Questions from a new skiing family

Old February 9th 04, 12:37 AM
Rich Heimlich

Default Questions from a new skiing family

My family has just gotten into skiing (wife and I went 10 years ago
for our first experience and after many falls I was on intermediate
slopes by the end of the day).

I now have a 9 year-old who had his first experience Saturday and the
two of us (my wife was otherwise engaged but will re-join us next week
for another trip) spent the entire day (after some classes) on
beginner slopes and Big Boulder in the Poconos.

Our son was so taken with the experience that he just cannot stop
talking about it so we've decided we want to foster this endeavor.
We've never seen him so happy or confident in himself (he's quite a
normal kid but this was something quite different).

First, on technique, apparently going once every 10 years isn't enough
(joking) as the 10 years added a bit of fear to my situation. I want
to be in control before I brave anything more aggressive and my son
felt the same.

We can J-turn decent, wedge-slow, wedge turn, etc. However, for both
of us we're stuck with two confusing things:

First, we J-turn down a hill (it was mainly ice so that didn't help)
but sooner or later something forces us to take a more direct line
down the hill which catapults us into a free-for-all chaotic run down
the hill where we don't dare attempt to turn and attempts to wedge
even feel like a waste. What are we doing wrong here that we can
correct in time (hopefully shorter than longer)?

Second, we see the more experienced skiers managing to just do a quick
stop by doing a hard turn and we cannot fathom how to make that
adjustment. Does this just come with lots of trial and error?

We are going to get private lessons on this next trip for an hour or
so and hopefully we'll get help on these issues. I will say that the
introductory lessons we got at Big Boulder (called Discovery) were
exceptional. They really took time to work with each and every skier
and made sure we got the concepts and went down the hills with us
initially. Very helpful.

Now that we're going again, I'm thinking about equipment. We are
pretty adamant that we'll be skiing for many years now as the whole
family really did enjoy it and it took this trip to drive that home.
However, I also don't want to jump in and spend thousands on equipment
to find that we go 3 times a year.

We're complete novices so I have NO idea what good skis are, what
types we want to consider (my wife and son were given skis everyone
referred to as "cheater skis" while I got what looked to be very
similar to what the instructors were skiing on) and so forth. For
right now I KNOW I want to get my own boots so that they're
comfortable, warm and not worn which the rentals were questionable on.

I also know that I want to get goggles but have no idea what I should
get. I also wear glasses and wonder if goggles can easily accomodate
glasses as I'd rather avoid having to get prescription goggles. I did
notice many wearing tinted goggles and wonder about night skiing and
their impact.

I'd consider skis and poles if I could get something at this point
that would be sure to last and that I can comfortable grow into and
get solid use out of for some time.

Lastly, if anyone is familiar with our area, we live in Southern, NJ
just outside of Philadelphia and we're now looking at where to go this
weekend. We could go back to Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Blue Mountain,
Camelback, Big Bear or any others. We're looking for a place that
would have some pretty good diversity for beginners (aside from one
hill or two, and possibly something cross-country-like).

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 9th 04, 06:07 AM
JQ

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
You live in my neck of the woods, I also live in S. Jersey. My family (11
year old son and wife) ski every weekend and some times during the week.
Jack Frost has better snow than Big Boulder (normally icy). for beginners
and family skiing Shawnee is great and so is Montage but it is further away.
Camel back is normally icy and is more difficult for beginners, Blue
Mountain we nick name Ice Mountain, it has some nice beginner runs the
closest to South Jersey. We have season passes to Mountain Creek in
Northern NJ, it has much more character and a wider range of terrain. I
would recommend the South Lodge area it is not as crowded as Vernon Lodge
(north) and it has much better conditions. Do not worry about the trail map
designated difficulty level at south all the runs except the race course is
either a green or blue.

As far as goggles go, they do make goggle to fit glasses but if you wear
large frame glasses they will not fit to well and you have to be careful
when taking the goggles of or they will rip the glasses from your face and
hurt if not cut you or damage the glasses. If you can see without them or
can wear contacts that would be better. Get something that has a lighter
shade lens. I like yellow, light amber, light rose and light tan you can
see in low light, foggy conditions, flat light and night skiing. As a first
pair get something inexpensive $25-$35 range. Oh make sure they are double
lens design or they will fog up on you.

Get a helmet this is a wise investment, here you will need to try the
different ones on. They all fit a little differently, it should fit snug
not to tight and definitely not to loose. You will be amazed how many times
things will hit your head. My helmet has paid for itself the first year I
used it. The helmet also keeps the head warm in all sorts of weather. I
also would advise one that has a venting system. I use a Leedom, my wife a
Boeri and my son Giro helmet.

