood Canyons.

Starting in Vegas, Cedar City (the I-15 exit for Brian Head)

IF the road is open. If closed, turn right at Parowan.

is about where I have to stop and take a leak.

Gas at Costco in Vegas? I was really ****ed to find that the easy one
to get to doesn't sell the usual stuff.

Have you visited Kolob Canyon? If not, do so.

--
Cheers, Bev
When cryptography is outlawed, only outlaws will

Breakfast at midnight in Vegas means skiing the next day somewhere (if the roads and weather cooperate, and I have seen them not). I spun out my brother-in-law's van on black ice on the long uphill south of Cedar City, but right down the dotted line, ending up facing exactly the wrong way. The other passengers were all asleep and woke to find me turning around in the middle of the interstate. Another time I gave up trying to pass trucks because they were throwing up so much snow that I couldn't see 20 feet - about a mile down the road we came upon a wrecker towing a car out of the median effectively blocking the left lane.
Old January 4th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

On 01/02/2017 04:53 PM, wrote:
[...]

Angel Fire rocks, too.
Old January 4th 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:00:44 PM UTC-5, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

So... no one has been to Arizona Snowbowl?
Old January 4th 17, 11:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I hadn't thought of leaving the night before. That way we could do Zion
AND Kolob (my friend hasn't seen either) rather than just arriving and
skiing the next day. Yeah, I know, both are worth a lot more than a
drive-through, but choices have to be made.

I spun out my brother-in-law's van on black ice on the long uphill
south of Cedar City, but right down the dotted line, ending up
facing exactly the wrong way. The other passengers were all asleep
and woke to find me turning around in the middle of the interstate.

We did a thing like that in the van in the rain in Columbus, OH.
Smacked a bridge abutment which scars the van still bears, even after
vigorous hammering.

Another time I gave up trying to pass trucks because they were
throwing up so much snow that I couldn't see 20 feet - about a mile
down the road we came upon a wrecker towing a car out of the median
effectively blocking the left lane.

Hail like that on I-15 south of the 210 several years back. Could
barely see the car ahead of me, just a couple of faint red spots, even
though we had all slowed to the appropriate crawl. I couldn't even SEE
the overhead freeway signs, much less read them. Managed to find the
I-60 offramp. Half a mile to the west the
sun was shining.

--
Cheers, Bev
The volume of a pizza of thickness 'a' and radius 'z'

Old January 4th 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:

Breakfast at midnight in Vegas means skiing the next day somewhere
(if the roads and weather cooperate, and I have seen them not). I
spun out my brother-in-law's van on black ice on the long uphill
south of Cedar City, but right down the dotted line, ending up
facing exactly the wrong way. The other passengers were all asleep
and woke to find me turning around in the middle of the interstate.
Another time I gave up trying to pass trucks because they were
throwing up so much snow that I couldn't see 20 feet - about a mile
down the road we came upon a wrecker towing a car out of the median
effectively blocking the left lane.

Angel Fire rocks, too.

Grandspawn and his cousin drove from Dallas to AF, boarded, and drove
back all without sleeping. It's nice to be young.

Old January 4th 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

View of the Grand Canyon from the north rim.
Seldom visited, glorious view. Meteor Crater just off the route - VISIT.

While in Sedona, don't forget to drop in on Jerome.