Mammoth report

Old January 10th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Mammoth report

Drove up yesterday. Stopped for luch at the Ranch House in Olancha -
still good food like you would get if you dropped in on relatives.

I am staying at the Econo Lodge (formerly Wildwood Inn, formerly
International Inn) because it is cheap. I used to like this place in
its II days, because the rooms included full kitchens and two full
king beds, and you could get two interconnected rooms for large
parties. I guess that style of accommodation lost out to full-up
condos, because the rooms have been partitioned in half, and thte
klitchen is reduced to a minifridge and microwave. Well, I wanted
cheap.

The Mountain, on the other hand, is first class. Today was mostly
windless, sun going in an out of clouds, and chilly. When I stopped
midday I put on the extra shirt in my backpack. Many of the popular
black runs (Cornice, Face of 3, some others I don't know the names of)
were groomed smooth with a dusting of overnight wind drift. My only
complaint was the backside which apparently missed the big dump (or it
all blew over the ridge). Where there was adequate coverage, it
consisted of melted-then-refrozen bumps partially filled in with
melted-then-refrozen wind slab. I conquered that with a couple of
long traverses and perfect kickturns, and only one small portion of
"Holy ****!!!" out of control downhill.

Tomorrow is predicted to be light snow, and I will try out the resort
free shuttle bus system, since one of the stops is right in front of
the hotel.

Old January 11th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Yes, Dickless Henry, everybody knows you are skiing at Mammoth instead
of being man enough to ski in Utah and spew your **** in person.
Have you discussed your stalking with any LE in California?
Contact info?
How boring. Maybe you should describe things your friends will find
interesting, like having bowel movements in diapers.

Old January 12th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

[...]

Today I decided to start later and skip the cold first hour, then ski
longer in the afternoon. That worked out, especially since I took the
shuttle instead of driving in the fresh ice/snow/mud mix on the
roads. I saw a shuttle pass the hotel while I was dressing (my room
window faces the road) so I dawdle enough on the Internet so that I
managed to get down to the bus stop just before the next bus arrived.

Small storm came in as predicted, so the only lift open to the ridge
line was Chair 12, one of the antiques from the 70's. But no lift
line, and the snow was blowing in fresh over the ridge, so I made a
dozen or so loops there. Got to be on first-name basis with the
lifities.

Earlier, I had worked my way clockwise from the Main Lodge to Chair
15. The bottom of 15 was almost tropical, but the wind at the top of
Chairs 9 and 10 was brutal, and the visibility was down to ski-tip but
not much further due to the flat light and blowing snow. There were a
couple of incidents where I could feel my feet were in something soft,
but I couldn't tell what it was or what I was heading into, so I
sitzmarked out, something my new boarder pants are designed to do
regularly.

I found out that there is free wi-fi in the main lodge. Since this
little web-book would fit pretty easily into my backpack, I'm glad I
didn't know that earlier - Iwould never have made it out tpo the
slopes.

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Old January 12th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:16:23 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Post a report on that movie. I just done watching The Sorcerer's
Apprentice.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 12th 11, 06:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Post a report on that movie. *I just done watching The Sorcerer's
Apprentice.

As much as I liked the John Wayne version, this one is a lot better.
Not to be missed is the scene of Mattie's bargaining with the horse
dealer.
Old January 12th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:20:06 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Post a report on that movie. *I just done watching The Sorcerer's
Apprentice.

As much as I liked the John Wayne version, this one is a lot better.
Not to be missed is the scene of Mattie's bargaining with the horse
dealer.

Please post more details. It was one of John Wayne's best movies. I
can't imagine a better version. I believe it was the only movie John
Wayne got an Oscar for.

Old January 12th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Post a report on that movie. *I just done watching The Sorcerer's
Apprentice.

As much as I liked the John Wayne version, this one is a lot better.
Not to be missed is the scene of Mattie's bargaining with the horse
dealer.

Please post more details. *It was one of John Wayne's best movies. *I
can't imagine a better version. *I believe it was the only movie John
Wayne got an Oscar for.

To me, the weak part of the original movie was the performance of Glen
Campbell, who was apparently cast only for his good looks.

I think Wayne's supporting-actor role to Robert Montgomery in They
Were Expendable was just as good, but it didn't even get an Oscar
nomination. By the time of True Grit, most voters knew it was Wayne's
last chance at an Oscar, and voted from their hearts. It might also
have helped Wayne that both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voigt were both
nominated for best actor for their roles in Midnight Cowboy, thus
sharing votes with each other.

Old January 13th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

[...]

sharing votes with each other.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, ppppppusssssyyyyy, if you're going to discuss cowboy movies on a
skiing newsgroup, the least you could do is discuss your pathetic
cowardice hiding out in California.
How about discussing lying to LE and refusing to provide contact info?
What is your opinion of Diaper Bob's EMERGENCY GOLF TRIP?
PPPPPPPPUUUUUUUSSSSSSSYYYYYYYY
Old January 13th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

Tonight I am off to the local theatre (cheap Tuesdays) to see True
Grit..

Post a report on that movie. *I just done watching The Sorcerer's
Apprentice.

As much as I liked the John Wayne version, this one is a lot better.
Not to be missed is the scene of Mattie's bargaining with the horse
dealer.

Please post more details. *It was one of John Wayne's best movies. *I
can't imagine a better version. *I believe it was the only movie John
Wayne got an Oscar for.

To me, the weak part of the original movie was the performance of Glen
Campbell, who was apparently cast only for his good looks.

I disagree with this. Glen Campbell's part was only minor.

I think Wayne's supporting-actor role to Robert Montgomery in They
Were Expendable was just as good, but it didn't even get an Oscar
nomination. By the time of True Grit, most voters knew it was Wayne's
last chance at an Oscar, and voted from their hearts. It might also
have helped Wayne that both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voigt were both
nominated for best actor for their roles in Midnight Cowboy, thus
sharing votes with each other.

I'm with you. But what about the new True Grit? Who's in it and how
was the show?

Did Robert Duvall have a cameo? Was Blackie in it?

Old January 13th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

[...]

Forgot to mention. How hilarious to read two pathetic, laughable,
complete and total pussy cowards discussing an American Male icon.
Because the closest either of these freaks will get to being a man is
by watching a real man in the movies.

Aspen v Mammoth slanton Alpine Skiing 6 January 17th 06 06:13 PM
mammoth hob Snowboarding 3 February 15th 05 10:19 PM
Mammoth Scaramanga Snowboarding 2 November 11th 04 10:24 PM
Mammoth mountain.... The Aikidoka Snowboarding 0 April 1st 04 09:30 PM
Mammoth report Seth Masia Alpine Skiing 0 November 11th 03 01:09 AM