Boots are probably the most important part of the equipment package. If
they are not comfortable you will not have a great day. Do not buy a high
end boot to start with. You want a beginner boot that has a softer flex.
Next you want a boot that is comfortable when fitted correctly. The boot
liner should be about a 3/8" to 1/2" longer than you foot with thin ski
socks on. With liner inside of the boot and on you foot if you stand erect
your toes should touch the front of the boot. When you bend your knees
forward your toes should not touch anymore. Buckle them up but not too
tight, now walk, jump, hop, sit with them on for about 30 minutes. If they
become very painful they are not the correct boot for you. Do not get
larger boots! Try on a different brand, each brand fits a little different
just like the helmets. Spend the time to get a good fitting boot or you
will suffer the consequences on the slopes and your progress will also
suffer. Boots will run about $100 - $350. There are other ways to get a
good boot for less.

As far as skis goes you may want to wait but if you are anything like myself
it is an all or nothing thing. There are many different brands and sizes.
If you are going to buy new you will need to make a commitment and ski at
least 10 - 15 times per year to make them pay for them self over renting
skis. like boots and all other items you will need, there are ways to get
them at about 1/2 of the retail value. The cheater skis were probably
shorter skis, as a beginner you will want a shorter ski to learn on, it is
much easier to control.

One of the biggest mistake I see many people on the slopes make is what they
wear. If you dress improperly you will be clod or get cold quickly and if
you are cold you will not want to be out there. Many people over dress as I
did when I first started. You need a good base layer that will wick
moisture away from the body polypropylene, polyester, capalene or some
similar fabric for the upper and lower body. Then a second thin layer of
similar fabric (fleece) upper body and a jacket that is wind and water
resistant, ski pants. A decent pair of gauntlet gloves or mittens that are
water and wind proof. A good pair of ski socks and a neck warmer. Make
sure you do not wear any cotton at all, cotton holds water and will get cold
which in turn will make you cold. Oh yes, your undies should be of nylon,
silk or similar fabric or you will definitely have a freezing rear end.

If you would like more info. e-mail me. See you on the slopes...

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 13th 04, 06:05 PM
the outfitter

Wow...a new convert! Congrats!

Here are some thoughts will will help you get on your way while spending as
little as possible until you are absolutely ready to...

1. Technique/Skill - Spend some time (and some $) and take a private lesson
for your whole family next time you go up skiing. Not only will you have
fun with the family, but hopefully you will get some quality 'on-snow' time
with a decent instructor. Make sure that you leave the lesson with several
things that you can 'practice on your own'. Also, make sure you pay
attention to each other's skiing styles. This way you can 'gently coach'
each other until you decide to take another lesson.

2. Equipment - At this stage, I wouldn't spend a penny on buying any skis,
boots or poles. Rather, I would do the following:
- Ask your instructor (above) for ideas and recommendations. They should
have some thoughts which you can use as good base information as you
continue to search and try new things.
- Talk to your local ski shop. Go in and explain your circumstances and see
if they can walk you through the process. If they are willing to help and
'educate' you, rather than just swipe your credit card, they may be a good
shop that you can continue to rely upon in the future. If they just want
your $$ and don't care about the relationship, I would find another shop.
- Try 'demos'. Some local shops will allow you to 'rent' 'demo equipment'.
This is usually higher quality than typicall rental stuff and will start to
give you a taste for all the shapes, sizes and flavors of stuff on the
market.

3. Goggles - Buy 'em. There are many goggles on the market that fit over
glasses. This is something that will last you a while and will help make
skiing more enjoyable. They are worth the $35-40.

4. Ski Areas - As with many sports, skiing is a sport where mileage is
important. This means that the more you ski and the more varied terrain you
experience, the better you will get. I would recommend trying many of the
different ski areas in your region. I used to race back there and I think
you will find that all of the areas have something to offer for your family.
Once you find an instructor that you like, you may wan to return to that
area for future lessons and then explore other times.

5- Ski Programs - if your son's school has a ski program (ski bus etc.) get
him signed up. Its a great experience and nothing helps a kid improve more
in sports than a little friendly peer pressure.

Good luck and have a great time!
- The Outfitter
www.mpgear.com

Old February 16th 04, 07:04 AM
Wai Chan

First of all, I am duplicated my response to your post to
rec.skiing.alpine as I was told by others that the newsgroup
rec.skiing is becoming obsolete.

Rich Heimlich wrote in message . ..
My family has just gotten into skiing (wife and I went 10 years ago
for our first experience and after many falls I was on intermediate
slopes by the end of the day).

That is great. Just one word of caution though... Don't be in such a
hurry to ski ahead of yourself -- if that is the case. I know it's ego
boosting but being able to advance with confidence is far more
satisfying than hacking it -- not mentioning the higher risk of
getting hurt.

