Opinions on BOA-type boots?

Old February 2nd 05, 09:07 PM
roah

Default Opinions on BOA-type boots?

Hi there - I've got some Rossi boots that I got last year and like them
okay. However, I'd really like to get some boots that aren't such a
PAIN to keep tight via liner laces/outer laces. I've started reading a
bit about the BOA systems available on lots of boots now. Does anyone
have input regarding the quality/effectiveness of this lacing system?
Thanks in advance, and if you've had different results with different
brand boots with the same system, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks!
have a good day
roah

Old February 3rd 05, 05:13 AM
Waco Paco

roah wrote:

Hi there - I've got some Rossi boots that I got last year and like them
okay. However, I'd really like to get some boots that aren't such a
PAIN to keep tight via liner laces/outer laces. I've started reading a
bit about the BOA systems available on lots of boots now. Does anyone
have input regarding the quality/effectiveness of this lacing system?
Thanks in advance, and if you've had different results with different
brand boots with the same system, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks!
have a good day
roah

I've also had the same curiosity you had last october when I was in
store for new boots. I tried out a pair of boas and can't say that I
liked them. One thing with the boas is that you can't customize the
tightness. I usually like it a little looser around the toes and tight
around the ankles and upnear the shins. But with the boas its either
tight all around or loose all around. Another thing I found is that even
though they claim to be aircraft grade steel cables, they just seem
flimsy. I would not want one of those breaking mid-vacation because i
wouldn't know where to look for replacements. Normal boots i could grab
long laces and I'll be set.

However, I did see a good compromise coming from K2. Instead of having
the boa on the outside, they put it on the liner. You can tighten the
liner by twisting the dial which you can reach from the outside of the
boot. And the shell is just normal lacing. I haven't heard anything
about it yet, but seems to be a good idea.

stu
Old February 3rd 05, 01:08 PM

Baka Dasai wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:13:55 -0500, Waco Paco said (and I quote):
One thing with the boas is that you can't customize the
tightness. I usually like it a little looser around the toes and

tight
around the ankles and upnear the shins. But with the boas its

either
tight all around or loose all around.

My gf went riding with a friend the other day, and the friend was
suffering from this exact problem with her BOA lacing system. She

would
tighten her boots, but then the forefoot would be too tight, so she
would loosen them, and then the ankle/shin would be too loose.

It's a bad design IMO.
--
What was I thinking?

I've had the Vans Contra's which are BOA boots for two seasons now.
IMO, it's the perfect lacing system. The do tighten uniformly, which I
think is a plus, not a negative. If the boot requires special
tightening of the laces, IMO, then the boot probably doesn't fit right
to begin with. Plus, I find it hard to believe that tightening regular
laces tighter in one place than another is going to last very long, as
there is no good way to hold it in place. I would think regular laces
would just start to gradually slip back to more uniform tightening.
I've always found that it takes considerable time to get regualar laces
to tighten uniformly, with BOA it happens automatically.

With the BOA system, the boots go on in a few seconds, and tightne
uniformly. I just partially tighten them at first, then at the top of
the first run, just wind the ratchet and tighten them down to the point
I like. You can also release them easily while taking a break by just
pulling out the ratchet knob and re-tighten in a couple seconds when
ready to go. You can also adjust them on the slope in a snap if you
desire.

Never had a cable break, nor would I expect to. The cable is steel and
looks very strong, certainly an order of magnitude stronger than laces.
If you're worried about it, the solution is to take the extra cable
that they give you with you on trips. Would never go back to regular
lacing system again.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:48 PM
Nunya Biz

The lacing system on Salomon boots also allows for quick lacing, and
independent tightening of the lower and upper halves of the boot.

todd wrote:
For the functionality you describe, seriously look at the Burton ION
boot (or women's Sable). This time of year, though, it may be tough to
find your size. May get lucky online.

They have a very simple quick lacing system... one pull cleat for the
lower zone, one pull cleat for the upper zone. Many people definitely
find a need to tighten or adjust these two areas differently throughout
the day.

They are pricey.

I looked at the BOA system as well, but I can't figure if that is going
to stay around or not. It seemed like a lot of boots offered it last
year, and less this year...if that means anything.

The snowboarding market is very fickle. Even if it is a great system,
if the kids don't think its cool, it doesn't last more than a few
seasons.

Old February 23rd 05, 04:23 PM
Aegis

My wife and I are using DC Judge boa boots this year. Just came back
from our first trip with them and loved them. The nice thing is that
adjustments on the hill are really easy - I like to ride slightly
looser when Park riding, but tighten them up a bit for cruising. tying
and retying laces is annoying.

One thing I did notice though was that the boa system seemed to loosen
a bit occasionally, and I would need to twist the knob a couple times
to compensate.

Old February 24th 05, 01:41 PM

"One thing I did notice though was that the boa system seemed to loosen

a bit occasionally, and I would need to twist the knob a couple times
to compensate"

Are you sure that they are in fact loosening or are you just learning
that it's hard to get any boot real snug with just one initial
tightening? I tighten my BOAs moderately while getting ready, then
tighten a second time more securely a the top of the run. After a few
runs, I may tighten one more time. But after that, they never loosen.
With the ratchet system, there really is nothing that can loosen,
unless the ratchet is broken and slipping.

Old February 28th 05, 01:56 AM
Aegis

Perhaps that is it - Since they are so easy to adjust, I really didn't
mind much at all. Still WAY better than laces, although the Burton
speed-laces on the ION and the upcoming Drake SL speed-lace system give
them a run for the money.

Old February 28th 05, 04:18 PM
Chris J.

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
On 27 Feb 2005 17:56:58 -0800, Aegis said (and I quote):
Still WAY better than laces, although the Burton
speed-laces on the ION and the upcoming Drake SL speed-lace system give
them a run for the money.

Not as good as buckles though. It took skiers a few decades of
suffering through soft boots with laces before they realised that
plastic boots with buckles worked better. How will it take the
snowboarding mainstream?
--
What was I thinking?

Actually it seems that ski boot technology is getting a snowbarding
influenced update as well. Take a look at the Rossignol soft series, which
combine plastics and buckles with soft materials and lacing systems.

The mainstream likes to be comfortable.

Chris

Old February 28th 05, 05:26 PM
Mike T

Actually it seems that ski boot technology is getting a snowbarding
influenced update as well. Take a look at the Rossignol soft series, which
combine plastics and buckles with soft materials and lacing systems.

The mainstream likes to be comfortable.

I would like to refine your statement:

"The mainstream likes to be comfortable walking around in their boots".

I ride both hard and soft and when riding, both are comfortable. My hard
boots are in fact a little bit more comfortable when riding, probably
because it is IMHO easier to tweak hardboots for a better fit. But when
walking around, no argument, soft are more comfy.

I will also agree that it is easier to get a good fit with unmodified soft
boots vs. unmodified hard boots, for no other reason than there are many
more choices with soft. But keep in mind, the 3 major brands of hard boots
offer models with at least partially moldable moldable liners, and simply
molding them is often the only modification one needs. The modifictions to
both my hard and soft boots are limited to adding a custom footbed and
molding the liner.

Mike T