Stop Waxing!

Old January 18th 06, 01:44 AM

Default Stop Waxing!

I'm not sure I buy this, and evidently Swix and Toko don't buy enough
advertising with The Economist. Maybe it's a magazine version of a
protection racket.

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=5300005

--
ant

Old January 18th 06, 01:57 AM

In article , "ant"
wrote:

I'm not sure I buy this, and evidently Swix and Toko don't buy enough
advertising with The Economist. Maybe it's a magazine version of a
protection racket.

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=5300005

This is a very brief precis of a fairly simple experiment and I doubt
that it really applies in all situations.

It's fairly easy to tell that in at least some circumstances wax
definitely helps. Just take out your skis when they're really sticky,
then have them waxed and feel the difference. g

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 18th 06, 09:43 AM

Interesting. It is possible that a meterial be 'self lubricating'.
With nylon bases, wax was usefullto water proof them, but if the modern
base is so tight, and resistent to water and grit, then indeed, why
wax.

Do not forget too that the cross hatching, the diagonal lines cut onto
the base, intentionally roughen the base, to help the ski form that
layer of water. Different cross hatchings suiting different sking
disciplines.

Old January 18th 06, 01:33 PM

ant wrote:

I'm not sure I buy this, and evidently Swix and Toko don't buy enough
advertising with The Economist. Maybe it's a magazine version of a
protection racket.

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=5300005

Obviously the author has never had the experience of trying to ski on
wet warm snow using skis that haven't been waxed in a long time.

The first time this happened to me was the year I started skiing - I
bought a pair of used skis that probably hadn't been waxed in 10 years
and skied for a while without a problem until the first wet snow day. I
remember taking the skis off and walking down the hill.

The second time it happened was last year when I rented some XC gear.
Every time I picked up a ski it had three inches of wet heavy snow stuck
to the bottom. Fortunately, I had a bottle of the paint on wax in the kit.

//Walt

Old January 18th 06, 01:44 PM

Sounds like the guy doesn't know how to wax.

Old January 18th 06, 03:55 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

Sounds like the guy doesn't know how to wax.

Can anybody explain waxing for conditions?
I am trying to get an understanding of it. Picking the wax for the temp
is understandable but using which brush to get the right structure is
where I an getting lost. Not sure about snow texture and moisture
content and how it relates to the process of waxing.
Any interesting web resources I have hit toko swix and holmenkol a
little more understanding is needed.

thanks
michael

I trained at Mt Southington last night and the first 3 gates were flat
after the start house and I just felt that a better glide at start would
have helped my time.
Heading to the GS race at Stratton this Sunday, need all the help I can
to keep up with the masters in my age group.

Old January 18th 06, 04:21 PM

This chimes with what I have thought for a long time - waxing skis
produces great results for one or two runs max., then the
smoother-gliding effect rapidly disappears.

Old January 18th 06, 04:38 PM

NM wrote:

This chimes with what I have thought for a long time - waxing skis
produces great results for one or two runs max., then the
smoother-gliding effect rapidly disappears.

"It all gets scraped off in the first run anyway. Might as well just
use Turtle Wax"

Excuse me, but I think this is where I came in.

//Walt
Old January 18th 06, 05:32 PM

Yup - I have had great results using Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray!

http://tinyurl.com/c4xde

Old January 18th 06, 06:25 PM

thinnmann wrote:
Walt wrote:

"It all gets scraped off in the first run anyway. Might as well just use Turtle Wax"

Yup - I have had great results using Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray!

You don't live in Toledo by any chance do you?

//Walt

waxing broady Snowboarding 2 February 13th 05 04:44 PM
Ski waxing stand agale Nordic Skiing 15 January 24th 04 12:07 AM
What I (think I) learned about kick waxing this weekend Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 4 December 18th 03 07:11 PM
Questions about waxing SebB Nordic Skiing 10 December 8th 03 05:47 PM
Stop at the Free Coffeehouse at 850 Lincoln in Denver Before You Head Out Julie Pezze North American Ski Resorts 6 November 4th 03 11:43 PM