Breaking in new boots

Old December 16th 04, 02:05 AM
Lisa Horton

Default Breaking in new boots

In the current context of boots

I've read that with new boots, it's good to wear them around the house
for a few hours to help the liners start to mold to your foot. Does it
make any difference if you actually *move* during this time? Like, is
sitting and watching TV less effective than clomping around and scaring
the pets?

Lisa

Old December 16th 04, 02:55 AM
VtSkier

Lisa Horton wrote:
In the current context of boots

I've read that with new boots, it's good to wear them around the house
for a few hours to help the liners start to mold to your foot. Does it
make any difference if you actually *move* during this time? Like, is
sitting and watching TV less effective than clomping around and scaring
the pets?

Maybe, but I've never done it. I might put them on for a few minutes
just to see where they hurt, but in my experience, putting boots on for
a while and NOT moving makes my feet numb. Try it though if you wish.
Make sure your boots are warm and that you have the same socks that you
were fitted with.

Story:
My daughter bought and was fitted to new boots which Daddy (me) got for
her. She was fitted with thin liner socks which is common since the
liners will pack out and make room for slightly thicker sox. She then
proceeded to wear them skiing the next day with thick wool sox. I never
noticed what she had on until she complained and had to quit for the
day. She still has the boots and wears them with the "right" sox.

VtSkier

Old December 16th 04, 07:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-16, Lisa Horton penned:
In the current context of boots

I've read that with new boots, it's good to wear them around the house for a
few hours to help the liners start to mold to your foot. Does it make any
difference if you actually *move* during this time? Like, is sitting and
watching TV less effective than clomping around and scaring the pets?

I'm curious about wearing boots in the house, too, but from a different angle
(literally!). Since your stance is different while skiing than it is while
standing/walking around the house, and since your feet change their shape
pretty dramatically depending on your stance, I'm wondering if the "wear boots
around the house" advice is any good at all. Seems like they'd pack your
boots into the wrong shape.

My new boots have a forward enough lean that walking in them is a pretty big
effort. I've reverted to the kind of rolling swagger (heel-toe, heel-toe,
heel-toe) that would absolutely destroy the hardwood floor in our front hall,
not to mention scaring the crap out of our cat! It's a really big adjustment
for me; my old boots had the walk/ski adjuster knob and I used it whenever I
could.

--
monique
Longmont, CO