Hardwood Floor Guy Needed

Old December 28th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default Hardwood Floor Guy Needed

On 12/28/10 15:24, pigo wrote:

On Dec 28, 4:15 pm, wrote:

I mostly do my own work. While your right it's only
a floor, I do hate replacing them when if you pick
the right stuff and do a good job, you won't need to
as in your Salt Lake house.

The stuff in my SL house is 100 years old. Still there. I just don't
know how many more times it can be refinished. Without kids I think it
will last as long as I need it to.

This hickory is _super_ hardwood. The staples into the tounge are
pretty far down there from the refinish zone. Unless someone really
abuses it and runs around in here with metal spikes on, it should last
forever.

I like to do things the best that they can be done. But sometimes
there are cost/reward factors to consider. That didn't happen in the
kitchen however. We pretty much went all out on that. The hardware was
$2300 !!!!!!

What do you guys think of bamboo? It's really pretty, especially the
darker color. How long does it take for a water puddle to do damage?

--
Cheers, Bev
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for
Old December 29th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 12/28/2010 7:18 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
What do you guys think of bamboo? It's really pretty, especially the
darker color. How long does it take for a water puddle to do damage?

We have it in our sunroom, and like it a lot. Since we have floor to
ceiling doorwalls on three sides and we leave them open a lot we get
water on the floor quite frequently. We're careful to wipe it up before
it sits too long (i.e. two to four hours) and have had no problem.

With a proper sealant, bamboo is as good as hardwood as far as moisture
goes. Probably not a first choice for a bathroom with a shower, but
otherwise it's fine.

//Walt
Old December 29th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 5:18*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/28/10 15:24, pigo wrote:

On Dec 28, 4:15 pm, *wrote:

[...]

Even my hickory has swollen up a little under the dog bowl from time
to time. It will dry and flatten out.

All the bamboo I've seen is wood laminate skinned with bamboo.
Laminate always have the possibility of delamming of course. But the
glues and engineering are pretty good these days. The bamboo I've seen
is also pre-finished= easier and cheaper.

It will take a good number of hours to damage. And if you get it up in
a day or so it will settle.
Old December 29th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 7:44*pm, Walt wrote:
On 12/28/2010 8:53 PM, VtSkier wrote:

On 12/28/2010 06:36 PM, wrote:
, *wrote this crap:

Uhm, Horvie,
I think Pigo said "HARDWOOD" floor, not Pergo.

I used Armstrong. *NOT Pergo.

Same **** different bag. I used Pergo in one
room and Armstrong in another. Can't see a lick
of difference either in durability looks or
ease of installation.

We used bamboo flooring for the last two projects - it looks great,
wears like hardwood, is easy to install (just like Horvie's fake crap),
and is sustainably farmed. What's not to like?

Oh, right. *Pigo hates anything that's sustainable. *Nevermind...

//Walt

What's not sustainable about hickory? I just wouldn't fall for the
marketing ploy "sustainable" on the box and change what I wanted.
Old December 29th 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On 12/28/2010 06:36 PM, wrote:
, *wrote this crap:

Uhm, Horvie,
I think Pigo said "HARDWOOD" floor, not Pergo.

I used Armstrong. *NOT Pergo.

Same **** different bag. I used Pergo in one
room and Armstrong in another. Can't see a lick
of difference either in durability looks or
ease of installation.

We used bamboo flooring for the last two projects - it looks great,
wears like hardwood, is easy to install (just like Horvie's fake crap),
and is sustainably farmed. What's not to like?

Oh, right. *Pigo hates anything that's sustainable. *Nevermind...

//Walt

What's not sustainable about hickory? I just wouldn't fall for the
marketing ploy "sustainable" on the box and change what I wanted.-

Shants Bob, you must be proud of yourself. You are a sustainable
pussy. You conserve and nuture your pussyhood. You never run out of
pussy energy.
Old December 29th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
pigo wrote:

On Dec 28, 11:20*am, Alan Baker wrote:

Sounds cool. Got any pics? I'm considering my options for the renovation
of my place...

Here's my place. Hopefully the link works.

I've since replaced that kitchen table with a 6 seat, 36" high, 60X42,
espresso dining set. It looks great!

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...014/a=12407180
5_124071805/

Sorry, but they want me to register and agree to terms and conditions
before I can do more than see a small thumbnail.

The thumbnail looks pretty nice though.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 29th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

The Real Bev wrote:

What do you guys think of bamboo? It's really pretty, especially the
darker color. How long does it take for a water puddle to do damage?

Stay away from bamboo it looks great soft as ****. Drop something it
dents can not be sanded out as surface is different from depth. I had it
and it looks great until you do something to it. Also it slowly goes
to dust, as it dries out. Was in to bamboo a bit, learned a bunch of
stuff and china like any thing it ships out is not in best interest of
user. Bamboo needs to be harvested in the 5 to 7 year range and now
china is harvesting in 4 to 6 years and it being closer to 4.
Also the bamboo mite is resistant to everything but a toxic cyanide
flush. I had a set of bamboo utensils that the mites ate there way out
of bamboo but could not out of sealed bag that had come from china.
Old December 29th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 10:29*pm, The Real Bev wrote:

The bamboo at Costco is solid -- if strips of bamboo glued together can
be considered solid. *No other wood, at any rate.

That's laminate.

All things considered, blotchy ceramic tile with dark grout seems the
most practical for people who regard floor care as a quarterly event. *I
wonder if you could put multiple coats of spar varnish on bamboo...

I think that the bamboo would hold up pretty well for you. That pre
finished coating is pretty hard. And if you do a traditional hard wood
floor? Get the glitza finish. Don't let them talk you into the water
based, non smelly stuff. Get the most offensive oil based finish you
can. The applicators only want to make it easier on themselves and
it's not anywhere near as good.

The hickory floor I have I actually had them redo. I ordered the
glitza but the installer went ahead and put the pc water based ****
on. I let it go for about 6 months. It raised the grain and edges as
well as didn't cover evenly. They came out and totally redid the
floor.