Snowboard Magazines

Old March 26th 04, 11:05 PM
Geoff

Default Snowboard Magazines

Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically ads,
pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews (more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on
techniques, travel info etc.

-Geoff
Old March 26th 04, 11:19 PM
AsaaraAgain

Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically ads,
pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews (more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on techniques,
travel info etc.

That'd be called a "ski" magazine. For some reason, the magazine industry
seems to adhere to the same sterotypes as the crossposting RSA snowboard
bashers, sadly. :-(

Someone needs to start a webzine or something for "older" boarders, those that
aren't part of the "steez" and "bling" generation, that have ridden Black
Snows/asymmetrical boards/boards with split tails, those that find snowboarding
is easier on the knees than skiing, those interested in all the little
technical details they can get their hands on when they can't get out on the
hill, etc., if nobody has yet. Maybe a collaborative effort.

The average age in these newsgroups seems to be higher than, say, on the Burton
message board, but wading through Google groups can be confusing at times,
there's a huge amount of information available, and plenty of people here that
know enough to write articles on all this stuff.

We need to do this.
Old March 27th 04, 01:14 AM
Magnum626

I know the feeling...but recently have subscriped to frequency...and check
out the snowboard journal....

snowboardjournal.com
frqncy.com

awesome mags...cool articles.... not a gazillion ads....

not teeny bopper articles....

true hardcore reading...snowcat stories...stories from riders... powder
runs....

not soo much tech stuff though...still waitin to find something....but
better than all those other 'typical' mags...

magnum

ospam (AsaaraAgain) wrote in
:

Old March 27th 04, 01:48 PM
Joe Ramirez

"Geoff" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically ads,
pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews (more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on
techniques, travel info etc.

Boy, do I hear you! Every decent enthusiast magazine I've seen, whether for
a sport (tennis, golf, skiing, etc.) or hobby (musical instruments, stereo
equipment, etc.) has certain essential ingredients:
1. Lucidly written, well-illustrated instructional materials for readers of
all levels, from beginners to experts
2. Intelligible reporting of news, such as tournament results or interviews
with professionals
3. Helpful, unbiased reviews of equipment
4. If relevant to the field, features on resorts or venues
5. Ads that provide useful product information.

As you point out, snowboard magazines have none of these elements. Yet there
must be some money in this niche, because the mags seems to have no trouble
selling lots of space for garish ads, though I don't know whether this
reflects substantial circulation or just the advertisers' desperate,
self-deluding attempts to reach the coveted "youth market." (I do note that
ski magazines have many ads for upscale products not directly related to
skiing, such as cars and watches. Snowboard magazine ads tend to be almost
exclusively snowboard-related.) It's hard to believe that endless photos of
boarders going down rails in front of their apartment buildings will attract
many readers, because I suspect that kids who like that sort of thing aren't
very interested in reading magazines.

Btw, an excellent book for tips on technique is "Snowboarding Skills" by
Cindy Kleh (Firefly 2002). It's extremely well-designed, with great color
photos, easy-to-follow text and comments from pros. A monthly magazine that
borrowed from this book's format would be excellent.

Joe Ramirez

Old March 27th 04, 10:19 PM
Bob

"Geoff" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written

for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically

pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews

(more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on
techniques, travel info etc.

The PSIA magazine "The Professional Rider" is excellent, although
obviously aimed towards instructors.

I don't know if it is available without being an instructor.

Bob

Old March 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Waco Paco

Geoff wrote:
Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically ads,
pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews (more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on
techniques, travel info etc.

-Geoff

I find Snowboarder to be the worst magazine out there for anykind of
technical, more mature stuff. Everyone have said, one or two articles
then just all ads and pictures. Transworld is a little better, with more
articles, but still is orientated to the typical park shredders. Up here
in canada we get Snowboard Canada. Personally, I think they are the best
out of them 3. They have really good travel stories (An article on Red
Mtn., BC interiror, Alaska, and Newfoundland). And every year they put
out a buyers guide in the fall.

However, if you're looking for alpine board material, I can't help you
there.... haven't seen anything like that, EVER!! Even at a ski and
snowboard show.

-stu
Old March 29th 04, 12:13 PM
Baka Dasai

On 26 Mar 2004 16:05:29 -0800, Geoff said (and I quote):
Does anybody know of a snowboarding magazine that is written for an
audience over the age of 14? Every mag I look at is basically ads,
pictures and hero worship.
I was hoping for something that had in depth equipment reviews (more
than just cutting and pasting what the catalog says), tips on
techniques, travel info etc.

You're not alone. Here's some Bomber threads that may be of interest:

On Snowboard Journal:
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...&threadid=1266

On Transworld:
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...&threadid=1192
--
A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Old March 30th 04, 01:03 AM
The Aikidoka

Yep...

Sad to say, but at your house we get both Snowboarder and Skiing magazine...

For snowboarding, I simply look through at pics and the ads for equipment I
might like. I then throw it aside 10 minutes later and start reading her
skiing magazine from cover to cover.

I can't figure out why one of the magazine publishers doesn't go after the
post-adolescent snowboarding market. WE'RE the ones buying $600 boards,
$300 bindings, multi-day resort trips, etc.

never have been able to figure it out.

aiki