Where were you when xxx accident happened?

Old October 8th 03, 02:06 PM
Chester Bullock

Default Where were you when xxx accident happened?

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it until
I got home...

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old October 8th 03, 03:43 PM
pigo

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message
Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it

until
I got home...

As I mentioned, I was at work at a nearby ski area when the Squaw Tram
had it's mishap.

Then I was in the pc gondola, with a little NZ chickee, when Challenger
blew up. They had it on the chalkboard when I got off. It freaked me
out. It was like I wasn't connected to my feet. I took one run and skied
to the bottom. Done for the day.

Again, when Craig Badami (VP of marketing and son of owner Nick of pcsa
and friend) was killed in a helicopter crash at the bottom of the ski
area while cleaning up gear from the WC race, I was in the gondola with
his wife. That really sucked. At the top we only heard of the accident,
the full extent came later.

pigo

Old October 8th 03, 04:37 PM
lal_truckee

Chester Bullock wrote:

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it until
I got home...

I was trying to force my chained-up 69 Toyota Corona up the Alpine
Meadows access road through the snow-drifts when the 1982 avalanche hit
the base area and parking lot, killing 7. I spent the next several
hours, before finding out about the avalanche, ****ed off that I hadn't
been able to get to the slopes and was missing the epic powder.

Old October 8th 03, 04:57 PM
Richard Henry

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Chester Bullock wrote:

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it until
I got home...

I was trying to force my chained-up 69 Toyota Corona up the Alpine
Meadows access road through the snow-drifts when the 1982 avalanche hit
the base area and parking lot, killing 7. I spent the next several
hours, before finding out about the avalanche, ****ed off that I hadn't
been able to get to the slopes and was missing the epic powder.

That week I was on a Mammoth trip, staying in June Lake to save money. It
started snowing Sunday night, then all day Monday, and we were barely able
to get back to June after skiing. By Tuesday morning the snow had stopped,
but 395 was closed. June Mt. finally opened lifts about 11, so we spent the
day there. The rest of the week was epic. We were still finding fesh
powder patches Friday morning.

Old October 8th 03, 05:09 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

lal_truckee wrote:
... when the 1982 avalanche hit ...

We were in Tahoe on our honeymoon and had just made it in as that big
storm hit. Didn't get much skiing done that week.

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old October 8th 03, 05:15 PM
pigo

Chester Bullock wrote:

Here's a morbid, on topic related thread for you.

Where were you when such and such accident occurred?

When the bullwheel came off the lift on North Peak at Keystone, I

was
out racing somewhere, I think Breck. Didn't really hear about it

until
I got home...

I was trying to force my chained-up 69 Toyota Corona up the Alpine
Meadows access road through the snow-drifts when the 1982 avalanche

hit
the base area and parking lot, killing 7. I spent the next several
hours, before finding out about the avalanche, ****ed off that I

hadn't
been able to get to the slopes and was missing the epic powder.

I think my brother's band, Headwind, was scheduled to play there that
night.

Old October 8th 03, 05:37 PM
pigo

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in message
lal_truckee wrote:
... when the 1982 avalanche hit ...

We were in Tahoe on our honeymoon and had just made it in as that big
storm hit. Didn't get much skiing done that week.

Soooo...............what did you do?

Old October 8th 03, 05:57 PM
lal_truckee

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

... when the 1982 avalanche hit ...

We were in Tahoe on our honeymoon and had just made it in as that big
storm hit. Didn't get much skiing done that week.

Spent all your time shoveling snow, no doubt?

Old October 8th 03, 06:52 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

lal_truckee wrote:

Spent all your time shoveling snow, no doubt?

We did dig the car out each day so as to not lose it. I remember the
area report was "base of 40 with 13 new". They were talking feet.

During the week, the only area that did open was Flatstar. They managed
to cat out some intermediate runs. With the cat compression of the snow,
they had 3 foot high banks on the sides of the runs. Even if you got
going fast and jumped off the groomed, those old-fashioned skinny skis
did not let you carry enough speed to do anything on the terrain you
could access. You just wallowed.

I wish I would have gotten the idea for fat skis back then - I could
afford an H2. "Honey, this honeymoon thing has to wait - I need to work
on a new ski design".

Mike...

Old October 8th 03, 07:42 PM
Richard Henry

lal_truckee wrote:

Spent all your time shoveling snow, no doubt?

We did dig the car out each day so as to not lose it. I remember the
area report was "base of 40 with 13 new". They were talking feet.

During the week, the only area that did open was Flatstar. They managed
to cat out some intermediate runs. With the cat compression of the snow,
they had 3 foot high banks on the sides of the runs. Even if you got
going fast and jumped off the groomed, those old-fashioned skinny skis
did not let you carry enough speed to do anything on the terrain you
could access. You just wallowed.

That week at Mammoth was the first time I skied in the trees. That's where
the good powder patches were, and you couldn't get going fast enough to get
hurt.