Snowing in Tignes!

Old December 6th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Snowing in Tignes!

It's not exactly dumping, but the morning rain turned to snow. Judging
by the tree outside my window there's been about 10cm. It's settling on
the road, but I'm fairly sure it's still too warm to get really
excited.

I'm at 2100m, btw.

Cheers,

Matt

Old December 6th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Matt T" wrote in message
ps.com...
| It's not exactly dumping, but the morning rain turned to snow. Judging
| by the tree outside my window there's been about 10cm. It's settling
on
| the road, but I'm fairly sure it's still too warm to get really
| excited.
|
| I'm at 2100m, btw.

Yes kind of gradually transformed to snow around lunchtime /early
afternoon in the Upper Tarentaise - snowline was allegedly set to be at
1800m this am according to meteo.fr, but it was well up around
2200/2300m until late morning. From around 2pm it was down to around
1600m, still about that (meteo.fr had predicted 1200m by late
afternoon).

Still coming down now, has been pretty heavy on and off all day, so
there should be a reasonable dump at altitude. Now all we need is some
prolonged cold weather... and that is forecast for the weekend, with
some more snow.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 9th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Matt T wrote:

It's not exactly dumping, but the morning rain turned to snow. Judging
by the tree outside my window there's been about 10cm. It's settling on
the road, but I'm fairly sure it's still too warm to get really
excited.

I'm at 2100m, btw.

Cheers,

Matt

So anyway, after a brief change into alt.politics, I thought I'd talk
about this hobby called *skiing* a bit more, or at least say a bit more
about the snow.

The forecast seems to have been pretty accurate - started coming down
yesterday and hasn't stopped yet. Probably a good foot of new stuff up
on the glacier - this is the only sector that seems to be open at the
moment. Aeroski and Palafour don't look like they're running yet. I
still haven't sorted out my pass yet, so I can't tell you what the
actual skiing's like - visibility is likely to be a bit rubbish.

Temperature seems to be dropping as well - looks like it could be a
pretty great Christmas after all.

Matt

Old December 9th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Matt T" wrote in message
ps.com...

| Matt T wrote:
|
| It's not exactly dumping, but the morning rain turned to snow.
Judging
| by the tree outside my window there's been about 10cm. It's settling
on
| the road, but I'm fairly sure it's still too warm to get really
| excited.
|
| I'm at 2100m, btw.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Matt
|
| So anyway, after a brief change into alt.politics, I thought I'd talk
| about this hobby called *skiing* a bit more, or at least say a bit
more
| about the snow.
|
| The forecast seems to have been pretty accurate - started coming down
| yesterday and hasn't stopped yet. Probably a good foot of new stuff up
| on the glacier - this is the only sector that seems to be open at the
| moment. Aeroski and Palafour don't look like they're running yet. I
| still haven't sorted out my pass yet, so I can't tell you what the
| actual skiing's like - visibility is likely to be a bit rubbish.
|
| Temperature seems to be dropping as well - looks like it could be a
| pretty great Christmas after all.

Hope so - but the women's World Cup Criterium Downhill and Super G at
Val d'Isere, scheduled for next Saturday and Sunday, was cancelled
today. Despite good conditions higher up, there wasn't sufficient depth
of hard snow in the lower sections down to La Dalle, so that suggests
conditions are far from brilliant - first time this race has ever been
cancelled for lack of snow, I believe, in decades.

Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so, so those cannons
had better be working flat out this week....

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 9th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Charles Sweeney

pg wrote

Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so

Thanks for the reminder.

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com
Old December 10th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Charles Sweeney" wrote in message
.4...
| pg wrote
|
| Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so
|
| Thanks for the reminder.

Hey, what do you want, B.S. ?

There are folk booking up last minute. Tell it like it is, and they
might actually be able to head for somewhere where there's at least some
reasonable cover.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 10th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MadCow

In message , pg
writes

"Charles Sweeney" wrote in message
. 1.4...
| pg wrote
|
| Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so
|
| Thanks for the reminder.

Hey, what do you want, B.S. ?

There are folk booking up last minute. Tell it like it is, and they
might actually be able to head for somewhere where there's at least some
reasonable cover.

Have recent forecasts for the Alps been reasonably accurate?

--
Sue ]
Old December 10th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"MadCow" wrote in message
| In message , pg
| writes
|
| "Charles Sweeney" wrote in message
| . 1.4...
| | pg wrote
| |
| | Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so
| |
| | Thanks for the reminder.
|
| Hey, what do you want, B.S. ?
|
| There are folk booking up last minute. Tell it like it is, and they
| might actually be able to head for somewhere where there's at least
some
| reasonable cover.
|
| Have recent forecasts for the Alps been reasonably accurate?

The ten day forecasts I've seen haven't been too far out, since
mid-November. With a high pressure moving in, it looks like it's going
to be a sunny (hopefully not too warm) week in this neck of the woods...

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 11th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

pg wrote:

"MadCow" wrote in message
| In message , pg
| writes
|
| "Charles Sweeney" wrote in message
| . 1.4...
| | pg wrote
| |
| | Plus no snow forecast for the next seven days or so
| |
| | Thanks for the reminder.
|
| Hey, what do you want, B.S. ?
|
| There are folk booking up last minute. Tell it like it is, and they
| might actually be able to head for somewhere where there's at least
some
| reasonable cover.
|
| Have recent forecasts for the Alps been reasonably accurate?

The ten day forecasts I've seen haven't been too far out, since
mid-November. With a high pressure moving in, it looks like it's going
to be a sunny (hopefully not too warm) week in this neck of the woods...

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

I succumbed yesterday and bought a half-day pass - the links to Val
d'Is opened yesterday, although Face, and I think Santons are closed
for lack of snow - runs to La Daille are open though. Palafour was
meant to open today, but doesn't look like it's moving. Lavachet runs
and lifts are also closed. Breviere and Boisse are still effectively
closed, but the villages are meant to gear up next weeekend according
to one resort rep we spoke to today.

How's the snow? Well, I'm no expert but I was pleasantly surprised.
Coverage on the runs that are open is pretty good with only the odd
stone getting kicked up. Bit choppy in places, but some nice fast
skiing to be had on none-too-icey pistes. I did a run yesterday that I
did on Christmas day last year and yesterday's experience was
approximately ten times better, so fair play to the pisteurs for
getting it as good as it is with the limited supplies! It was pretty
cold though. Without any more snow until next weekend it's bound to get
pretty sh1tty towards the end of the week, but hopefully it'll then
freshen up.

Beautifully sunny today and there's a good buzz in resort - most of the
bars and shops are now open in resort and people are enjoying
themselves.

Matt