ski equipment prices

Old October 22nd 03, 06:29 PM

Default ski equipment prices

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

Old October 22nd 03, 11:09 PM
Dave

"G" wrote:

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

Everything is very expensive at any resort.

Full retail.
Old October 22nd 03, 11:19 PM
Alex Heney

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:29:52 +0100, "G"
wrote:

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's

I looked at ski boots when I was there last year, and prices were
virtually identical to places like Snow & Rock.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
"No good deed goes unpunished" - Clare Booth Luce

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 24th 03, 09:09 AM
Steve

G wrote:

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

I've not found the prices in Canada to be particularly cheaper than the
UK in recent years. The sticker price might be less, but then you get
stung by the sales tax when you get to paying for the stuff... at least
in the UK the tax is included in the price you see. You should bear this
in mind if you do any comparison shopping.

Snow+Rock (in the UK) used to offer a price match guarantee against any
ski resort shop, I think they still do it so you could buy from them
before you go and if it's cheaper in Banff they'll refund the difference.

Old October 24th 03, 12:57 PM
Brent Harsh

Steve wrote:
G wrote:

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering
how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

For jackets and gear, check out the Mountain Equipment Co-op; I've
enjoyed shopping the http://www.mec.ca. Calgary has a location, but
they are not a resort type of place that is present on the slopes so
make a stop before you head to Banff. Compared to $US they are a pretty
good deal on most items. I don't think they have much Alpine skiing
stuff, more into backcountry & alpine-touring and the like. Over the
past 10 years or so, I've gotten all my jackets, shells, hats, gloves,
etc from there. One of their MEC-branded shells is still going strong,
and they replaced its zipper for free after 8 years of use - no need to
do that, I would have paid, but great customer service experience with
that in the Vancouver store - they just sent me down the street to their
tailor who did their warranty work.

My wife and I have both bought boots from Abominable Sports in downtown
Banff. The prices on the boot we bought were pretty good, especially
comparing to the US$; we got our GST tax back, and their fitters took a
LOT of time with both of us. Thus far, I've been happy with their
service. We spent some time in two of the other ski shops in town and
their fitters were not taking as much time.

I've not found the prices in Canada to be particularly cheaper than the
UK in recent years. The sticker price might be less, but then you get
stung by the sales tax when you get to paying for the stuff... at least
in the UK the tax is included in the price you see. You should bear this
in mind if you do any comparison shopping.

Keep in mind that you can file to get the GST back (about half the tax,
I guess) on any purchase over $100 Canadian. Instant refund at the
major airports now, I think - just leave some time before boarding to
get in line.

Snow+Rock (in the UK) used to offer a price match guarantee against any
ski resort shop, I think they still do it so you could buy from them
before you go and if it's cheaper in Banff they'll refund the difference.

Have fun in Banff...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.

Old October 24th 03, 06:32 PM
stuart

"G" wrote in message
I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

I would NEVER buy anything other than a cup of coffee in Banff. Try Calgary,
or better yet, Edmonton. Sport Check usually has some really high end demo
skis on for 1/2 price with bindings quite often. They are in Calgary and
Edmonton. Fritz's Ski Haus in Edmonton often has really good deals on year
old new stock.

Banff is always a ripoff.

Old October 24th 03, 11:21 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:09:43 +0100, Steve
wrote:

G wrote:

I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

I've not found the prices in Canada to be particularly cheaper than the
UK in recent years. The sticker price might be less, but then you get
stung by the sales tax when you get to paying for the stuff... at least
in the UK the tax is included in the price you see. You should bear this
in mind if you do any comparison shopping.

Snow+Rock (in the UK) used to offer a price match guarantee against any
ski resort shop, I think they still do it so you could buy from them
before you go and if it's cheaper in Banff they'll refund the difference.

It only applies to Europe. (And I think always did).

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Predestination was doomed from the start.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 24th 03, 11:30 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:32:41 GMT, "stuart"
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
I am skiing in Banff over the Christmas and New year and was wondering how
prices are compared to here in the UK as I want to buy
a) some new ski's
b) new ski jacket (Spyder)
Anyone help??????

I would NEVER buy anything other than a cup of coffee in Banff. Try Calgary,
or better yet, Edmonton.

Presumably, then you live in the area, and have your own transport?

For anyone going from the UK, doing as you suggest would cost a days
skiing, plus the cost of transport to Calgary or Edmonton. (Most
people travelling to ski in Canada from UK will be on a package trip,
with transfers from airport to hotel included, but no other "side"
trips included.

Most resorts are rip-offs compared to shops in the cities a few miles
away. But they are banking on the fact that most people buying
equipment while on a ski trip are doing so at least partly because of
proxi,mity to the slopes. They can try them out, and go back for
adjustments if necessary, without losing much ski time.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom

Old October 24th 03, 11:49 PM
stuart

wrote:

"G" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, good point, but there are literally hundreds of ways to get from the
airport in Calgary to Banff. Unlike Europe, we are a culture of
transportation junkies. Got cars for rent, gotta be dozens of buses to
Banff. If I were travelling from the UK, I would rent a car at Calgary, then
drive the 90 minutes to Banff, or better yet, stay in Canmore for 50 bucks a
night. Then you can ski Nakiska, Sunshine, Lake Louise, or if the roads are
good, spend the three hours and drive up the famous Icefields Parkway to
Jasper and ski a day or so at Marmot.
I would never buy a package which was all inclusive, and extremely
restrictive. You can do cheaper, by getting the best airfare, then arranging
your own accomodation and transportation. Remember, Banff, Jasper, Golden
and Canmore are summer resorts, and NEVER get much above 20% occupancy
during winter (The Euros don't know this so they get the "on hill"
accomodations $$$$$$)