I now have a 9 year-old who had his first experience Saturday and the
two of us (my wife was otherwise engaged but will re-join us next week
for another trip) spent the entire day (after some classes) on
beginner slopes and Big Boulder in the Poconos.

IMHO, skiing is one of the few sports that can be genuinely shared
amongst family members by doing it side by side year after year.
Frankly, my family is the biggest reason I love the sport so much.

Our son was so taken with the experience that he just cannot stop
talking about it so we've decided we want to foster this endeavor.
We've never seen him so happy or confident in himself (he's quite a
normal kid but this was something quite different).

It sound like a great start. Congrats!

First, on technique, apparently going once every 10 years isn't enough
(joking) as the 10 years added a bit of fear to my situation. I want
to be in control before I brave anything more aggressive and my son
felt the same.

Sound good to me.

We can J-turn decent, wedge-slow, wedge turn, etc. However, for both
of us we're stuck with two confusing things:

First, we J-turn down a hill (it was mainly ice so that didn't help)
but sooner or later something forces us to take a more direct line
down the hill which catapults us into a free-for-all chaotic run down
the hill where we don't dare attempt to turn and attempts to wedge
even feel like a waste. What are we doing wrong here that we can
correct in time (hopefully shorter than longer)?

It is very likely that you (and your son) are sitting back on your
skis. It is the biggest error that many skiers (particularly with the
beginners and every once in a while with the more established)
experience is that they are sitting in the back seat. Putting pressure
(as much as you can) on the tongues of the boots with your shins will
help you hold your skis in place while sliding and in turn steer. The
trick here is to flex your ankles and not just bending your knees so
that you're not sitting. Picking up your toes in attempt to touch the
roofs of the boots will help too. Another couple of less obvious
things are keeping your hands forward (straight arms and about
shoulder height) and looking ahead. These two things will naturally
help you to bring your weight forward. Make sure your upper body is
quiet and following your skis. Throwing your arms and body around will
not help you steer but will definitely help you fall.

Second, we see the more experienced skiers managing to just do a quick
stop by doing a hard turn and we cannot fathom how to make that
adjustment. Does this just come with lots of trial and error?

Somewhat. Actually, a nice quick stop amounts to a tightly rounded
(not sharp) turn followed by a abrupt hockey stop. For that reason, I
believe that stopping by turning until the momentum is gone (I think
what you refer to as a J stop) is a far better way to stop than with a
traditional hard wedge (even for a newby). So, in a way, the first
step to a quick parallel stop is the turning stops (with a wedge or in
parallel).

We are going to get private lessons on this next trip for an hour or
so and hopefully we'll get help on these issues. I will say that the
introductory lessons we got at Big Boulder (called Discovery) were
exceptional. They really took time to work with each and every skier
and made sure we got the concepts and went down the hills with us
initially. Very helpful.

Although all (or just about) self-taught skiers will disagree, you are
absolutely doing the correct thing by taking lessons. For the others,
once "self-taught", it's hard to swallow the pride to give in (or
justify) for a lesson -- plus it will really difficult to break those
bad habits.

Now that we're going again, I'm thinking about equipment. We are
pretty adamant that we'll be skiing for many years now as the whole
family really did enjoy it and it took this trip to drive that home.
However, I also don't want to jump in and spend thousands on equipment
to find that we go 3 times a year.

We're complete novices so I have NO idea what good skis are, what
types we want to consider (my wife and son were given skis everyone
referred to as "cheater skis" while I got what looked to be very
similar to what the instructors were skiing on) and so forth.

A good ski shop can help you with that. In general, all major brands
are pretty comparable in quality but you are really paying for is in
performance and in feature. That is, the higher the cost gets you the
better performance/feature. For a starter, the more novice skis are
probably adequate for your needs. There are skis that you can "grow"
into but they generally start at the intermediate level and they are
more expensive. Many ski shops offer seasonal rentals and they are
guarantied to fit you for the season. (In fact, some of the online
places are doing that as well. I don't know how that works though.)
That is a good option, especially for your son, who is constantly
growing. Another good bet is to go to a ski swap just prior to the
beginning of a season. (The ski club that we belong to -- 4 hours from
you -- runs a good sized swap during every Holloween and the weekend
after if you're interested).

For
right now I KNOW I want to get my own boots so that they're
comfortable, warm and not worn which the rentals were questionable on.

Much of the cost of the boots is in the liners. Don't worry about
spending money on a high performance pair of boots for now. Getting
boots with a good (i.e. durable) pair of liners is more important.
This is more so with the front entry boots. Just by merely stepping
into the boots does a job on the liners. One liner on my first pair of
boots literally disintergrated.

