Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Old April 1st 15, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mnhoser

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

I do hope he's still skiing!

More fishing than skiing.

I really like my new Garmin 620, the impact timing and stride statistics
are quite interesting, particularly when you've spent parts of the race
scrambling through heather & marshland. :-)

I realize there are newer units, but I suspect I will not use it for more than a HR monitor. I should use the GPS data, but it seems I don't adopt much electronic technology. If there are other units (less expensive than the 620) that I should consider, I'm all ears.

You guys are invited to participate over at www.xcskiforum.com. I bet
there is more traffic and I find it an easy interface.

Jay! Where's your sense of tradition & history?

Yeah, it's like a 30 year high school reunion...with five people. The xcskiforum doesn't get much traffic either, but it is an easier and better looking interface. Yeah, there's reminiscing in the Unix of the 90s, but it looks like the posts here are few and far between.....at least take a look.

BTW, (I suspect) one of our techs for the US team seems to be posting a few comments, but I can only guess who it is. Last night I listened to a talk by one of the coach/techs, but it was hard to get something useful for me. The world cup is such a different world than my racing.

Btw Terje, it sounds like you're still kicking ass and taking names. Good for you.

Jay
Old April 11th 15, 11:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_2_]

You guys are invited to participate over at www.xcskiforum.com. I bet
there is more traffic and I find it an easy interface.

Sure, but be prepared to read through posts (e.g., from "Je....") speculating about what the wax will be when Mars colonies finally offer nordic skiing...
Old November 3rd 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mnhoser

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 9:19:55 PM UTC-5, mnhoser wrote:
[...]

Update. I got that Garmin monitor and the data showed me my HRs were odd. I figured out that the beta blockers I was on were really messing with my HRs. I got onto another med that is a beta 1 blocker (not a beta 1 and 2 blocker) and that really helped. (BTW, it's for glaucoma.) The beta 2 blocker was making me bonk and gain weight, and have weird energy levels since it blocks gluconeogensis (glycogen to glucose pathway).

Anyway, I've been looking at Seilor again and forwarding his info to a training partner. BTW, I read through the thread. My VO2 max tests were when I was about 40. I was tested twice about 1 year apart: 67 and 75. The first time I exclusively sat on the bike, the second time I stood (and I was lighter), which is more natural for me.

Jay
Old November 7th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 19:13:08 -0800 (PST)
mnhoser wrote:

Update. I got that Garmin monitor and the data showed me my HRs were
odd. I figured out that the beta blockers I was on were really
messing with my HRs. I got onto another med that is a beta 1 blocker
(not a beta 1 and 2 blocker) and that really helped. (BTW, it's for
glaucoma.) The beta 2 blocker was making me bonk and gain weight, and
have weird energy levels since it blocks gluconeogensis (glycogen to
glucose pathway).

Anyway, I've been looking at Seilor again and forwarding his info to
a training partner. BTW, I read through the thread. My VO2 max tests
were when I was about 40. I was tested twice about 1 year apart: 67
and 75. The first time I exclusively sat on the bike, the second time
I stood (and I was lighter), which is more natural for me.

Yeah, different activities, different test results, as I understand it,
although there are different formulas depending on the activity:
http://certification.acsm.org/metabolic-calcs.

The relation between weight and VO2max has apparently long been a source
of contention in the athletic world. There's a good summary of the issue
and an alternative approach to body mass at
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-sc...onal-to-weight

Gene

Great article on last year's Stephen's Pass avalanche Walt Alpine Skiing 0 December 21st 12 02:51 PM
how much training ... 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 33 August 5th 06 02:10 PM
Anybody training? Bjorn A. Payne Diaz Nordic Skiing 24 October 15th 05 04:57 PM
NYC training Bob Nordic Skiing 2 October 27th 04 12:03 AM
GPS for training J999w Nordic Skiing 11 September 24th 04 08:37 PM