Where to buy blue wax in Boston?

Old January 9th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

Default Where to buy blue wax in Boston?

I'm leaving for Colorado on Saturday (yay!) and my host just called to tell
me that he's got a wax crisis: it's cold, he's all out of blue wax, and
he's running low on purple/red, and apparently Boulder Ski Deals has
nothing. My mission is to pick up some more blue wax before I head out;
the problem is, between now and then I'm going to be in Boston. Do I have
a hope of finding blue wax anywhere in Boston, or is it going to all be
all-temperature crap?

TIA,
Old January 9th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:

I'm leaving for Colorado on Saturday (yay!) and my host just called to tell
me that he's got a wax crisis: it's cold, he's all out of blue wax, and
he's running low on purple/red, and apparently Boulder Ski Deals has
nothing. My mission is to pick up some more blue wax before I head out;
the problem is, between now and then I'm going to be in Boston. Do I have
a hope of finding blue wax anywhere in Boston, or is it going to all be
all-temperature crap?

I'd say that if you can find blue, purple, and red wax in friggin'
Detroit you should be able to find it in Boston. Call around.
Old January 10th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

I'm leaving for Colorado on Saturday (yay!) and my host just called to
tell me that he's got a wax crisis: it's cold, he's all out of blue
wax, and he's running low on purple/red, and apparently Boulder Ski
Deals has nothing. My mission is to pick up some more blue wax before
I head out; the problem is, between now and then I'm going to be in
Boston. Do I have a hope of finding blue wax anywhere in Boston, or
is it going to all be all-temperature crap?

I'd say that if you can find blue, purple, and red wax in friggin'
Detroit you should be able to find it in Boston. Call around.

I say get some paraffin, melt it down with some blue food dye, and see
if your friends actually can tell the difference. I bet not, if you
scrape well before skiing. (I mean really well, no surface wax left at
all. In fact no wax at all will do nicely for recreational skiing on
cold snow.)

Old January 22nd 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

Right, uhhhh, well, thanks for ALL THE HELP...

Some things never change.
Old January 22nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Y

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
6...
Right, uhhhh, well, thanks for ALL THE HELP...

Some things never change.

Did you try Strands in Worcester?

Old January 22nd 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Mary Malmros wrote:
Right, uhhhh, well, thanks for ALL THE HELP...

Some things never change.

I was at mt snow had a tool kit with a drawer of wax's but none that
said BLUE.
Old January 22nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Mary Malmros wrote:
Right, uhhhh, well, thanks for ALL THE HELP...

Some things never change.

But I'm serious, Mary.

On cold snow with no spring sun warming the surface (unless it's racing
at a very high level where oddball concoctions are used) you won't
notice a difference between no wax and hard blue or purple wax well
scraped. Poorly scraped hard blue or purple wax will be slower than no wax.

In fact, if someone feels like their wax is slowing them down on cold
snow it's 99% sure they have residual surface wax on their skis that the
ice crystals are digging into. Scrape well (remove ALL possible wax) and
the skis will glide.

But you know all this - you've been doing this a long time.

Newbies take note:
Ski wax is nearly 100% paraffin (wax, not kerosene, you limeys) with
minor additives called microwaxes (because of their micro-structure.)
Paraffin is sold cheap in grocery stores for home canning of fruit.
Yellow ski wax has almost no additives except the yellow dye for color -
cold weather wax (purple, etc) have allot - start with canning paraffin
for average-warm weather, and add a dash for purple when you wax for
very cold snow. You can save a bundle of money. Or save even more by
just scraping well for cold snow. Wax is needed for warm and wet snow.

BTW, the color dye scheme is a sales gimmick invented by one ski wax
company - most of the others followed suit - but there's no technical
reason for the color - read the label, don't just select based on color.
Old January 22nd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Mary Malmros wrote:
[...]

I never scrape the wax off after waxing. I let the first run do that for
me. Unless,
you are racing or dong technical skiing the first run or two, I never seen a
real
reason to. Sure the base will look real nice if you scrape off the excess
and
brush. After the first run the base will look just as nice and clean.

I've looked for paraffin wax at all my local grocery stores and they never
have it
and some don't even know what I am asking for. So I order my ski wax off
eBay,
it is a whole lot cheaper than the ski shops about a 1/4 of the price.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 22nd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

lal_truckee wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
[...]

So, for example,

SWIX CH Yellow hardness = SWIX CH Green hardness? No way.

I agree, any extra wax of any hardness on the base of your ski on a
cold day is not good. But, any extra wax the base of your ski on any
day (warm or cold) is not good. Always scrape and brush the excess wax
to both reduce drag from cold hard snow and to expose base structure.

The color does have a menaing.
--
Marty