I also know that I want to get goggles but have no idea what I should
get. I also wear glasses and wonder if goggles can easily accomodate
glasses as I'd rather avoid having to get prescription goggles. I did
notice many wearing tinted goggles and wonder about night skiing and
their impact.

I wear prescription glasses as well. I myself do not recommend wearing
contacts unless you are planning on using your goggles all the time.
Between the wind, the snow and the dryness in air, I don't think I
need to explain why contacts are bad for skiing. However, I can share
with you what works out quite well for me. Instead of wearing my
normal glasses, I got myself a pair of these sports glasses that have
a wrap-around but small profile. (I don't mean one of those with the
RX inserts) The better makes of these glasses allow for prescription
lenses. On top of that, you can get transitional lenses that are made
out of polycarbonate. My lenses work really well in both bright and
dim situations. My frame is by Oakley, who makes a huge line of frames
of that sort. Now, get yourself a pair of goggles that can fit over
these glasses. I have a pair of UVEX myself but Oakley again has at
least one model that serves that purpose.

I'd consider skis and poles if I could get something at this point
that would be sure to last and that I can comfortable grow into and
get solid use out of for some time.

Skis are a bit more tricky but there isn't much to the poles (except
for the real fancy ones).

Lastly, if anyone is familiar with our area, we live in Southern, NJ
just outside of Philadelphia and we're now looking at where to go this
weekend. We could go back to Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Blue Mountain,
Camelback, Big Bear or any others. We're looking for a place that
would have some pretty good diversity for beginners (aside from one
hill or two, and possibly something cross-country-like).

Although I have not been to it, I have heard many good things around
Elk, which is another 45 minutes or so from Camelback.
Old February 17th 04, 10:07 PM
Walt

Sven Golly wrote:

rec.skiing was rmgrouped as a result of the big split-up. It is not
supposed to be used or carried.

Don't tell me what to do, dumbass.

Uh...What was the question again?

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 19th 04, 03:57 AM

Hey, I'd say the kid has earned his own ski trail sign. That's the
sign of a real skier. Get him one at...

www.mytrailsign.com

FREE SHIPPING offer through Feb.
Old February 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Chuck

"JQ" wrote in :

[op snipped]
Hi,
You live in my neck of the woods, I also live in S. Jersey. My
family (11 year old son and wife) ski every weekend and some times
during the week. Jack Frost has better snow than Big Boulder (normally
icy). for beginners and family skiing Shawnee is great and so is
Montage but it is further away.

[snip]

Blue Mountain we nick name Ice Mountain, it
has some nice beginner runs the closest to South Jersey.

When did you hit ice at Blue Mountain? I've been there lots of times and
the only time I hit ice is during late afternoon or at night. But that's
typical of ALL ski areas in PA. It's the nature of skiing in PA. Most
days the temps get above freezing during the day, and all that melted
snow freezes over at night when the temps dip back down resulting in
boiler plate ice. Couple that with side slipping uniplankers and it
doesn't take long to scrape off what precious little manmade snow was
laid down the night before. (Uniplankers please read this - PLEASE LEARN
TO CARVE before attempting the blue or black trails).

I've only skied once at Jack Frost and would have to agree they had the
best snow of any ski area I've been to in PA. But again it's the nature
of PA skiing. JF is only open until sunset so the ice forms after
everyone moves over to Big Boulder. I liked JF because of the snow but
the I found the trails pretty short. I spent more time riding lifts than
I did skiing. I'd probably only go back if I were getting really cheap
lift tickets, or if they were the only mountain with snow.

BTW I just discovered that Bubbabews carries this obsolete NG. Postings
about downhill skiing have been going to rec.skiing.alpine for years.
Most usenet servers, including the one I usually use, don't even carry
this group any more.
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email
Old February 23rd 04, 04:05 PM
A. B. Normal

"the outfitter" wrote in
:

3. Goggles - Buy 'em. There are many goggles on the market that fit
over glasses. This is something that will last you a while and will
help make skiing more enjoyable. They are worth the $35-40.

Goggles are one thing you can get at a department store sprting goods
department or sports superstore. About this time of year you should be able
to get them even cheaper as they're trying to move all the skiing equipment
out to make room for spring and summer equipment. I think I paid about $20
at Boscovs for my over the glass googles last year. They are definitely a
good investment for anyone who's getting into skiing. I even use them at
night to just to keep the wind out of my eyes and face while riding the
lift.

skiing "bible"? angharad General 1 February 19th 04 10:39 AM
best place for skiing in U.S.A woo-ram song General 3 January 22nd 04 10:39 PM
Check my Skiing Pictures [email protected] General 0 January 18th 04 03:42 AM
Can you recommend a nice cross-country skiing place not far from NYC alex General 0 December 10th 03 04:59 PM
November Skiing conditions at Vail Jonna General 0 November 19th 03 04:32 PM