least crowded resort with warm temperature

Old September 23rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
acorn

Default least crowded resort with warm temperature

What are some of the least crowded ski resorts in the USA where the
temperature won't be too cold in March? Any price.

Old September 23rd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

acorn wrote:
What are some of the least crowded ski resorts in the USA where the
temperature won't be too cold in March? Any price.

It is unusual for anyplace in the lower
48 to be uncomfortably cold in March.

Here in the Northeast, we consider December
and January as necessary to get into shape
for Feb, March and April.

IMO, March is the best month to ski. Longer
daylight hours, higher temps, better snow.
Here in Vermont, March typically gets the
largest amount of snowfall without nasty
thaws and really horrendous re-freezes of
January.

So, if you are stuck with the east, March
is just the best.

If you can go west, I like the Tahoe areas
about as well as anything. Though Colorado
is said to be really nice, the best skiing
is higher and I start to wheeze above 10K'.

Un-crowded? Well can you pick your days?
Saturdays are always best left for football
on TV. Sundays start to clear out in the
PM and Monday thru Friday is great anywhere.
Old September 23rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
acorn

"VtSkier" wrote in message
acorn wrote:
[...]

I would have to go during a school holiday so it will be crowded everywhere.
That's why I'm wondering the top one or two least-crowded places to go, even
if they are very expensive. Thanks for the other thoughts.

Old September 23rd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Sep 23, 10:36*am, "acorn" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

acorn wrote:
[...]

Taos, NM. Telluride, CO come to mind. Both are in the middle of
nowhere, and thus, don't have insane crowds at this time of the year.
Old September 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ernieman

"acorn" wrote in message
What are some of the least crowded ski resorts in the USA where the
temperature won't be too cold in March? Any price.

Since cost is not an issue, I recommend Aspen, and especially Snowmass.
While I never skied during the Christmas/New Year rush, at other times we
never waited five minutes for lifts at Snowmass, and 95% of the time we just
ski onto the lifts. Aspen Highlands is equally uncrowded. Aspen Mountain
can get a little busier at times, but in my experience, never the mad-house
of Summit County/Vail resorts.

If you have a beginner in your group, Buttermilk at Aspen is an excellent
place to learn. The four mountains are on one interchangeable ticket, and
free bus transportation between them.

On the negative side, Aspen is 2.5 - 3 hours drive from Denver airport. You
can fly into Aspen, but flight to Aspen is likely to cost $100 - 200 more
than to Denver.

March tends to be a great time to ski: 4-6 of powder at night, and sunny
days!

Ernie

Old September 23rd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

acorn wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message
acorn wrote:
[...]

Where are you? I don't recall any school holidays
in March. Our local holidays are President's week
in late Feb and Spring break in April. Nothing
that I can recall in March.
Old September 23rd 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Sep 23, 10:45*am, "acorn" wrote:
What are some of the least crowded ski resorts in the USA where the
temperature won't be too cold in March? *Any price.

I'd go for something in Montana.

http://www.montanaskiresorts.com/

Bridger Bowl is nice, as is Big Sky. And they are off the beaten path
so you don't the plane and bus loads of spring breakers. If you plan
it right, you could hit a different resort every day. Plus, the
prices are much lower than the mega resort areas of Tahoe, Colorado
and Utah.
Old September 23rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
snoig wrote:

On Sep 23, 10:45*am, "acorn" wrote:
What are some of the least crowded ski resorts in the USA where the
temperature won't be too cold in March? *Any price.

I am a huge fan of the Salt Lake City area. I stay in the city and
drive to what ever resort has the best conditions that day. While there
are no guarantees, I have never gotten skunked there in March and have
had some incredible days over the past 14 years there. HTH. TMMV.

Dave
Old September 23rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Sep 23, 2:57*pm, VtSkier wrote:
acorn wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message
acorn wrote:
[...]

That doesn't stop most people / families.
Old September 24th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

acorn wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message
acorn wrote:
[...]

You're right, except that we don't see the BIG
crowds during the week except during school
vacation times.