The fat lady...

Old March 16th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default The fat lady...

....is starting to sing.

The forecast for tomorrow at the ski hill calls for a high of 76F and
thunderstorms. I was going to go for a final weekend of spring skiing,
but I've decided to launch the sailboat instead.

Next weekend it's supposed to get down into the 30s overnight, so I'll
try again in a week.

What a weird winter! It started 3 weeks late and now it's ending 4
weeks early.

//
Old March 16th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/16/2012 3:17 PM, Walt wrote:
...is starting to sing.

What a weird winter! It started 3 weeks late and now it's ending 4
weeks early.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, we survived the yesterday's tornado
with no more damage than some water in the garage.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/washten...ed-by-tornado/

Amazing that nobody got hurt in this one. There's some pretty serious
carnage. It's as if a whole horde of Mighty Hungarian Warriors
descended on the town of Dexter.

//Walt
Old March 16th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 3/16/12 12:40 PM, Walt wrote:
Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, we survived the yesterday's tornado
with no more damage than some water in the garage.

Glad to hear it. Around hear high winds are 25mph.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/washten...ed-by-tornado/

Amazing that nobody got hurt in this one. There's some pretty serious
carnage.

I take umbrage at carnage. For carnage you gotta have some flayed meat
laying about. So you actually had some pretty serious uncarnage.
Old March 16th 12, 08:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Friday, March 16, 2012 1:20:09 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/16/12 12:40 PM, Walt wrote:
Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, we survived the yesterday's tornado
with no more damage than some water in the garage.

I wasn't wondering.
I could give a **** about you.

Amazing that nobody got hurt in this one. There's some pretty serious
carnage.

I take umbrage at carnage. For carnage you gotta have some flayed meat
laying about. So you actually had some pretty serious uncarnage.

If a pussy Hungarian faux warrior attacked the town, there would be some meat flayed. All he can do unless there is an inflatable doll handy.
Old March 17th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 03/16/2012 12:17 PM, Walt wrote:

...is starting to sing.

The forecast for tomorrow at the ski hill calls for a high of 76F and
thunderstorms. I was going to go for a final weekend of spring skiing,
but I've decided to launch the sailboat instead.

Next weekend it's supposed to get down into the 30s overnight, so I'll
try again in a week.

What a weird winter! It started 3 weeks late and now it's ending 4
weeks early.

You just live in the wrong place. First time I ever skied in November
was last year, and it was only the second December. 11 days this
weason. Would have been 12 except for car trouble. Next Tuesday will
be #12, and maybe even one or two more after that.

--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Old March 17th 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/17/2012 2:00 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/16/2012 12:17 PM, Walt wrote:

...is starting to sing.

The forecast for tomorrow at the ski hill calls for a high of 76F and
thunderstorms. I was going to go for a final weekend of spring skiing,
but I've decided to launch the sailboat instead.

Next weekend it's supposed to get down into the 30s overnight, so I'll
try again in a week.

What a weird winter! It started 3 weeks late and now it's ending 4
weeks early.

You just live in the wrong place.

You mean North America? Except for a few pockets, winter was light
pretty much everywhere in NA this year.

First time I ever skied in November
was last year, and it was only the second December. 11 days this
weason. Would have been 12 except for car trouble. Next Tuesday will
be #12, and maybe even one or two more after that.

Normal for here is mid November to mid April, at which point the hill
closes for lack of customers not lack of snow. This year we didn't get
going til mid December and I'm not sure if they're going to make it to
April this year. Still managed to get in over 30 days - if I didn't
have this thing called a job, it'd probably be more like 100.

Well, off to the lake!

//Walt

Old March 17th 12, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Friday, March 16, 2012 11:00:06 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

I have skied in November before this year, but never as early as Nov 11.

Last year I had hoped to do a June-July trip to Mammoth, but real life intruded. It doesn't look like that will be possible this year, unless the currenr storm is the beginning of a miracle March.
Old March 17th 12, 02:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:24:25 AM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Sometimes you have to just take in the view

http://www.mammothmountain.com/MYMam...ms/villageCam/

http://www.rntl.net/tahoecam.htm

http://www.squaw.com/the-mountain/webcams#content_title

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/w...-sentinel-dome

(I left out the Snow Summit cams because it seems to be raining there now)
Old March 17th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/17/2012 08:34 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

(I left out the Snow Summit cams because it seems to be raining
there now)

It's certainly raining here now, which kills yard sales. Even the
suspicion of rain kills yard sales.

They best yard sales here are after a long dry spell or a rain and freeze, when
the slopes get really icy.

Old March 17th 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/17/2012 08:34 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

(I left out the Snow Summit cams because it seems to be raining
there now)

It's certainly raining here now, which kills yard sales. Even the
suspicion of rain kills yard sales.

They best yard sales here are after a long dry spell or a rain and freeze, when
the slopes get really icy.

Had a detailed conversation with a supplier in Washington DC area that
was shocked that any skiing took place this year. Which really seems to
be the impression when I run into race people that I have not seen all
winter. The words are skiing where? then "really" followed by"you must
be kidding me"

Too often the yard sales in this area have a pro service doing them, the
other observation is the prices are too high for the junk. The other
pitch is the item will be collectible soon. Several of the locations for
race tracks have trailer parks nearby a few have permanent yard sale
tables out front & I have found better prices in Brooklyn.
If you put up signs you get people coming the day before and they sit
outside an hour before you open. I have done some plants sales here for
some societies and with the traffic you get people to stop. Often I work
in my garage and driveway and frequently people will stop and ask what
for sale.