Repost from moderated: 5 months until my first ski trip

Old November 8th 03, 06:04 PM
Christopher Mooney

Default Repost from moderated: 5 months until my first ski trip

Howdy folks!

I posted this on the moderated forum a couple of weeks back, and some
wise reader suggested I post it over here as well in order to get a
broader response. So here goes!

I am delurking to start priming myself for my very fist ski trip this
coming Spring Break. Seeing as though I have never been skiing, the
missus, myself, and our four year old will be signing up for the
onsite lessons.

Few things I was wanting to ask a

1. Are there any exercises or practice routines you would suggest to
start now to be "ahead of the game"?

2. When you took your first ski trip, what did you wish you had
done/taken with you that you didn't?

3. Same as two, but flipped. What did you take/do that you wish you
hadn't?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old November 8th 03, 07:30 PM
Sue

In message , Christopher
Mooney writes

Few things I was wanting to ask a

1. Are there any exercises or practice routines you would suggest to
start now to be "ahead of the game"?

Start with this simple evaluation exercise after you shower:
Stand on one foot; dry the other, pick up your sock and put it on, pick
up your shoe and put it on, tie the laces, put that foot on the floor
and repeat with the other one.
If/when that's easy, buy a one-foot cube of furniture foam and see if
you can stand on it. Then progress to standing on one foot on it.
When you can do that, stop worrying about your balance and give the cube
to your daughter's playgroup.

Meanwhile, ask a teenager to take you and your family ice or roller
skating.

2. When you took your first ski trip, what did you wish you had
done/taken with you that you didn't?

Earplugs.
"Ski in, ski out" as a description of accomodation means "There will be
heavy machinery grinding past at intervals throughout the night" and
your room is always too hot so you want the window open.

3. Same as two, but flipped. What did you take/do that you wish you
hadn't?

Skiing seriously - but I soon learnt better. Keep your sense of humour
with you at all times!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Watch out for snow snakes.
--
Sue ];(
Old November 8th 03, 09:49 PM
ant

Sue wrote:
In message , Christopher
Mooney writes

2. When you took your first ski trip, what did you wish you had
done/taken with you that you didn't?

Earplugs.
"Ski in, ski out" as a description of accomodation means "There will
be heavy machinery grinding past at intervals throughout the night"
and your room is always too hot so you want the window open.

So true! At Keystone the groomers were going up and down the Schoolmarm
runout all night and into the morning. They seemed to do their last pass
just before the mountain opened. Only the staff quarters were that close to
the runs though, everything else was over the road (except for that stone
place on the front of River Run). I think skidoos are worse though.

3. Same as two, but flipped. What did you take

Lessons!

ant

Old November 9th 03, 05:13 AM
foot2foot

Default 5 months until my first ski trip

"Christopher Mooney" wrote in message

Seeing as though I have never been skiing, the
missus, myself, and our four year old will be signing up for the
onsite lessons.

Few things I was wanting to ask a

1. Are there any exercises or practice routines you would suggest to
start now to be "ahead of the game"?

Stand with feet straight ahead, shoulders, head, etc.
facing straight ahead, square to your feet. Sight down
your leg and center your knee over your second toe,
next to the big toe. Look straight ahead and stand on
that foot. Then hop around on that foot. Notice that,
if you keep everything square and pointed straight ahead,
it's the movement of your *hips* laterally that allows
you to keep your balance.

Find some doormat maybe sixteen inches across. Stand
in skiing position on one side of the mat. That would be
hands held out ahead of you, facing forward, slightly
rounded shoulders, slightly bent at the waist. Hop
from one side of the mat to the other while maintaining
body position. Once you get going, as you hop from
side to side of the mat, keep your belly button over
the center of the mat the whole time. Only the feet
move from one side to the other. The body stays
in place over the mat. Start out easily with this.
Perhaps five or ten reps at a time.

Lean your back against a wall, then slide your back
down until your thighs are parallel with the floor,
stay in that position as long as you can.

Old November 9th 03, 02:26 PM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:04:58 -0600, Christopher Mooney
wrote:

1. Are there any exercises or practice routines you would suggest to
start now to be "ahead of the game"?

No. Exercise is way overrated. Just do a bunch of one-handed credit
card swipes every day and you'll be fine.

2. When you took your first ski trip, what did you wish you had
done/taken with you that you didn't?

Vicodin and Bubble Gum.

3. Same as two, but flipped. What did you take/do that you wish you
hadn't?

Skis, boots and the attitude that if I can "ski the east" I can ski
anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You're very welcome. This is a warm fuzzy place to hang out once you
get used to the reactionary hateful people that populate it.

JP
*************************
On the verge of total victory.
Old November 9th 03, 02:57 PM
Walt

Christopher Mooney wrote:
Howdy folks!

I posted this on the moderated forum a couple of weeks back, and some
wise reader suggested I post it over here as well in order to get a
broader response. So here goes!

I am delurking to start priming myself for my very fist ski trip this
coming Spring Break. Seeing as though I have never been skiing, the
missus, myself, and our four year old will be signing up for the
onsite lessons.

Few things I was wanting to ask a

1. Are there any exercises or practice routines you would suggest to
start now to be "ahead of the game"?

2. When you took your first ski trip, what did you wish you had
done/taken with you that you didn't?

3. Same as two, but flipped. What did you take/do that you wish you
hadn't?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I composed and sent a lengthy well thought out response t your
questions, which was unfortunately eaten by Google. I just can't seem
to get RSAM to work with any newsprovider. Not sure why...

Anyway, my main point was that there's a small ski hill about 225
miles from your house near Kansas City. If you want to get ahead of
the curve, arrrange to go there for a weekend and take a couple of
lessons. There is no substitute for skiing on an actual hill on
actual snow, and a bunny hill is a bunny hill whether it's in Colorado
or Missouri.

Your're travelling a long way and spending a lot of money to go to a
real mountain - it would be a shame to spend the first two days stuck
on the bunny hill while you get the chops to go up on the real hill.
You can learn the basic snowplow and wedge turn in Missouri as well as
Colorado.

-Walt

Old November 9th 03, 03:53 PM
pigo

"Walt" wrote in message
Christopher Mooney wrote:
Howdy folks!

I posted this on the moderated forum a couple of weeks back, and

some
wise reader suggested I post it over here as well in order to get a
broader response. So here goes!

I'm sorry if I didn't mention the flack over here. You're a big boy
right? Just killfile (I do) or skip over the posts from those you find
never have anything to add. The worst offender can't ski either so you
won't miss anything.

I composed and sent a lengthy well thought out response t your
questions, which was unfortunately eaten by Google. I just can't seem
to get RSAM to work with any newsprovider. Not sure why...

Anyway, my main point was that there's a small ski hill about 225
miles from your house near Kansas City. If you want to get ahead of
the curve, arrrange to go there for a weekend and take a couple of
lessons. There is no substitute for skiing on an actual hill on
actual snow, and a bunny hill is a bunny hill whether it's in Colorado
or Missouri.

That's great advice! Lessons......blah blah blah...Equipment......blah
blah blah...all good to varying degrees. NOTHING beats miles on skis.
The things you learn in lessons don't just happen when you are told what
to do. Imagine that when you are shown how to draw an "A" on a piece of
paper that you keep making a "B". That's kinda how lessons go.
Eventually you end up with an "A" and you can't figure out why that was
so difficult. It's the practice.

My wife took lessons at a ski shop on rotating carpet. It made a huge
difference in that critical first impression when she got up there with
the cold and strange equipment and all that jazz.

pigo