Just bought board - Is it big enough??

Old March 11th 06, 05:09 PM

Default Just bought board - Is it big enough??

I'm a novice to intermediate boarder and thought I'd buy a board in the
sales ready for next season. I've gone for a Ride 'decade' 160 cm, and Flow
amp 5 bindings.

I discussed a variety of options with the guy in the shop but I think the
boards I've hired before have been wider. The selection of sale boards
wasn't great so I ended up going for this, but now I'm wondering if I should
have gone for a wide board instead. I'm 6ft 2" tall and weigh about 95
kilos, and have a UK size 10 (US 11) boot.

I'll have a bit of toe overhang on the board - is this usual? I could
probably swap it for something else over the next few days, so please let me
know if I'd be better off with something else.

Cheers

James

Old March 11th 06, 05:47 PM

1.5 inch of toe overlap with tall bindings is fine, as is 1" of heel
overlap.
Your pressure points are the ball of your foot toeside, and center of
heelbone on the heel side, so that should be close to the edges.
I'm same size boots, and boards over 252 are fine for all
snowboarding.

Old March 11th 06, 06:26 PM

"LeeD" wrote in message

Your pressure points are the ball of your foot toeside, and center of
heelbone on the heel side, so that should be close to the edges.
I'm same size boots, and boards over 252 are fine for all
snowboarding.

The width is 251 - Still ok?

Old March 11th 06, 06:41 PM

Your pressure points are the ball of your foot toeside, and center of
heelbone on the heel side, so that should be close to the edges.
I'm same size boots, and boards over 252 are fine for all
snowboarding.

The width is 251 - Still ok?

That measurement is in millimeters... 1mm is not going to make a difference.

I personally think the 1" heel and 1.5" toe overhang is too much, but that's
because I like to get my board up on edge. For an intermeditae rider it
probably works just fine. If you have aspirations of learning to carve
aggressively or learning advanced halfpipe skills, you may want to go back
to something wider. Just my personal opinion. You can read a recent
thread entitled "Ride Fleetwood - DeLurk question" for more discussiuon on
this topic. I personally prefer about 3/8" overhang on all 4 corners w/
soft boots, and zero on hard boots. My preferences are "normal" for hard
boots, and at the low end of the spectrum for softies.

Mike T

Old March 11th 06, 06:58 PM

James Varty wrote:
"LeeD" wrote in message

Your pressure points are the ball of your foot toeside, and center of
heelbone on the heel side, so that should be close to the edges.
I'm same size boots, and boards over 252 are fine for all
snowboarding.

The width is 251 - Still ok?

It really depends on your style of riding. As a novice, maybe a 25 cm
board will be OK in size 11 feet. An advanced rider would probably find
it too narrow as they will get toe/heel drag (I'm assuming a fairly
straight stance here). The 1.5" of toe overhang that Lee thinks is OK
is not OK in my book, but you see a lot of recreational riders who do
fine with that because they never tip the board over very far.

IMO a 160 at your size is kind of short, but lots of people like them
short. It also really depends on the style of board, I'm not familiar
with the particular model you've bought.

Neil
Old March 11th 06, 07:41 PM

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
James Varty wrote:
"LeeD" wrote in message

[...]

For overhang, I would try to keep it at or below 1 1/4, The actual
overhang also depends on the binding angle. For board size, at 95kg
and 6-2 I'd say 160 is at the low end of the recommended range, I
certainly wouldn't go shorter. If it were me, I'd get something in
the 164-166 area, which should also give you a little more width.

Old March 12th 06, 12:10 AM

I actually agree with all you guys, but since James is kinda starting
out, he can choose a wider board for his next 6 to 20 boards.
At size 11, 25.8 is about right, even for pure pipe, hiking and not
riding anywhere else. But my bindings have really high toe ramps, and
the plasticl rear hoop clears by well over 60 degrees.
He's gotta start somewhere, and I actually have seen good riders with
size 12's on Customs (248cm waist) and ride OK.

Old March 12th 06, 04:01 AM

WIde boards suck If 251mm is a bit narrow adjust your stance or get
power plates. In anything but deep powder wider is definately not
better.

Old March 12th 06, 11:00 AM

"og" wrote in message
WIde boards suck If 251mm is a bit narrow adjust your stance or get
power plates. In anything but deep powder wider is definately not
better.

What is the problem with wide boards?

Old March 12th 06, 11:37 AM

I wont get to try this board for at least 6 months (!!) so I need to make a
descision. The shop only has a few models left that would be suitable, so
the only realistic option is to swap the Ride Decade 160 for a Ride Yukon
163. The Yukon has a wide waist, and I'll be getting an extra 3cm on the
length.

What should I do - stick with the decade or pay extra and swap for the
Yukon?

As a novice / intermediate rider I dont have the experience or knowledge to
know what would be best, so I'll go with the majority desision!

Cheers

James