warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Old December 7th 04, 09:24 PM
lal_truckee

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Hey LAL
I'm thinking of driving up from South Lake either Friday or Sunday to
Alpine Meadows unless, of course, you think another area might be better.

If there is a slim chance that we might hook up, we can email off
group and set something up.

I'm takng care of busines in San Francisco currently - don't know if
I'll be finished by Friday or even Sunday. But it's a good idea - I'll
try and get back to you.

Forgot to answer your other question.

- Alpine has a foot and a half of new on about 5 feet of old base.
Ought to be decent enough...

BTW, it's not a short drive, particularly if there's weather (and the
subsequent spun out tourists all over the roads) so leave yourself
plenty of time.

Squaw and Sugar Bowl (and Kirkwood down your way) all ought to be decent
enough grin

Old December 7th 04, 09:44 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:59:56 -0600, MattB
wrote:

uglymoney wrote:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:07:42 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

snip

A lot of people with cold hands say they have Raynaud's disease. A
physician who claimed to have it and who I waterskied with a bit last
summer (and in the cold, cold spring weather) told me that they have a
drug that works to relieve the blood restriction caused by this
disorder. Oddly, this physician (a shapely female of around 30 years)
had a thing for losing layers while skiing. She loves to ski naked.
Go figure.

I don't believe it. Got any photographic proof?

Nothing that would absolutely convince you, but I do have a link that
has her picture, and her credentials. Enough circumstancial evidence
to win most court cases, but my word is like gold. I'd send it to you
offline if I thought someone was at somedudeus@yahoo.

On cold days I use some gloves from granite gear, reasonable, and warm
as hell. I've never had cold hands with these gloves.
http://www.granitegear.com/products/...ts/index.shtml
Other posters have their fav's.

I have some Granite Gear gloves (not sure what model - these ones:
http://mattb.net/images/Monarch%2004...20on%20top.jpg) that
I've been wearing for a few years and they seem to be great in terms of
keeping me warm and dry. My hands usually don't sweat much, but they do
get cold. I usually pull my fingers out and make fists to warm them up
on the lift if they do and that enough on all but the coldest days.

I've had mine for several years as well, and they are like new. A
really tough mitt, or in you case glove.

So how's things up at the Butte? That snow settling in nicely?

I'll be in Summit County this weekend for some turns on Saturday and
Sunday. Thats as much travel as I can take for a weekend out of Iowa
My friend skied somewhere in the summit yesterday and he reports thin
cover/skied off. Might do the Beav on Saturday or something, Loveland
on Sunday. Not sure. Following my friend around.

Mikey you going to be on the hill or around Breck? I think the condo
that we are borrowing might be in Breck. Again, not sure. I hate
details.

nate

Old December 7th 04, 09:56 PM
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote:

[snip]
I'm a firm advocate of keeping your body core warm and you'll have warm
hands.

People vary a lot in how they thermoregulate, and how well they
thermoregulate in heat vs. cold, but there are some basic mechanisms
that are part of human physiology. When the body is exposed to cold,
the brain tries to play a balancing act between preserving the
extremities, by sending warm blood to them, and preserving the core
temperature, by reducing the flow of blood to the extremities if the
blood sent there keeps coming back cold. In really extreme conditions,
the brain goes into survival mode and preserves the core temperature to
keep itself functioning. I believe the thinking is that Reynaud's is a
sort of exceptionally paranoid form of this reaction, whereby the brain
goes into this sort of extreme survival mode at a level of chill that is
far from truly threatening to its survival.

So I guess reason says there's no hard and fast rule, whether the secret
to warmth is to concentrate on warming the extremities, or on warming
the core. Either is going to help: keeping the extremities warm keeps
the brain feeling all reassured and continuing to share its nice warm
blood, and keeping the core warm does the same. A lot probably depends
on your individual construction, whether you've got a short and stocky
heat-preserving physique, or a lanky heat-radiating physique with long
hands and feet and limbs. If your hands and feet are natural radiators,
you'd probably put some effort into them.

I spend a lot of time chasing little kids around on skis, and when I'm
having a really hot and sweaty day, I find it helpful to ditch the hat
and gloves altogether. When it's cold and I'm not chasing kids, I find
the real key for me is to be comfortably warm before I go out. If I'm
feeling the least bit chilled when I go outside, I'm not likely to warm
up on the hill.

I have a pair of mid-weight BD skiing specific gloves, a pair of
leather racing gloves and a pair of Extra Large thinsulate, leather and
fabric, workman's gloves from the local hardware worn with a pair of
fleece liners. The latter are the warmest and have the advantage of
being able to keep the liners on when you remove the "shells". The
latter are also NOT waterproof as the leather are pretty good and the
BD's are goretex. Weather determines the gloves I wear.

