Suggestions for one pair of all mountain skis. HELP!

Old October 27th 03, 02:41 AM
Gabriel Kristal

Default Suggestions for one pair of all mountain skis. HELP!

I'm taking an LOA from work to finish a
semester of college in Idaho and will be skiing virtually every day. I'm
in the market for one pair of skis to get me through the winter and
don't know where to begin. Last year was the first year I really got
back into skiing in a number of years. I skied about thirty times and
demoed every time, because I didn't want to commit to a pair of skis
that I would be unhappy with. A little about my skiing: I am an expert
skier who hates groomers, still likes to shred the bumps, and likes to
be in powder whenever its worthwhile. As an adolescent, I skied
freestyle. I am 5'11", 200lb, and 31. The favorite pair of skis I demoed
last year was the Fischer Big Stix 75 at 185cm. They were fun in the
trees and could still handle serious moguls. I was underwhelmed by all
Salomons, but did like a pair of K2 Axis something. What models of skis
would you recommend that I look into? Also, what about boots?
Thanks so much for your time.
Gabe Kristal
Old October 27th 03, 02:56 AM
Walt

Gabriel Kristal wrote:
... I skied about thirty times [last year] and demoed every time...

If you don't know by now, I can't imagine that anything I could say
could possibly make any difference.

//-Walt
//
// The Volkl Conspiracy

Old October 27th 03, 03:36 AM
lal truckee

Walt wrote:

Gabriel Kristal wrote:

... I skied about thirty times [last year] and demoed every time...

If you don't know by now, I can't imagine that anything I could say
could possibly make any difference.

The traditional response is to rave about whichever ski the respondant
happens to own, claiming it's the best ever... don't be shy.

Seriously Mr. Kristal - why hasn't 30 days of demoing different skis
given you a pretty good handle on your preferences?

Old October 27th 03, 09:58 AM
Greg Hilton

The UK mags are suggesting the Rossi B2s or Dynastar Intuiv 74s as being
the best all mountain skis.
Old October 27th 03, 03:18 PM
Richard Walsh

(Gabriel Kristal) wrote in
:

[...]

Clearly you have named your ski type, All Mountain Free Ride with
a bias toward soft snow conditions.
It would appear that you have made your choice. Now go buy them.

As for boots, get what fits and get them from a QUALIFIED boot fitter.
For those 30 times skiing last year were you renting boots too?

Oh, year, and before Horvath gets in here, "Loose 20 pounds."

RW
Old October 28th 03, 03:52 PM
foot2foot

"Gabriel Kristal" wrote in message

I'm taking an LOA from work to finish a
semester of college in Idaho and will be skiing virtually every day.

Where will you be skiing virtually every day?
It makes a difference.

But offhand I'd say Volkl G4. I don't know about
the bumps, but they'll do anything else, including carve
like a knife, and go fast. They're also dependable in
off piste cut up.

They are twin tip so you can get all the air you want
without (much) fear. They're wide underfoot so that
you'll get more flotation than most other skis will give
you, short of a straight out powder pounder like AK
Launcher, or 4x4, or Bandit XXX.

However,

The powder out there can get so light that nothing will
float you except a pair of those ridiculous stick 300mm
waist powder skis that couldn't possibly be used to ski
any other conditions.

If there's thirty feet of it, and you ski into it, you're going
to the bottom. Snowshoes won't even help you. Neither
will Bandit, Launcher or 4x4, unless it's steep enough and
you go really, really fast, two conditions I don't find myself
involved in very often.

As such, powder itself is an altogether different
consideration. I'm still not sure it's *possible* to find a ski
that can float me in the lightest of powder conditions you
encounter in the continental northwest.

Old October 28th 03, 04:53 PM
Walt

foot2foot wrote:

"Gabriel Kristal" wrote in message

I'm taking an LOA from work to finish a
semester of college in Idaho and will be skiing virtually every day.

But offhand I'd say Volkl G4. I don't know about
the bumps, but they'll do anything else, including carve
like a knife, and go fast. They're also dependable in
off piste cut up.

The Volkl Vertigo G4 is last season's ski. It's replacement for this
year is the 724 Ax4. It's not intended for groomed piste, so if you
like to ski groomed at least some of the time, it's probably not the ski
for you. The others in the 724 line may be a good choice.

