Step-in bindings questions.

Old August 27th 04, 03:16 PM
Neil Gendzwill

og wrote:

Just a couple things:

1. I click on the lift and ride away. That's huge for me: Old,
injuries, etc.

That's a big advantage. Another huge advantage not often mentioned is
on the flats, where being able to easily click out and skate, then click
in when you have enough of a downhill to get going again, is huge.

The original poster mentioned he liked the stiffness of the step-in
set-up. Have you considered riding hard boots? There are some softer
hard boots that are excellent for free-riding, and the Intec step-in
system for hard boots works much better than any of the soft boot
setups. So long as you don't care about getting all twisted and tweaked
in the park, a set of softer hard boots like the Raichle SB 413 are
great for free-riding.

Neil

Old August 27th 04, 03:37 PM
Mike T

The original poster mentioned he liked the stiffness of the step-in
set-up. Have you considered riding hard boots? There are some softer
hard boots that are excellent for free-riding, and the Intec step-in
system for hard boots works much better than any of the soft boot setups.
So long as you don't care about getting all twisted and tweaked in the
park, a set of softer hard boots like the Raichle SB 413 are great for
free-riding.

I agree with most of what Arvin said, regarding straps vs. softie step-ins.
The only part I disagree with is, all else being equal, I would choose
straps. Why? Because as I'm known for saying, the three most important
concerns about snowboard boots are fit, fit, and fit. And rarely does
anyone get snowboard boots that really fit on their first try. By going
straps, you allow yourself the option of trying different boots when you
realize you need a better fit.

Regarding hard boots - and I am a huge fan of hard boots - I encourage
everyone who has the opoortinity (access to a demo) to try them. The one
thing is, hard boots don't work so well in a fresstyle stance; to see the
light, IMHO you really need your back foot at least 35 or 40 degrees. So if
you want to ride a fressrtle stance (back foot either close to zero, or
negative) then don't do hard boots.

I'll most certainly second Neil's statement that the Intec step-in mechanism
rules. The best part is that all modern hard boots can bbe trivially fitted
with Intec heels.

Mike T

Old August 27th 04, 04:27 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Mike T wrote:
The one thing is, hard boots don't work so well in a fresstyle stance; to
see the light, IMHO you really need your back foot at least 35 or 40

degrees.

Naw. You won't get a straight stance, but you don't have to go 40
degrees either. I happily rode at 30 degrees or so on my old Asym Air.
OTOH if you get a medium-waisted board (say 21.5 cm like many of the
all-mountain boards) and set 'er up at 40 or 45, you've got a good
go-anywhere setup. So long as anywhere means natural mountain features,
not the double-kink rail.

Neil

Old August 27th 04, 08:17 PM
Jason Watkins

Short answer is: go for the best fitting boot, and worry about
bindings as a 2nd priority. Most people like the feel of straps
better. If you conclude that you're the kind of rider that likes to
use the cuff of the boot as a lever instead of pushing and pulling
with your toes, then you may be a canidate for stiff step in boots.

But having boots that fit well is definately most important.

Some strap bindings are faster to strap than others. I use salomon
spx6's, where when you loosen the toe strap, it doesn't come totally
undone. That speeds up the strap in time. Actually, with those
bindings most of the time I can strap in while gliding and not even
sit down. Otherwise it's really just a 3 to 5 second affair.

I've only ridden Flow for an afternoon, but I liked them quite a bit.
They are hard to adjust, but once you settle on settings that doesn't
matter. The way they ride is awsome... very supportive. Again, if
you're in the 'push on the cuff more than pull the toes' camp, take a
look at the stiff flow bindings.

I believe flow has a patent on opening highbacks for snowboard
bindings. If K2 has a new similar product, they've probibly liscensed
it from flow.

Bottom line though: don't sweat how long it takes to get in and out of
bindings. It improves drasticly, much like getting off the lift
without falling. The fit and feel of the boot is most important,
followed by the binding.
Old August 27th 04, 08:51 PM
Chris Stringer

On the topic of Flow bindings, keep in mind that one of the coolest
features about them is that you aren't limited to any specific type of
boot. Pretty much any boot will work with Flow bindings aside from
hard racing boots. In contrast most other step in systems require a
compatible boot system. I really feel like Flow bindings are an idea
whose time has finally come, and believe me I have never been a big
fan of other step in systems when it comes to my own personal setup.
Yes Flow is getting pretty trendy right now, but I think the reason
for that is people are finally starting to see why they are so great.
Don't think less of them just because they are trendy.

We have nearly the whole lineup of 05 Flow bindings on our site,
although they will not actually be in stock for a few more weeks.
Here is a link if you want to see what they are all about:

http://flow.rdcshop.com

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston
Bend, OR 97701
Email:
Web:
http://www.rdcshop.com
Fax: 541.312.1159
Local Phone: 541.389.4667
Toll Free Phone: 1.877.BEND.SKI

**Offering FREE shipping on orders over $175 within the US**
Old August 28th 04, 07:04 PM
Arvin Chang

(og) wrote in message om...
Hi Arvin,

I like that: "self-image as the rebel freerider". That's me from now
on..!

Hehe... you got it! Now I just need a title that embodies freestyle,
freeriding, carving, and power riding... errrr.... matured progressive
all-mountain carving freestyler!

