Info on Zermatt

Old March 28th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul[_2_]

Default Info on Zermatt

I'm off to Zermatt with my son on 10 April for a week. I'm flying to Geneve
from Liverpool and then getting the train. We are staying in the Albana Real
which is in Schluhmattstrasse.

I'm a Zermatt virgin so I'd welcome a few clues about getting around and
making the most of the place. For instance:

* I gather that Zermatt is a ped-zone so how do we get from the Bahnhoff to
the hotel with luggage? Do we walk or is there an alternative?

* what's the lift pass deal? How much? Where do you get them? Do you need a
photo? Any tips or traps?

* we take our own boots but prefer to hire skis. Where's the best/most
convenient hire shop? What brands of kit are we likely to be offered (I like
to do a bit of research before I go)? I'm generally looking for something
like the Rossi B2;

* I gather the ski areas are all a bit separate and involve a fair hike to
the lifts. Any comments or suggestions about the lifts/ski areas (which are
best, or best in certain circumstances; what's the best sequence to do them
in?). My son is a very good, and I'm a pretty good, skier but we are likely
to be on-piste most of the time (so it is decreed by she who will not be
coming with us!);

* in Austria and parts of Italy, the lifts have ski and boot storage
facilities to save you tromping about in boots etc. Is there anything like
that in Z and is it a waste of time anyway because of the way the slopes and
lifts are spread about?

* any particular recommendations for mountain or village restaurants (though
we are half board) or for apres-ski?

* how technologically advanced is Zermatt? I'm going to have to do some work
while I'm there so I'll need some connectivity. I've got a 3G data card but
are there any convenient alternatives (and I don't include internet cafes in
the definition of 'convenient')?

* we'll be arriving late Tuesday (probably too late to sort out the kit
hire). I know SCGB has a host in Z but only to the end of the week. Is it
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

* Anything else I should know but am too ignorant to ask?

Thanks for your help, if you can.

Paul

Old March 28th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Richard & Barbara

A hotel porter will collect your luggage. There are phones to each hotel at
the end of the Bahnhof platform. The porter will be at your side within 10
minutes.

Lift passes are sold at all lift stations and at the Ski School.

All the sport shops have first class equipment.

Ski with a guide or a class for the first few days.

A good deal of the information you received was inadequate or plain wrong.

The mountain restaurants are the best in the world.

The Stoked Ski School has first class internet facilities.

Ski Cervinia and Valtournenche in perfect weather. Do not stay there. You
may not be able to get back.

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul wrote:
* I gather that Zermatt is a ped-zone so how do we get from the Bahnhoff
the hotel with luggage? Do we walk or is there an alternative?

Walk or electric carts.

Every Swiss town basically has it own subdomain. zermatt.ch in this case.
Typically in 3-4 languages (up to 6 in some case, Zermatt might be
closer to 6).

* what's the lift pass deal? How much? Where do you get them? Do you need
photo? Any tips or traps?

Go into the tourist office and buy one. They have separate lines for
1st timers where they will explain the options. They are RIFDs, and the
longer passes I seem to recall they take your photo. I think 3days may
be the cut off. The rate should be on the web site.
I think you get a refund of a few SFs or you keep as a souvenir.

* we take our own boots but prefer to hire skis. Where's the best/most
convenient hire shop? What brands of kit are we likely to be offered (I
like
to do a bit of research before I go)? I'm generally looking for something
like the Rossi B2;

Best to ask your hotel. They may rent. I do recall one was also an
internet hot spot.

* I gather the ski areas are all a bit separate and involve a fair hike to
the lifts. Any comments or suggestions about the lifts/ski areas (which
are
best, or best in certain circumstances; what's the best sequence to do
them
in?). My son is a very good, and I'm a pretty good, skier but we are
likely
to be on-piste most of the time (so it is decreed by she who will not be
coming with us!);

Oh just ski around. Discovery is part of it. It will depend on the
weather. Sunny (Sunnhga or however you spell it) is OK, but down canyon
and out of the way. The train up to the Gornergrat should be
experienced as a tourist thing. They will close areas for avalanche.
Then there is the area below the Kleine Matterhorn: high, but easy where
the glaciers are, can be windy. Etc. Then 2 areas over in Italy
(Breuil/Cervina).