For those of you following the evolution of the Volkl line, it goes
something like this:

2000 2001 2002 2003

Vertigo G20 - Vertigo G21 - Vertigo G2 - 724 Ax2
Vertigo G30 - Vertigo G31 - Vertigo G3 - 724 Ax3
\- Vertigo Motion - 724 Pro
Vertigo G4 - 724 Ax4

The 2's in the series are the intermediate version.
The 3's are the advanced version.
The 4's are the powder skis, introduced last season.
They made a G1 (beginner version) last season as well, but I don't see
it this year.

The powder out there can get so light that nothing will
float you except a pair of those ridiculous stick 300mm
waist powder skis that couldn't possibly be used to ski
any other conditions.

Anything with a 300mm waist is called a snowboard.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 30th 03, 02:30 PM
foot2foot

I believe the G40 preceded the G4. I don't know about
any G41.

The G4 were just fine on the groom for me, in fact I could
make them turn so sharply on groom I was getting remarks
from the chair about "those monster skis" (it was a remote
area as I recall, they don't get out much).

It's all in hammering the hips down to the center of the turn.
They do seem a bit clumsy due to the slow edge to edge, but
they're serious off piste weapons. This, especially if you like
to go fast on the stuff. If you hit those things on the groom,
they *do* turn.

I still say he should get the G4. One of these days I might get
a pair. They're only getting cheaper.

He wants a true "all around" ski. He surely has the skill and
muscle to wheel 'em around.

There is indeed such thing as a ski with perhaps half again to
twice the waist of a Bandit or G4. At least there used to be.
It obviously can only be effectively used in deep powder.
There are times when you need it up there. If you look hard
you could probably still find a pair.

YTMV

Old October 30th 03, 02:30 PM
foot2foot

"Ed Pauls" wrote in message

foot2foot wrote:However,

The powder out there can get so light that nothing will
float you except a pair of those ridiculous stick 300mm
waist powder skis that couldn't possibly be used to ski
any other conditions.

If there's thirty feet of it, and you ski into it, you're going
to the bottom. Snowshoes won't even help you. Neither
will Bandit, Launcher or 4x4, unless it's steep enough and
you go really, really fast, two conditions I don't find myself
involved in very often.

As such, powder itself is an altogether different
consideration. I'm still not sure it's *possible* to find a ski
that can float me in the lightest of powder conditions you
encounter in the continental northwest.

You must be one heavy SOB!

Good Ol' Ed

Just pick a steeper slope.

Well, all that's relative, but for example, a place called
Showdown, in Montana, a weekend I believe, this place
is relatively in the middle of nowhere even for Montana,
and first chairs on *two to three feet of new pow* virtually
everywhere on the hill (they had fallen behind with the
grooming or something) were there for the casual taking.

With the blow and all, the terrain park, a significant one
at that, could barely be distinguished. The area had clearly
been overwhelmed by this amount of snow as quickly as it
fell.

I'm the second one down a decently steep blue run, and
I pick a line next to this big chasm in the new beautiful pow.

"Lousy snowboards" I thought.

But, I then leave my own chasm, as the three feet of snow
is so light I am actually skiing on the pack at the bottom,
blowing the pow clean out of the way.

This isn't even fair eh? If I want to ski the pack I sure
won't go looking so hard for powder.

I was demoing Bandit XXX at 180. I'm about 180 plus.
Never mind my height.

You tell *me*. What ski will float me in that stuff?

I saw the same conditions in the panhandle of Idaho later
on in the year. Feet of fresh, but so light, snowshoes
were of little use. Not the kiddie ones, the big long
expedition types. I had to slug through it as though I had
only shoes on. It compressed under my feet as if it were
feathers. Perhaps more easily than that.

Two years ago near Grand Targhee/Jackson Hole, I was
skinning, stepped off a ski and sank to my hips. The more
I struggled, the deeper I dug myself in.

I saw the same conditions at Soldier Mountain two years
ago late in the season. Spring snow that was so light it
couldn't be skied. Only avoided. It only stopped you in
your tracks leaving you with a nightmare of trying to get
back out of it. It was slushy, wet spring snow, but it
was still so light it would not float a skier.

Granted, steep "enough" would have made a difference
maybe, but who can ski a vertical slope?