Unsafe safety bars at Breck and Keystone

Old December 3rd 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Default Unsafe safety bars at Breck and Keystone

Breck and Keystone have added advertising junk to the safety bars on
many of their lifts. The added weight now makes it much more
difficult to raise the safety bar when getting ready to get off the
lift. All they need to do is to add some counter weights to the back
side of the safety bar assembly, but that might cost Vail Resorts more
money. Someone is going to have a problem, and then we'll see what
happens. Some of their own staff know about the problem, but nothing
is being done. We'll see how long it takes for them to fix their
own-caused safety problem.

Old December 4th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alan Baker

In article
,
" wrote:

Breck and Keystone have added advertising junk to the safety bars on
many of their lifts. The added weight now makes it much more
difficult to raise the safety bar when getting ready to get off the
lift. All they need to do is to add some counter weights to the back
side of the safety bar assembly, but that might cost Vail Resorts more
money. Someone is going to have a problem, and then we'll see what
happens. Some of their own staff know about the problem, but nothing
is being done. We'll see how long it takes for them to fix their
own-caused safety problem.

It's hardly surprising that ski areas will be looking for additional
revenue during tough economic times, and it is equally unsurprising that
they would want to spend as little as possible to garner that revenue.

Hence, the advertising goes on, but not any counter-weight. The first
brings in the bucks, the seconds just adds to the cost.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old December 5th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 4, 4:45*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

Only pussies use the pussy bar in the first place. Takes a REAL pussy
to be so stupid that he can't lift one with the advertising bar. And
you two are REAL PUSSY TM by any definition of the word.
Old December 6th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
nogodforme

" wrote:
[...]

Most of the time, 2 people lift the bar at the same time as the chair
approaches the drop off.

They'll say, "Ready?" and then lift.
Old December 6th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/6/10 12:02 PM, nogodforme wrote:

Most of the time, 2 people lift the bar at the same time as the chair
approaches the drop off.

They'll say, "Ready?" and then lift.

I think that "Ready?" inquiry is merely a polite attempt to avoid
cranial impact. The two people bar lifting collaboration is unnecessary
and unusual.
Old January 18th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Richard Henry

On Dec 3 2010, 3:56 pm, " wrote:
Breck and Keystone have added advertising junk to the safety bars on
many of their lifts. The added weight now makes it much more
difficult to raise the safety bar when getting ready to get off the
lift. All they need to do is to add some counter weights to the back
side of the safety bar assembly, but that might cost Vail Resorts more
money. Someone is going to have a problem, and then we'll see what
happens. Some of their own staff know about the problem, but nothing
is being done. We'll see how long it takes for them to fix their
own-caused safety problem.

I saw the same sort of thing on Chair 2 at Mammoth last week - a trail
map warped to fit the space and a few ads. It seemed that they had
added some weight to the counterweight bar in the back.

And I didn't see them on any other Mammoth and June lifts.