LA ski areas, no car!

Old January 9th 04, 08:18 PM
James P

Default LA ski areas, no car!

Any ski resort areas around LA where it's possible to get around with
ski buses and the occasional taxi?

I'm a 33yo intermediate skier traveling by myself and looking for an
area where I could go skiing for a week and not get too bored of
either the skiing or the after-ski life.

James
Old January 9th 04, 08:43 PM
Jack Wan

Many ski clubs have buses go to Mammoth on the weekends, some times for a
week. Search Yahoo or others should be fruitful.

Old January 9th 04, 10:21 PM
The Real Bev

James P wrote:

Any ski resort areas around LA where it's possible to get around with
ski buses and the occasional taxi?

No. Seriously, no. If you want to spend a week skiing in LA (I assume
you mean Los Angeles, but the skiing is only marginally better here than
skiing in Louisiana) stay at Big Bear and walk or hitch to the ski
area. Yes, one. Two parts with a shuttle between, but one area.

I'm a 33yo intermediate skier traveling by myself and looking for an
area where I could go skiing for a week and not get too bored of
either the skiing or the after-ski life.

If you're a real intermediate and not just being modest, I guess you
could get a week of less-than-fully-boring skiing at Big Bear. Not a
clue about the night life, but it probably ain't no good life.

Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
supposed to be a SUPER area.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 9th 04, 10:55 PM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
supposed to be a SUPER area.

That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
$15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.

Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Old January 10th 04, 12:29 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Go to Mammoth and stay at the Motel 6. Never been there, but it's
supposed to be a SUPER area.

That Motel 6 was a pricey $56 a room several years ago. Course you can
get 3 friends in there with you and knock it down near the appropriate
$15 per person per night. There is a shuttle from the 6 to the lifts.

Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus.

Yeah, there's a bus. It takes something like 12 hours, though. I
checked a couple of years ago, so it might be different now. Probably
cheaper to rent a car for one day, ski, and then rent a car for another
day to return. Is this possible?

Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Not many. Probably none, actually. Better to go to the freeway on-ramp
in San Fernando with a big sign: WILL PAY FOR GAS TO MAMMOTH!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 10th 04, 06:15 PM
James P

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!

How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?
Old January 10th 04, 06:52 PM
Go Fig

In article , James P
wrote:

lal_truckee wrote in message
Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!

There are charter bus services that make the run to Mammoth, Mark IV
being one of them.

You could also fly to Reno and take the Greyhound down to Mammoth,
there are few detours on that portion, unlike coming from Los Angeles,
which stops and goes well out of its way.

How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?

Its more and more a young crowd, especially in the 2nd season.

Whisky Creek, the 40 year establishment has rotating bands that come
through, some are quite good. This should be a first consideration.

For after ski its: Yodler Restaurant & Bar at the base lodge.

Ocean Seafood also has late night bar scene, but a young crowd of
shredder's.

jay
Sat Jan 10, 2004

Old January 11th 04, 02:59 AM
lal_truckee

James P wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in message ...

Don't know how you get to Mammoth on the cheap from LA, tho. Might be a
bus. Hitchhike? I've hitched carrying skis, boots, and poles - takes a
special kind of person to pick you up. I couldn't guess how many such
special people pass a given corner in downtown LA per hour - any guess, Bev?

Ya, not really interested in hitching. I figure my choices are either
to rent a car for a week and have it sit in the driveway while I'm at
Mammoth, or rent a car one way to get there and then another car one
way to get back to LA. Might end up costing the same either way!

How's the after-ski and nightlife up there?

If you're concerned about apres-ski and nightlife, find a video game
parlor with a ski game, play it once, and stay in LA. You go to Mammoth
and actually tackle the mountain, you'll have no energy left for
screwing around in the evening - you'll need your beauty rest. Mammoth
is a real mountain.
Old January 11th 04, 03:42 AM
pigo

James P wrote:
[...]

Though I don't think I have the stamina to do it anymore I've skied many a
"real mountain", including Mammoth and still had the energy to party all
night. Don't tell me you've forgotten what it's like to be young?

You can be dead tired at the end of the day. But a few beers and some new
cutie pie rubbing your leg can give you a second wind real quick!

pigo

Old January 11th 04, 03:52 AM
lal_truckee

James P wrote:

[...]

Not if you intend to push the mountain again the next day.