Beginning Skiing at Tahoe

Old January 28th 05, 12:39 PM
Amy Benson

Default Beginning Skiing at Tahoe

My boyfriend and I will be meeting friends in Tahoe for a week of
skiing. Neither one of us have ever skied, therefore, do not have any
equipment. I was going to rent the skies and boots.

I wanted some recommendations for clothing to wear. To save money, I
was just going to layer myself in longjohns sweats with jeans on top. I
was strongly advised by people to wear something waterproof. Since we
are beginners with the potential of landing on my behind a dozen or more
times. Afterall, comfort is key to having fun. A wet, cold time isn't
fun nor comfortable.

I am afraid that the clothing is going to become quite expensive. I did
find a good deal on Rawik waterproof overalls for $40. What else will I
need other than a jacket, gloves, goggles? Where should I shop to get
the best quality for my money? I do need tall larger sizes as well
(XL tall, XXL tall). A lot of places I have sought out have your
average Joe or JoAnn sizes. Actually it's more difficult to find tall
womens.

I welcome any suggestions about clothing or any other advice for first
time skiers.

Amy

"Humor is the most powerful communicator." J. Cleese

Old January 28th 05, 04:23 PM
Waco Paco

Amy Benson wrote:
[...]

You'd want a touque (or a beanie, wool hat, tea cozy) to keep your head
and ears warm. I rode once without one and my ears froze.

If you could tell us where you're living now, maybe someone can point
you to a shop. It also doesn't hurt to spend $60-$100 for a pair of
snowpants and another $100-$150 for a low end jacket. You can wear the
jacket around and the snowpants should last you 5+ years.

Other than that, i can't think of anything else... just remember to
bundle up when you go.

have fun
stu
Old January 28th 05, 09:41 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

I'd say get some cheap pants and just wear your regular
winter jacket (assuming its water resistant). I'm sure
you have a hat. You may also want to get gloves, they
should be on sale pretty soon. Regular peoples gloves
may not be repellent enough and usually are too short
and let snow get in between glove and jacket sleeve.

Old January 28th 05, 10:52 PM
Bob

"Amy Benson" wrote in message
[...]

This might be an excellent time to research local thrift shops. Pants,
gloves, jackets, goggles, poles, etc. can all be found there at $.10 on the
dollar or so. You don't need brand new to see if you like the sport. Even
skis can be found there, although almost all will be old straight skis,
which I would not recommend.

On used goggles, watch out for breaking down foam. It will get in your eyes.

The best time to find this stuff, of course, is in the summer when no-one
else wants it.

Bob

Old January 29th 05, 03:41 AM
Don

Bob wrote:
"Amy Benson" wrote in message

My boyfriend and I will be meeting friends in Tahoe for a week of
skiing. Neither one of us have ever skied, therefore, do not have any
equipment. I was going to rent the skies and boots.

I wanted some recommendations for clothing to wear. To save money, I
was just going to layer myself in longjohns sweats with jeans on top.

Jeans are made of cotton and, when wet, will rob your body of heat.
Wool is good, and helps keep the heat in, but also retains the water.
Polyester does not bleed off the heat, and also does not hold water.
If you have outer waterproof pants, it probably doesn't matter.

As another poster mentioned, thrift shops are a good idea.

Don

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 08:03 PM