Snow tires?

Old November 28th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Default Snow tires?

On 28/11/2010 16:59, VtSkier wrote:
On 11/28/2010 10:40 AM, pigo wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:46 am, wrote:

Finally, I've had ABS on all my cars for at least 20 years and have only
engaged it a handful of times, so I guess I am doing something right

The problem I have with ABS is that it doesn't allow me to drive like
I learned. And it's hard to unlearn. When I first got it I was still
doing the "brake pump" thing. I heard that the procedure with ABS is
to stomp the peddle and the brakes do the pumping. Is there another
method?

No, Britt is probably driving the way
you and I drive. Very light foot on the
brake, pumping if skid is noticed, etc.

I do try to avoid heavy braking, but don't need cadence braking any
more, mainly because I try to anticipate situations and avoid the need
completely. If someone does something utterly stupid and I need to
emergency brake I hit it hard and let the ABS do the work.

That hasn't happened much recently, about once in the last 5 years since
I retired and before that once every other year I'd guess. When I was
working and commuting 500 miles per week, 300 of which were round the
M25 (London ring road and one of the busiest in the UK) at rush hour
times, I used to try and drive the whole way without touching the brakes
at all except for turn offs. Very good discipline, and good for fuel
consumption too.
Old November 28th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:55 am, VtSkier wrote:

You might also note that the signs they post
in the Sierra's when a storm is expected is that
you must have chains OR 4 wheel drive. It does
not specify snow tires.

They can't put all those words on the sign. The longer notice given
on the Cal Trans website, phone and radio reports always says "four-
wheel drive with snow tires on all four wheels". When I had my Jeep,
the law and the CHP gatekeepers always required that we carry chains
anyway. A friend got a ticket for not having them once on his 4WD
pickup-camper, and they made him turn around and go down as well.

I can remember some fellow instructors being late and annoyed when the
Waspington State Patrol turned them around because they didn't have chains to
put on their 4WD. If the officer tells you to chain up your 4WD, that's the law.

Old November 28th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

BrritSki wrote:
On 28/11/2010 06:03, Walt wrote:
On 11/27/2010 9:58 PM, VtSkier wrote:

Another trick I used to use in a FWD car was to use the
hand brake to slow the vehicle in slippery going....

Wow, what a great thread, very interesting.

I don't do much driving on snow, but have a Subaru Outback and when I
do meet poor conditions it's great. When I bought it (used) it had new
all-season tyres on and I was surprised how well they lasted.

Finally, I've had ABS on all my cars for at least 20 years and have
only engaged it a handful of times, so I guess I am doing something
right

When I've driven cars with it, I've used it. I consider it standard practive to
periodically tap the brakes firmly enough to determine the traction.
Unfortunately, ABS limits the information I can get from that, but at least it
gives me a clue.

Old November 28th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:54:41 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

On Nov 27, 10:42*am, Dick G wrote:
New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??

I drive a truck so I don't know if they're appropriate for a vehicle
like yours. But for years I've bought Cooper Tires. I rotate them
every other oil change and get 50K plus. I had them on the pigovan and
two trucks since. They make a pretty wide range from 4 season to HD
mud and snow.

When my tires wear out I just buy a new van. A van is the only
vehicle a skier should consider because you can keep your skis inside,
clean and dry while driving to the ski resort.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old November 28th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:57:53 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Brain Fried Bob Thompson endorses Cooper Tires and recommends them to
Dick Gozinya on a public forum.
If I worked for Cooper, I'd be seriously embarassed.

You don't have a job, dumbass. If you worked for anybody, THEY would
be seriously embarrassed.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012 dumbass. Repeal the nightmares.

Old November 28th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 01:31:56 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I didn't know you could disengage ABS.

I got a friend who doesn't like ABS and he tells me he takes out the
fuse so it won't come on.

Old November 28th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Nov 28, 10:03*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:55 am, VtSkier wrote:

You might also note that the signs they post
in the Sierra's when a storm is expected is that
you must have chains OR 4 wheel drive. It does
not specify snow tires.

They can't put all those words on the sign. *The longer notice given
on the Cal Trans website, phone and radio reports always says "four-
wheel drive with snow tires on all four wheels". *When I had my Jeep,
the law and the CHP gatekeepers always required that we carry chains
anyway. *A friend got a ticket for not having them once on his 4WD
pickup-camper, and they made him turn around and go down as well.

I can remember some fellow instructors being late and annoyed when the
Waspington State Patrol turned them around because they didn't have chains to
put on their 4WD. If the officer tells you to chain up your 4WD, that's the law.

If they ever told I needed chains on a 4WD, I wouldn't want to drive
on that road.
Old November 28th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/28/2010 10:59 AM, gr wrote:

A word on snow tires; one type to consider is the real snow tire, made
with a special all season rubber compound so that the tire can be used
year round. Nokian WRG2. I have a set which seem to work ok.

The Nokian WR is *exactly* what I was talking about when I cautioned
against being talked into "all season" tires that are "almost as good"
as real snowtires.

I was suckered into buying a set of WRs. Simply put: as a snowtire,
they suck. They suck less than probably every other all season tire,
but they still suck as a snowtire. In the one season I used them I
wound up getting stuck about 5 times in places that I never got stuck
before or since with the Hakkepallitas or the Blizzaks, including my
driveway.

Miserable things. Buy real snowtires.

//Walt

PS - your thread about ski vs snowboard speed was one of the more
successful trolls in recent memory. Congratulations.

Old November 28th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Nov 28, 2:50*pm, Richard Henry wrote:

If they ever told I needed chains on a 4WD, I wouldn't want to drive
on that road.

It's not all that uncommon for LCC to be chains OR 4x4. Sometimes
chains AND 4x4.

changing V2 Aero 150 tires [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 August 20th 06 05:12 PM
If I got Hakki tires, would I be cool? Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 1 March 1st 05 08:24 AM
New V2 Aero Tires Jon Nordic Skiing 0 December 19th 03 02:00 PM
snow tires, sorry OT 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 19 November 26th 03 01:48 PM
Can you put SR 125 tires onto Aero R-skis that came with 150 tires? Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 2 August 12th 03 10:59 PM