* in Austria and parts of Italy, the lifts have ski and boot storage
facilities to save you tromping about in boots etc. Is there anything like
that in Z and is it a waste of time anyway because of the way the slopes
and
lifts are spread about?

At the train station and elsewhere, too fair except for the slow
Gornergrat train which is separate from the main line.

* any particular recommendations for mountain or village restaurants
(though
we are half board) or for apres-ski?

None. I merely stayed twice at the hostel and over in Italy once.
I didn't go for the skiing so much as alpine tourism but I got 10 nice
days of skiing over 2 different seasons. I'm skiing other parts of the
Alps now.

* how technologically advanced is Zermatt? I'm going to have to do some
work
while I'm there so I'll need some connectivity. I've got a 3G data card
but
are there any convenient alternatives (and I don't include internet cafes
in
the definition of 'convenient')?

I'm on vacation there.
Well they don't hold the World Economic Forum in Zermatt, nor do they
have a Rapier air defense system over it like Davos, but they are not
slouches. They don't have the center for the study of snow and ice like
Davos (one can at least argue for a supercomputer center in Davos), but
you should best check with your lodging. I've only used Internet cafes.
Like their defense, they tend to keep their technology hidden. If you
want technology I recommend the EPFL in Lausanne down the Rhone Valley
(the ETH prides itself more on theory).

You can watch Swiss F/A-18Cs on occasion fly over.

I've seen old wooden huts with modern photovoltaic arras on them in
Zermatt.

SCGB has a host in Z
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

They're their own droppings all over the Alps.
It's a judgment call on your part.
I try to make my own value. I only have limited time when I go on
vacation and I'd rather wait (like the Japanese [typically in day glow])
for others. You will not have time to do and see every thing.

* Anything else I should know but am too ignorant to ask?

You should ask questions about Italy and skiing over there and possibley
staying one night.

Best to read on Whymper and is role in the Matterhorn. See the Museum.
Get the history. Eat food, have a good time.

Old March 28th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:06:15 +0100, "Paul" wrote:

I'm a Zermatt virgin so I'd welcome a few clues about getting around and
making the most of the place. For instance:

Possibly not adding much to what's already been said, but I'll give my
2p worth anyway. I do suggest, however, that you spend some time
browsing bothe the skiclub site
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/res...sg/default.asp (for which
you need to register or be a member) and the zermatt site
http://www.zermatt.ch/index.e.html both of which have loads of useful
information.

* I gather that Zermatt is a ped-zone so how do we get from the Bahnhoff to
the hotel with luggage? Do we walk or is there an alternative?

Most hotels run electric carts which you just call from the Station.
There's a special phone with direct links. You may have to wait a few
minutes if it's busy, but the cart will take both you and your gear to
the hotel.

If your hotel doesn't have its own carts, you can pay for one, but
there aren't many and this may be difficult if it's busy. I suggest
you check with the hotel first.

* what's the lift pass deal? How much? Where do you get them? Do you need a
photo? Any tips or traps?

It's on an electronic system, as are virtually all Swiss resorts now,
and I think that you no longer need a photo. Last time I remember
having a photo on the pass they were happy to just copy your passport
one, so you certainly don't need to take one specially. All the inbfo
you need about prices and pre-booking (online) is available at the
Zermatt link I posted above.

* we take our own boots but prefer to hire skis. Where's the best/most
convenient hire shop? What brands of kit are we likely to be offered (I like
to do a bit of research before I go)? I'm generally looking for something
like the Rossi B2;

I'd go to the closest hire shop to your hotel. They will all have
top-spec kit in good condition, and I don't imagine you'll find a
single one that cant' provide you with a B2.

