Tahoe Recommendations

Old February 24th 04, 03:08 AM
John Lechmanik

Default Tahoe Recommendations

I'm hoping to hit Lake Tahoe area a week from Friday (1st Friday in March)
along Hwy 88 for some backcountry skiing. I haven't hit that area before
and would like some recommendations.

What we are looking for is something that can be done with limited Telemark
ability (some low angle open slopes that we could practice on would be
cool), or easy Randonee type slopes (but my partner would still be on
backcountry/X-country type gear but I would have Randonee gear or
backcountry X-country gear). We would prefer something low in avalanche
danger since the the ratings are higher with all this fresh snow. And of
course something with a view. Figure a 3/4 day outing would be nice.

Any suggestions???

--
John

To reply direct, "removeme" from my address

Old February 24th 04, 06:03 AM
Hal Murray

First answer... Get a copy of Marcus Libkind's books.
Ski Tours in the Sierra Nevada. 4 vols.
Vol 1 is Tahoe area
Vol 2 is Carson Pass, Bear Valley, and Pinecrest
Vol 3 is Yosemite to Sequoia
Vol 4 is East Side

There is a second edition of Vol 1.

Next answer...

There are two Sno Parks at Carson Pass. One right at the pass on
the south side, and the other a 1/4 mile west on the north side.
(So get your Sno Park Pass before you head up there.)

Libkind's book describes many tours from Carson Pass.

My suggestion would be to start at the lower/western Sno Park,
go west on the north side of the road, after a while, hang a right,
and go up over a gentle pass. (That's a well traveled route.)
Then follow your nose.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old February 24th 04, 04:34 PM
AES/newspost

In article F6A_b.49005$4o.69049@attbi_s52,
"John Lechmanik" wrote:

I'm hoping to hit Lake Tahoe area a week from Friday (1st Friday in March)
along Hwy 88 for some backcountry skiing. I haven't hit that area before
and would like some recommendations.

What we are looking for is something that can be done with limited Telemark
ability (some low angle open slopes that we could practice on would be
cool), or easy Randonee type slopes (but my partner would still be on
backcountry/X-country type gear but I would have Randonee gear or
backcountry X-country gear). We would prefer something low in avalanche
danger since the the ratings are higher with all this fresh snow. And of
course something with a view. Figure a 3/4 day outing would be nice.

Any suggestions???

For the Lake Tahoe and Donner Lake areas, you could have a look at my
web page

http://www-ee.stanford.edu/~siegman/...i_touring.html

or the slightly updated html version I'll try to email you

Don't know what it will be like once the pending Wed/Thurs storm passes,
but it's been warm here, though with lots of snow, and going higher up
(e.g., Tahoe Mdws up Hywy 431, or Donner Pass area) could have looser,
more pleasant snow. Views galore, everywhere around Tahoe.
Old February 25th 04, 01:31 AM
John Lechmanik

Thanks I have Ski Tours Volume 1 (2nd edition), Backcountry skiing
California's High Sierra, and 50 Classic Backcountry Ski and Snowboard
Summits. I guess I can pick up Vol 2 (I assume that handles the Kirkwood
area?). I was hoping to get some first hand information with the current
conditions what might suit our purpose :-)

I guess I'll have to pick up another book (running out of room from all
these books), AND a snow pass while at work tomorrow :-)

We are pretty much limited to Hwy 88 since we are heading across the sierras
after skiing for a couple of days of Alpine Skiing (probably Mammoth) and
ice climbing at Lee Vining. We are trying to keep any excess mileage to a
minimum (especially with this $2 a gallon gas rate). :-(

Thanks Hal.