VtSkier

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 7th 04, 09:58 PM
Mary Malmros

On 2004-12-07, lal_truckee penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Anyway, the salesguy made several claims that I'd like to have
confirmed/denied/discussed:

1) He claimed that leather gloves are warmer than other materials due
to being less porous than fabrics, which are woven.

Wrong

Wrong as in, leather isn't the warmest, or wrong as in, his explanation
doesn't make sense? If the former, what *is* the warmest?

Leather IS porous, and breaths, so you have to wax it to waterproof it,
regularly - a forgotten art - noone maintains gear anymore - they
replace it.

I use Sno-Seal on my Sorels, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to use
it on my gloves as well. Whadja think?

Old December 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Mary Malmros

MattB wrote:

AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:22:41 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Um, my sports bras aren't cotton. They're a synth material, although
the
label's been washed too many times to read clearly.

Just out of curiosity, theoretically, if you could actually read those
un-readable and faded labels, what would the size be?

-Astro

For some reason the image of that old Lange "Keep your tips up!" poster
just popped into my mind. Just thought I'd share that image if you
remember it.

I bet you had a pair of Hansen boots, too.
(so did I)

Old December 7th 04, 10:04 PM
lal_truckee

Mary Malmros wrote:

On 2004-12-07, lal_truckee penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Anyway, the salesguy made several claims that I'd like to have
confirmed/denied/discussed:

1) He claimed that leather gloves are warmer than other materials due
to being less porous than fabrics, which are woven.

Wrong

Wrong as in, leather isn't the warmest, or wrong as in, his explanation
doesn't make sense? If the former, what *is* the warmest?

Leather IS porous, and breaths, so you have to wax it to waterproof
it, regularly - a forgotten art - noone maintains gear anymore - they
replace it.

I use Sno-Seal on my Sorels, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to use
it on my gloves as well. Whadja think?

I do. On both. Do it over the heater while wearing the gloves.

Dam Sorels are ad hoc glued together these days - I need a new pair.
They make me look like the world's oldest liftie.

Old December 7th 04, 10:17 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Hey LAL
I'm thinking of driving up from South Lake either Friday or Sunday to
Alpine Meadows unless, of course, you think another area might be better.

If there is a slim chance that we might hook up, we can email off
group and set something up.

I'm takng care of busines in San Francisco currently - don't know if
I'll be finished by Friday or even Sunday. But it's a good idea - I'll
try and get back to you.

Great,
Do you have my *real* email? It's at another place.
I'm leaving town (and my computer) by 5:00PM (eastern) tomorrow evening.
I won't have NG access but will have email at some point Thursday and
Friday. I'll post elsewhere so you can pick up my email addy easily.
RW

Old December 7th 04, 10:18 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:56:52 -0600, Mary Malmros
wrote:

I believe the thinking is that Reynaud's is a
sort of exceptionally paranoid form of this reaction, whereby the brain
goes into this sort of extreme survival mode at a level of chill that is
far from truly threatening to its survival.

Yes.

In my case, my hands can be absolutely freezing at the same time that
my body is sweating and trying to cool itself off.

Lets say I am in my house, perfectly warm, put on an appropriate coat,
go outside, and start chucking firewood barehanded or with light
gloves. Pow, my hands will start to freeze, or get very, very cold,
numb very fast, even while my body is revving up and creating heat due
to the work.

It is important to note, that in the above example, I was never cold
internally, never chilled, or underdressed. The idea of keeping my
core warm to keep my hands warm fails.

If, I manage to stay really warm like this for a while, my hands will
warm up eventually matching my internal body temp, but... it can take
several minutes for this to happen.

So, keeping my core warm just doesn't cut it. I'm better off to wear
fewer layers, a lighter coat, with highly breathable fabric, and huge
gloves. Trying to superheat my core with excessive clothing just
results in sweating and worse hand freezing before a new warm up cycle
can begin.

Nice warm mitts. Problem solved. Hands stay warm even while I rest
comfortably. I once drank beer several beers while outside at -20 F
while camping with a friend with my Granite Gear mitts. Hands stayed
warm.

nate

Old December 7th 04, 10:21 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

I'm planning at least a day at Kirkwood and part of a day at Heavenly,
which will be the day we sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast and go
skiing with the whole family.

BTW, I did a mapquest thing for both Kirkwood and Alpine. The results
were that the mileage was about the same. When I was there last I took
the bus to K one day and the bus to Squaw the next. My recollection was
that I only saw about half the movie going to K but had extra time going
to Squaw.

I *am* looking forward to a certain wall at K.

What is Sugar Bowl like as an area?

RW