Knauss out of Worlds as backup sample tests positive

Old January 16th 05, 01:37 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:

Stephen B. wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Ski racers are phenominal atheletes. No other sport requires such
sustained physical effort while conditions are violently atttempting to
knock you down. Every other sport that comes near is performed on a
prepared artificial course; compare a bicyclist on a hill climb with
someone assigned to atempt to kick him over every 2 seconds - whoops -
doesn't happen.

I am sure that they are phenominal athleates but ..

I have always heard of water polo players having to be in the best shape.

Cardio-vascular conditioning is only part of any sport. While it's a
major part of road cycling and marathoning (and as you mention water
polo players) it's of no importance whatsoever in other recognized
sports such as baseball and baseball's equivalent, tiddlywinks.

Not...quite...true. Baseball -- like ski racing -- is anaerobic rather
than aerobic, true, but you can't develop anaerobic fitness without an
aerobic fitness base.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 16th 05, 06:17 AM
The Real Bev

uglymoney wrote:

wrote:

"Stephen B." wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote:

Ski racers are phenominal atheletes. No other sport requires such
sustained physical effort while conditions are violently atttempting to
knock you down. Every other sport that comes near is performed on a
prepared artificial course; compare a bicyclist on a hill climb with
someone assigned to atempt to kick him over every 2 seconds - whoops -
doesn't happen.

I am sure that they are phenominal athleates but ..

I have always heard of water polo players having to be in the best shape.
Imagen swiming 30 yards then wrestle for 30 seconds and repeat over four
seven minute quarters covering roughly a mile and a half. Then hope you
don't have 2 more games that day.

I've heard that motocross is the most physically demanding. From my
dirt riding days I would have to agree, although I've never tried water
polo. Having to shove double your body weight around with split-second
accuracy makes me tired just saying it. Jim? Bruno? Anybody?

I've a friend that used to motocross and he goes through two packs of
cigarettes on days that he is trying to cut back.

Do we know each other IRL? I never motocrossed, but I have stopped to
take a smoke or two when I was totally exhausted from multiple attempts
to climb a particularly long and nasty hill. I also used to smoke
whenever we changed sides in tennis. When I stopped, all I did was stop
caughing. Big disappointment, but I've saved an awful lot of money so
far.

I think that everything is sport dependent. I really that that Lance
Armstrong would be sore 'somewhere' if he spent a day on tele's.
Muscles have to learn every new sport, and then they have to relearn
every time we take time off.

The last week of rain has been murder. Bike felt like the tires were
flat, but no such luck -- easy to fix flat tires :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 11th 05, 12:48 AM
Joerg Simon

Marty wrote:
"Florian Ederer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, real shame about Hans Knauss. He is one of the most popular skiers
in Austria. However, I fear he (and in particular the mighty ÖSV)
might not be as innocent as I hope ...

OSV?

Late answer, however:
Ö(OE)SV:
Ö(Oe)sterrreichischer Ski Verband
or in english
Austrian Ski, hmmm, don't know, maybe Club, but I don't know the exact
transaltion they use....

----
||oerg (das ist ein j!)
\|| Simon ICQ: 49154322