are decnt conditions in late april too much to hope for?

Old March 9th 05, 02:09 PM

Default are decnt conditions in late april too much to hope for?

planning 2 more runs this winter....one march 26th, the other will be
in april....wondering if it is realistic to expect to be able to find
decnt conditions at killington or stower towards the end of april.....

Chuck

Old March 9th 05, 02:34 PM
Dave Stallard

VtSkier wrote:

As for Stowe, the northern half of VT go more snow than the
south this year. If the temps hold, you will be OK. Same
advice as for Killington late.

Yabut will Stowe even be open in late April?

Dave
Old March 9th 05, 02:44 PM
Jeff

VtSkier wrote:
Killington will be great through the end of March and probably
through the first weekend of April when the Bear Mountain
Mogul Challenge occurs (a great party).

As for Stowe, the northern half of VT go more snow than the
south this year. If the temps hold, you will be OK. Same
advice as for Killington late.

Just curious: How does Killington compare to Stowe? I was impressed
with Stowe's vertical - Nosedive seemed to go on forever - and it
wasn't too crowded. The snow at Stowe may have been the fastest I was
ever on. A feature that made my visit enjoyable was the mogul layout.
Every moguled trail I took was only partially moguled, i.e., a crappy
moguler like myself could bail out if necessary. Next year I'd like to
do Stowe and either Mad River or Sugarbush (2650 ft vert).

Jeff

Old March 9th 05, 02:58 PM
Mary Malmros

Jeff wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

Killington will be great through the end of March and probably
through the first weekend of April when the Bear Mountain
Mogul Challenge occurs (a great party).

As for Stowe, the northern half of VT go more snow than the
south this year. If the temps hold, you will be OK. Same
advice as for Killington late.

Just curious: How does Killington compare to Stowe? I was impressed
with Stowe's vertical - Nosedive seemed to go on forever - and it
wasn't too crowded. The snow at Stowe may have been the fastest I was
ever on. A feature that made my visit enjoyable was the mogul layout.
Every moguled trail I took was only partially moguled, i.e., a crappy
moguler like myself could bail out if necessary. Next year I'd like to
do Stowe and either Mad River or Sugarbush (2650 ft vert).

Sounds like you've already made your comparison. For myself, I'd take
Stowe over Killington in a heartbeat, no contest, and not just because
of the mountain.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old March 9th 05, 03:03 PM
VtSkier

Dave Stallard wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

As for Stowe, the northern half of VT go more snow than the
south this year. If the temps hold, you will be OK. Same
advice as for Killington late.

Yabut will Stowe even be open in late April?

Dave

Maybe not, call as I suggested.
Old March 9th 05, 03:11 PM
uglymoney

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:57:47 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks that ski areas in the summer are, well,
kinda neat? I bet that makes me the ski equivalent of a train geek or
something.

I love visiting ski area in the summer. I think you can really feel
he soul of an area when you see the bare lifts, the rock, the dirt,
the people who hang around when its hot.

A couple years ago I trammed up and hiked all over JH. It was a very
fascinating experience. Mountains are like people. They have moods
and dimensions that can only be experienced and understood if you see
them in all sorts of different situations. I've skied JH more than
any other mountain (with the exception of the hills around here) and
so hiking it was really an eye opener.

I visited Taos, Telluride, Crested Butte, Monarch, all before I ever
skied them. I've been to Big Mountain in the summer, and still have
never skied it, and the same can be said for most all of the interior
mountains western Canada.

Its great fun, and I agree, a neat thing to do.

nate
Old March 9th 05, 03:12 PM
VtSkier

Jeff wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Killington will be great through the end of March and probably
through the first weekend of April when the Bear Mountain
Mogul Challenge occurs (a great party).

As for Stowe, the northern half of VT go more snow than the
south this year. If the temps hold, you will be OK. Same
advice as for Killington late.

Just curious: How does Killington compare to Stowe? I was impressed
with Stowe's vertical - Nosedive seemed to go on forever - and it
wasn't too crowded. The snow at Stowe may have been the fastest I was
ever on. A feature that made my visit enjoyable was the mogul layout.
Every moguled trail I took was only partially moguled, i.e., a crappy
moguler like myself could bail out if necessary. Next year I'd like to
do Stowe and either Mad River or Sugarbush (2650 ft vert).

Jeff

I've only skied Stowe once in my whole life, and I've lived
here for 60 years.

Lots of choice at Killington, can be crowded, but if you are
there on a weekend day you can ski the South Ridge Triangular
Triple and get some good runs in. Killington does the partial
groom thing on some trails, Needles Eye comes to mind.

If you go to Mad River, get better at moguls, or at least
perfect a way to survive a mogul field (that's what I do,
since I can't ski it like a competitive bump skier). Remember
little to no grooming at MRG.

I'd look askance at vertical claims. Killington has a real
skiable 3000 feet of vertical, and the run, Great Eastern,
has some interesting parts, but you do get a lot of flat
stuff if you ski top to bottom. Generally everybody skis the
top 2000 feet for the best skiing. Check the other areas and
consult the maps to see if 2650 vert.ft. is real or from the
parking lot to the top.

Mt Mansfield at Stowe is the highest mountain in VT, but the
lift stops a couple of hundred feet short of the top while
Killington's K-1 goes much closer to K's 4200' summit for
higher lift served skiing and you can even go higher and walk
up the stairs to Catwalk trail off the peak.

Snow is. This year lots of the snow has been machine made
which compresses into ice sooner than nature's variety.

VtSkier
Old March 9th 05, 04:54 PM
Jeff

Mary Malmros wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Sounds like you've already made your comparison. For myself, I'd

take
Stowe over Killington in a heartbeat, no contest, and not just

because
of the mountain.

Of the two, I've only been to Stowe. I was hoping to hear from those
who've been to both so that I could get a feel for Killington. My
impression is Killington draws far larger crowds...

Jeff