Breck control work (was Control Work at Alta, Today, 12/10/04

Old December 14th 04, 01:53 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Default Breck control work (was Control Work at Alta, Today, 12/10/04

AstroPax wrote:
Alta, today, 12/10/04.

If anyone is interested, a few shots taken during control work
activity...

Wimpy!!! You Utah guys don't know big slides. This is a big slide:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Temp/BFSlide.jpg

This is Breckenridge control work Saturday caught mid-slide as the patrol
brought down the north half of Horseshoe Bowl. The crown is up to 8-10
feet, in my guess. Also note debris at the left from when they brought down
the south side of the bowl. Peak 7 went to the dirt Sunday, too.

At least we got rid of those early season conditions and can start building
the ski base.

Sorry to hear about the Utah deaths and your injury, Astro. Bummers. (An
acquaintance was lost to a Utah slide last year).

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Old December 14th 04, 04:02 AM
snoig

Nice pic Mikey. Bet they were glad to see that one go. We got some
pretty rotten snow earlier this season. Now, maybe they can get it
open after the next couple of storms.

snoig

Old December 14th 04, 05:02 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

snoig wrote:
Nice pic Mikey. Bet they were glad to see that one go. We got some
pretty rotten snow earlier this season. Now, maybe they can get it
open after the next couple of storms.

Thanks. Did you notice the debris in the lower left of the picture? Think
about how far that is from the runout of the bowl. I believe it was from
the slide to the south of this big one.

I think they had fun that day. I blew up the picture to 100% and saw the
patrol guys were not visible - they must have been well back on the ridge
(luckily).

Mike...

Old December 14th 04, 09:09 PM
klaus

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:
AstroPax wrote:
Alta, today, 12/10/04.

If anyone is interested, a few shots taken during control work
activity...

Wimpy!!! You Utah guys don't know big slides. This is a big slide:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Temp/BFSlide.jpg

This is Breckenridge control work Saturday caught mid-slide as the patrol
brought down the north half of Horseshoe Bowl. The crown is up to 8-10
feet, in my guess. Also note debris at the left from when they brought down
the south side of the bowl. Peak 7 went to the dirt Sunday, too.

How the hell do you get an 8-10 foot crown with a 41 inch base? You
get some wind, eh? S'Ok.. we'll take smaller slides, and be wimps. On
the other hand, total snowfall of 98 inches? Dude.. We had that in
October from our first storm. We're up to almost 250". You should come
back this direction.

Then again, you want to see a big slide, I'll scan a series of slides I
took in basecamp on the Kahiltna that show an avalanche come down at
least 3000 feet leaving a powder cloud 150 to 200 feet high. We
watched that come down and just put away our transceivers. No use for
those in that kind of slide. It just inconveniences your
partners. Sounded like a jet taking off.

At least we got rid of those early season conditions and can start building
the ski base.

I'd say... 98"??? You never even got started.

Sorry to hear about the Utah deaths and your injury, Astro. Bummers. (An
acquaintance was lost to a Utah slide last year).

I think our annual record for deaths is 5/yr. We're already at 4 for
the year, and it ain't gettin' better any time soon. Only one skier
though, and he had all necessary gear, just bad juju.

Good weather to stay home and pay the mortgage.

-klaus

Old December 15th 04, 12:11 AM
uglymoney

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:53:07 -0600, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
wrote:

AstroPax wrote:
Alta, today, 12/10/04.

If anyone is interested, a few shots taken during control work
activity...

Wimpy!!! You Utah guys don't know big slides. This is a big slide:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Temp/BFSlide.jpg

This is Breckenridge control work Saturday caught mid-slide as the patrol
brought down the north half of Horseshoe Bowl. The crown is up to 8-10
feet, in my guess. Also note debris at the left from when they brought down
the south side of the bowl. Peak 7 went to the dirt Sunday, too.

At least we got rid of those early season conditions and can start building
the ski base.

Sorry to hear about the Utah deaths and your injury, Astro. Bummers. (An
acquaintance was lost to a Utah slide last year).

Mike...

Thanks for the pic Mike! Very cool! We thought about skiing Breck
Sat. but couldn't stop ourselves from going to Vail with all the
terrain opening up.

At A-Basin on Sunday we rode the lift a few times with a fellow who
had laid tracks Saturday here on A. Pretty sketchy, and pretty scary
from what I could see. The ridge at A-Basin is generally the same
aspect and steepness, and it had slid in several places due to control
work (B).

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/sketchy.jpg

nate

Old December 15th 04, 04:34 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

klaus wrote:
... How the hell do you get an 8-10 foot crown with a 41 inch base? You
get some wind, eh? ...

I prefer to think we get Copper's powder in addition to ours. That crown
will be half covered by this weekend, even with no new snow. This ain't no
wimpy Utah fluff.

... You should come back this direction.

Yah yah yah. Bite me.

Then again, you want to see a big slide, I'll scan a series of slides I
took in basecamp on the Kahiltna that show an avalanche come down at
least 3000 feet leaving a powder cloud 150 to 200 feet high. We
watched that come down and just put away our transceivers. No use for
those in that kind of slide. It just inconveniences your
partners. Sounded like a jet taking off. ...

Yikes. Let me put my brown drawers on first.

Mike...