trad backcountry boots

Old March 21st 05, 09:06 PM

Default trad backcountry boots

Old men: FYI check out Sierra Trading post's current offerings of Alico and
Garmont boots. Cheeep prices on retro leather...
Naw, I don'work for ST either ;-]

Old March 21st 05, 11:48 PM

a wrote:
Old men: FYI check out Sierra Trading post's current offerings of

Alico and
Garmont boots. Cheeep prices on retro leather...
Naw, I don'work for ST either ;-]

Actually, they have the titles of the Alico boots backwards. The
buckle boots are the tele boots and the non-buckles are the nordic
boots. I have a pair of the tele boots and after 10+ years of use,
they still perform real nicely. And since they're leather, they're oh
so comfy.

Now the challenge to buying the Alico tele boots is: What ski do you
match to it. Good luck to any buyer!

JJS

Old March 22nd 05, 12:01 AM
Booker C. Bense

Old March 22nd 05, 01:41 AM

"Booker C. Bense"
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Mar.21.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...

Actually, I'm just waking up after a 25 year snooze. My woodies warped
(hanging from roof of woodshed... fool!), and I've been looking at Karhu
Ursa and Pavo 's as a possible compromise. Living between the WV border and
the Blue Ridge Mtns of VA, my backcountry is mostly hiking trails with a
meager 6-16" of snow on them (occasionally a bit more). A recent weekend
out to Canaan Valley rekindled my interest in more backcountry excursions.
Even my 'newer' backup (plastic) skinnies looked so old-fashioned. But
yikes...the S-bounds still look like snowboards to me!!

Old March 22nd 05, 02:35 AM
gr

a wrote:
"Booker C. Bense"
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Mar.21.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...

Actually, I'm just waking up after a 25 year snooze. My woodies warped
(hanging from roof of woodshed... fool!), and I've been looking at Karhu
Ursa and Pavo 's as a possible compromise. Living between the WV border and
the Blue Ridge Mtns of VA, my backcountry is mostly hiking trails with a
meager 6-16" of snow on them (occasionally a bit more). A recent weekend
out to Canaan Valley rekindled my interest in more backcountry excursions.
Even my 'newer' backup (plastic) skinnies looked so old-fashioned. But
yikes...the S-bounds still look like snowboards to me!!

When I first started xc/backcountry a few years ago I bought a pair of
Outabounds thinking they would be good all purpose skis, but found they
are too wide and glide poorly. Ended up with Fischer Cruisers as my gen
purpose ski, mostly ungroomed hiking trails; the short length is a big plus.
If you need boots, take a look at the Karhus.
gr