What to look for in a helmet

Old February 6th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Risto Varanka

Default What to look for in a helmet

Hi,

How can I know a helmet is safe & comfortable, trying them on at a
shop? Any articles/resources online about what I should look for in a
helmet? Personal experiences?

I do only riding with my snowboard - mostly down the piste but
occasionally off-piste... looking to get a race board with hard
bindings next, I think.

PS. Replies only to the group please.
Old February 12th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Risto Varanka wrote in
:

Hi,

How can I know a helmet is safe & comfortable, trying them on at a
shop? Any articles/resources online about what I should look for in a
helmet? Personal experiences?

There really aren't that many helmets out there to choose from. I think
most companies have some type of certification, you could check on that.
But I think you are safe to go with anything by Giro, Red or Carrera.

The most important thing is that it fit on your head properly and that
is something the shop should help you with if they are any good. It
should be snug on your head (not crushing it!) to be most effective.
Obviously secondary considerations are look and options such as audio.
Old February 15th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C[_2_]

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 3.44...

The most important thing is that it fit on your head properly and that
is something the shop should help you with if they are any good. It
should be snug on your head (not crushing it!) to be most effective.
Obviously secondary considerations are look and options such as audio.

I second everything Mike said about fit. A loose fitting helmet will not do
you any favors in the protection area or in comfort.

OT - glad to see a new post in the group. Miss the irregular banter of the
past, now this place is a desert!

Happy boarding everyone.

SC

Old February 15th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

I know.. its kind of sad.. between the usenet spammers
and dedicated website 'communities' it seems this group
and most others are on the way out...

Personally I would rather use a usenet newsgroup
(w/o spam) than a website. Its faster and its one
central place instead of many scattered.

Anyways, soembody please send some snow to the
NORTH EAST. Not the south. Or the mid-atlantic.
I'm talking VT/NH/ME

I'm tired of getting excited about powder days that
are so deep I can't see my ankles!

"Sean C" SeanC wrote in
:

Old February 16th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

Risto Varanka wrote in :

How can I know a helmet is safe & comfortable, trying them on at a
shop?

Yes yes yes. The only place to find a correctly fitting helmet because you
can try them all and find one that you will have on your head all day.

I do only riding with my snowboard - mostly down the piste but
occasionally off-piste... looking to get a race board with hard
bindings next, I think.

I noticed this season (in Austria, Fiss / Serfauss) that I saw a lot more
helmets than before. A good thing if you ask me.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263
Old February 17th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C[_2_]

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 3.44...
I know.. its kind of sad.. between the usenet spammers
and dedicated website 'communities' it seems this group
and most others are on the way out...

Personally I would rather use a usenet newsgroup
(w/o spam) than a website. Its faster and its one
central place instead of many scattered.

Anyways, soembody please send some snow to the
NORTH EAST. Not the south. Or the mid-atlantic.
I'm talking VT/NH/ME

I'm tired of getting excited about powder days that
are so deep I can't see my ankles!

The only benefit from web-based forums is the enhanced search features and
perhaps pic posting. Otherwise, I agree with usenet. Free, fast, no reg
required and easy.

LOL about the snow. I live in Atlanta - last Friday we received 6 inches.
My neighbor and I took our boards to a local 'farm' where there were some
hills and made a few kickers. Closest thing I'll get to snow in 2010 since
we just had a baby. Good luck with Ullr and his wintry ways for the
remainder of the season.

Old February 24th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,alt.religion.kibology
Otto Bahn[_2_]

"Sean C" SeanC wrote

I know.. its kind of sad.. between the usenet spammers
and dedicated website 'communities' it seems this group
and most others are on the way out...

Personally I would rather use a usenet newsgroup
(w/o spam) than a website. Its faster and its one
central place instead of many scattered.

Anyways, soembody please send some snow to the
NORTH EAST. Not the south. Or the mid-atlantic.
I'm talking VT/NH/ME

I'm tired of getting excited about powder days that
are so deep I can't see my ankles!

The only benefit from web-based forums is the enhanced search features and
perhaps pic posting. Otherwise, I agree with usenet. Free, fast, no reg
required and easy.

Ironically, the free/fast/no reg is what makes it so enticing for spammers
to abuse the usenet chatrooms.

--oTTo--

Bolle Ski Helmet 1.0 [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 December 8th 06 09:19 PM
Helmet? John M Alpine Skiing 3 February 18th 05 04:27 PM
Helmet legislation.....what's the law? John Ricketts European Ski Resorts 10 January 11th 05 04:25 PM
Helmet Max Snowboarding 16 January 7th 04 08:26 PM
helmet recommendations chog Snowboarding 6 October 6th 03 09:11 AM