Just a couple things:

1. I click on the lift and ride away. That's huge for me: Old,
injuries, etc.

I agree that's nice. I usually strap in as I ride away from the lift
as well, but it takes longer and I still have to bend over (which I'm
sure would bother me if/when I get a bad hip).

2. I use the Clicker flats. My two buddies and I have been riding
them since 1996. Never a failure. Not one.. No straps to break. no
plastic to crack.

Yea, I think the bindings themselves are pretty bulletproof... it's
the boot interface that I've had problems with, again though I think
it was specific to a particular model (Meiji) of a particular brand
(Nitro).

3. I always carry two of every hardware bit: bindings, boards,
boots, etc.
even though I've never had a failure.

That's a great luxury, but I don't think it's particularly practical
to most people (I *just* upgraded to two sets of bindings this year).

4. Snowboaridng is low tech. I see absolutely no chance my gear
becomes obsolete. Part of the reason, also, is I like the linerless
Clicker boots. The fit is superior and they have a smaller overall
shell. I like that! Only problem with the linerless. They're cold!
No one makes a linerless boot anymore. Why? They are expensive to
build. With regards to my ten year supply. The stuff was so cheap I
paid less than most pay for the latest set
of boots for all my stuff.

Snowboarding today is definitely not low-tech in my opinion (although
they were in the mid-90's). I agree that you gear won't become
"obsolete," but it definitely can become out-of-date, in particular I
think recent boot innovations has come a long way in the past decade
(personally). I disagree with with you opinion on linerless boots, I
personally saw it as a fad for people who were all into small boot
profiles. I really like the liner boots such as Salomon, Northwave,
and Thirty-two and they do a good job of conforming to you foot
keeping your ankle down, while the outer tongue provides the stiffness
needed for good power transmission. With a linerless boot, it's much
harder to have a stiff tongued boot that also conforms to the shape of
your instep at the same time. Salomon makes a "fused" liner with their
F series of boot, which is essentially a half liner boot.

I do agree that recently Clicker stuff has become ridiculously
expensive as store are dumping their inventories. I just see that as a
particularly great choice of action.

--arvin
Old August 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message news:%yIXc.77$Gr2.12@trnddc07...
[...]

I actually intended to include "boot fit" in my "all things being
equal" qualifier. If you find a boot that fits you really well, then
just buy whatever binding system that goes with it.

Regarding hard boots - and I am a huge fan of hard boots - I encourage
everyone who has the opoortinity (access to a demo) to try them. The one
thing is, hard boots don't work so well in a fresstyle stance; to see the
light, IMHO you really need your back foot at least 35 or 40 degrees. So if
you want to ride a fressrtle stance (back foot either close to zero, or
negative) then don't do hard boots.

I believe hard boots have their place (I got a pair myself last
season), but there are too many reasons for me not to ever recommend
it to anyone starting out. I agree with Mike that I don't think
hardboot do well in freestyle stances, you can do it as Neil says...
but it's overkill and really only for someone who loved hardboots in
my opinion. I really don't want to drag this into the continual debate
about hardboots vs softboots. So just take it as my personal, single
vote - you will find that more hardbooters will be like "you can do
anything in hard boots" and most softbooters will be like "if I wanted
hardboots, I would have been a skiier" with a few people in between (I
find hardboots to be an interesting, sub-niche).

--arvin
Old August 29th 04, 03:53 PM
Martin

"Mike T" wrote in news:%yIXc.77$Gr2.12@trnddc07:

By going straps, you allow yourself the option of
trying different boots when you realize you need a better fit.

Well, if you choose FLOW, you can switch Boots very easy, too. You even
don't have to ride FLOW-Boots. I ride Nitro Boots on a FLOW-Binding for
freeriding and am very satisfied with that.

Regarding hard boots - and I am a huge fan of hard boots - I
encourage everyone who has the opoortinity (access to a demo) to try
them. The one thing is, hard boots don't work so well in a fresstyle
stance; to see the light, IMHO you really need your back foot at least
35 or 40 degrees. So if you want to ride a fressrtle stance (back
foot either close to zero, or negative) then don't do hard boots.

Definitly true, and I would NEVER do tricks with hardboots. The risk of
injury is just too high, and they are NOT made for tricks.

I'll most certainly second Neil's statement that the Intec step-in
mechanism rules. The best part is that all modern hard boots can bbe
trivially fitted with Intec heels.

ACK. Intec rules. The only thing is that you should have an extra cord for
the release mechanism with you, as sometimes they break (happend to two
friends of mine) and it is not very easy to get one in ski resorts.

Martin
Old August 29th 04, 04:00 PM
Martin

"Rural QLD CC" wrote in
:

The only issue I found with the step-ins was if I didn't bang the snow
off the base of the binding before I tried to 'click' in, it wouldn't
engage properly. Is this the reason why more people don't use them?
Being metal and mechanical, do they wear quickly, compared to the
mechanisms on straps?

As mentioned already, the FLOW bindings don't have the disadvantage of
getting filled up with snow. However, some say they are not that adjustable
as a normal freestyle binding is.

A really cool invention is the new binding from Burton, the "Fusion".
Basically, it is a normal binding with straps, but if you step out, the
frame stays attached to your boot.
-- see http://www.burton.com/burton/gear/pr...p?productID=40

Anyone already tried them?

Martin

noob questions cipher Snowboarding 5 February 27th 04 10:55 AM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM