Wet seaweed competition...

Old September 29th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Default Wet seaweed competition...

Another boring friday in the office.....

After the year we've had to date (UK), with record breaking temperatures,
typhoons in Birmingham and Derby and now the warmest September for 350
years, anyone care to predict what the coming skiing season holds for the
alps?

2 weeks ago, I heard a weather man say it would be a very mild autumn and
winter. Last night, I heard a weather man say it would be a very cold
winter. Hmm... so much for expensive computer modelling. Any thoughts or
wisdom from those living in the hills? And how badly have the glaciers
retreated this summer?

John

Old September 29th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian D. Shaw

At this distance out, this is as good a forecast (if you call it good!)
as you're likely to get:

http://www.metoffice.com/research/se...nao/index.html

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old September 30th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Devs

In message , Adrian D. Shaw
writes
At this distance out, this is as good a forecast (if you call it good!)
as you're likely to get:

http://www.metoffice.com/research/se...nao/index.html

No no no, the rowan trees have a bumper crop of fluorescent berries this
year. This can only mean a "hard" winter is coming. What does the stork
hotline say?
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old September 30th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Devs :
No no no, the rowan trees have a bumper crop of fluorescent berries this
year. This can only mean a "hard" winter is coming. What does the stork
hotline say?

Well let's hope that the rowan trees know more than the met office does
then! (I've noticed that too, btw)

There was something recently from the UK met office suggesting that it
might not be so bad, but I couldn't find it when I posted the above.
I'll post the link if I ever do find it.

Adrian
Old September 30th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Adrian D. Shaw :
There was something recently from the UK met office suggesting that it
might not be so bad, but I couldn't find it when I posted the above.
I'll post the link if I ever do find it.

Found it!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...6_7/index.html
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporat...r20060921.html

That gives much more hope than the previous one I posted. It was updated
by the Met Office on 21st September. Maybe they've been watching the
rowan trees.

Adrian
Old October 1st 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Ricketts

Interesting, and as you say, a little more hopeful. There are a lot of
berries on the trees down here in the south west too....has anyone ever
studied the correlation with weather patterns btw? ;-)

Old October 1st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MadCow

In message , John
Ricketts writes

Interesting, and as you say, a little more hopeful. There are a lot of
berries on the trees down here in the south west too....has anyone ever
studied the correlation with weather patterns btw? ;-)

Yes. They concluded that plants can't foresee the weather.

--
Sue ]*(
Old October 2nd 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Ricketts

So... studying the berries works as well as the BBC weathermen then? ;-)

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message , John
Ricketts writes

Interesting, and as you say, a little more hopeful. There are a lot of
berries on the trees down here in the south west too....has anyone ever
studied the correlation with weather patterns btw? ;-)

Yes. They concluded that plants can't foresee the weather.

--
Sue ]*(

Serious competition at Mount Snow this Sunday! Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing 0 March 9th 06 10:56 PM
BBC Wiltshire website - Competition: 2 Amped 2 XBox games to give away BBC Wiltshire Snowboarding 0 March 26th 04 03:30 PM
Competition Eric Snowboarding 2 February 5th 04 08:53 AM
Hugh Acton on the competition... Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 0 December 17th 03 07:03 PM