Look on the SkiClub site, under discounts, to find where members can
get up to 25% reductions.

* I gather the ski areas are all a bit separate and involve a fair hike to
the lifts. Any comments or suggestions about the lifts/ski areas (which are
best, or best in certain circumstances; what's the best sequence to do them
in?). My son is a very good, and I'm a pretty good, skier but we are likely
to be on-piste most of the time (so it is decreed by she who will not be
coming with us!);

It's really not at all bad. Sounds like you've been misinformed.
Rather than listing the routes, I suggest you look on the detailed
piste map on the Zermatt website. There are regular buses around the
village to both the Klein Matterhorn cablecar and the Sunnega
Funicular. as well as the main railway station whioch is right
opposite the railway link up the the Gornergrat area.

Linking between lifts on the mountain is not at all difficult. As far
as I can recall, the only link that invloves a very short pole/walk
uphill is to get to the Furi lift if you've been skiing the
Gornerghrat area. But it's not a problem in the slightest.

* in Austria and parts of Italy, the lifts have ski and boot storage
facilities to save you tromping about in boots etc. Is there anything like
that in Z and is it a waste of time anyway because of the way the slopes and
lifts are spread about?

Yes, there are ski and boot lockers at the middle cablecar stations,
costing about 2 Fr per night, IIRC. But don't be tempted to leave your
boots up there, unless you like putting on frozen wet boots first
thing in the morning.

* any particular recommendations for mountain or village restaurants (though
we are half board) or for apres-ski?

All of them. But some may have closed at that point in the season,
depending on weather and snow conditions.

* how technologically advanced is Zermatt? I'm going to have to do some work
while I'm there so I'll need some connectivity. I've got a 3G data card but
are there any convenient alternatives (and I don't include internet cafes in
the definition of 'convenient')?

It's in Swizerland, ergo of course you'll be able to get connected.
Check with your hotel, who will speak English, but most have at least
adsl and often wireless hotspots available free to guests.

* we'll be arriving late Tuesday (probably too late to sort out the kit
hire). I know SCGB has a host in Z but only to the end of the week. Is it
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

Normally I'd say yes, use the online pre-booking facility to make it
easier for both you and the rep, but sadly we only have a rep there
until April 14th, so you're out of luck, I'm afraid.

* Anything else I should know but am too ignorant to ask?

Are there any possible questions left? ;-)

Thanks for your help, if you can.

No prob.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 28th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 27 Mar 2007 17:46:55 -0800, (Eugene Miya)
wrote:

In article ,
Paul wrote:

SCGB has a host in Z
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

They're their own droppings all over the Alps.

I say! There's no call for that, old chap. Many, many members (and
don't forget there are ~30000 of us) prefer both the freedom and the
sociability of skiing with a rep on those days where the programme is
suitable. So popular is the service that for much of the season we
actually have two reps in Zermatt.

It's a judgment call on your part.

Sure, and he's already expressed enough lack of awareness/confidence
that it's clear he'll benefit from having a rep show him around. Don't
knock it just because you don't feel it suits you.

As it happens, both my wife and I are reps, and tend to ski most
weekends through the season, so clearly are more than happy to turn up
in a new resort and not feel the need to be guided around, but
whenever practical we'll try to hook up with the incumbent rep for a
day, just because we enjoy skiing with other people too.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
Old March 31st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Paul" wrote in message
I'm off to Zermatt with my son on 10 April for a week. I'm flying to
Geneve from Liverpool and then getting the train. We are staying in the
Albana Real which is in Schluhmattstrasse.

I'm a Zermatt virgin so I'd welcome a few clues about getting around and
making the most of the place. For instance:

* I gather that Zermatt is a ped-zone so how do we get from the Bahnhoff
to the hotel with luggage? Do we walk or is there an alternative?

Usually the hotel will collect you. There is a phone for this purpose at
the station.

* what's the lift pass deal? How much? Where do you get them? Do you need
a photo? Any tips or traps?

See Web site - an International pass will include Cervinia. Take passport if
returning via cable car - there are random checks!

* we take our own boots but prefer to hire skis. Where's the best/most
convenient hire shop? What brands of kit are we likely to be offered (I
like to do a bit of research before I go)? I'm generally looking for
something like the Rossi B2;

We use Dorsaz Sport. It is by the lift to Furi. We leave own boots and
hired skis in shop at the end of each day. (We have stayed in hotels close
by)

http://www.dorsaz-sport.ch/

* I gather the ski areas are all a bit separate and involve a fair hike to
the lifts.

No longer the case since the introduction this year of the Furi - Riffelberg
lift

Any comments or suggestions about the lifts/ski areas (which are best, or
best in certain circumstances; what's the best sequence to do them in?).
My son is a very good, and I'm a pretty good, skier but we are likely to
be on-piste most of the time (so it is decreed by she who will not be
coming with us!);

* in Austria and parts of Italy, the lifts have ski and boot storage
facilities to save you tromping about in boots etc. Is there anything like
that in Z and is it a waste of time anyway because of the way the slopes
and lifts are spread about?

* any particular recommendations for mountain or village restaurants
(though we are half board) or for apres-ski?

Fluhalp, Schwarzsee

There was a place on the left between Furi and Zermatt at the end of a flat
section just before you go down a little dip. We used to go upstairs.

* how technologically advanced is Zermatt? I'm going to have to do some
work while I'm there so I'll need some connectivity. I've got a 3G data
card but are there any convenient alternatives (and I don't include
internet cafes in the definition of 'convenient')?

The hotel we stayed at had 'Free PCs' and there was also a wireless network
in the hotel.

* we'll be arriving late Tuesday (probably too late to sort out the kit
hire). I know SCGB has a host in Z but only to the end of the week. Is it
worth trying to connect wirth her/him part way through the week?

I think that would depend on you and whether you like skiing with others.

Old March 31st 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Paul" wrote in message

* Anything else I should know but am too ignorant to ask?

Cervinia is worth visiting, but you must watch the weather, especially the
wind.

The three chair lifts frm Plan Maison are more likely to be running than the
cable car.

--
Michael Chare

Old April 1st 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:57:11 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Zermatt

See Web site - an International pass will include Cervinia. Take passport if
returning via cable car - there are random checks!

I don't think so. Since both Italy and Switzerland are signatories of
the Schengen agreement, passports are not required to cross the
border.

On the other hand, at normal road crossings around here, CH-France and
Germany, there are sometimes checks, but they're nearly always
concentrating on possible illicit goods, and if they do ever ask for
'papers please' any form of ID and/or car documents is all they're
asking for.

Be aware that many countries, including CH, do actually require that
you carry ID at all times anyway.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 1st 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Ace" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:57:11 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Zermatt

See Web site - an International pass will include Cervinia. Take passport
if
returning via cable car - there are random checks!

I don't think so. Since both Italy and Switzerland are signatories of
the Schengen agreement, passports are not required to cross the
border.

I've been stopped twice. There is an office for the Caberini at the bottom
of the cable car that takes you back to Zermatt.

Once I did not have any proof of ID apart from a credit card, so I had to
wait whilst my details were entered on some log.

--
Michael Chare

Zermatt? NM European Ski Resorts 5 March 20th 06 03:20 AM
Zermatt miltonskyring European Ski Resorts 14 February 24th 06 11:48 AM
ZERMATT Flavio Silva European Ski Resorts 4 October 25th 05 12:12 AM
Zermatt Sandy Clyburn European Ski Resorts 21 January 21st 04 07:33 PM
Where to ski besides Zermatt? Johannes European Ski Resorts 15 November 25th 03 08:55 AM