Do I need a wide board?

Old December 27th 04, 09:54 PM
bri719

Rick Wilson wrote:

My freeride board (an old Joyride 165) is not a wide and I ride with
size 12 Nidecker boots and size large Flux bindings. So far no issues
with my angles at +15/-6. I can still get a 90 degree angle to
surface without any toe/hell drag. I'd say that size 10 boots
shouldn't be a problem on a regular width board at all.

true....I ride a normal board (163) and have size 11 boots. the waist
width on this board is about 25.5 and I've never really had a problem
with toe or heel drag at all. it's cutting it close, but this
particular board is just wide enough for it to not be an issue (even in
powder). size 10's should be fine on almost any board, roughly 156-157
or greater. in fact, a too wide board might actually hinder performance
as far as shifting weight towards toe or heel edge.

FYI, my normal binding angles are +15/+9 and I have a slightly wide,
setback stance. one should also note that most bindings have an
adjustable heelcup, so if you have a tiny bit of toe drag but the
heelside is fine, you can make a small adjustment to better center your
boots and voila.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old December 28th 04, 03:32 PM
Brian

If you're a beginner progressing to intermediate, just get a wide board now.
You'll become plenty proficient on whichever board you learn with. A good
wide board is going to be very maneuverable anyhow. I learned about 5 or so
years ago on a wide board, and at this point don't feel as though there is
anything I can't do on it - except of course the things I simply don't have
the skill for.

Brian.

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the process of buying my first board. I already bought a pair
of size 10 Flow Apex boots and a set of Large Flow Pro 11-FR bindings.

5'7"
weight averages 160-165

I was interested in the Burton Clash for my first board, but their
specs say it only takes a Medium binding so I've removed it from
consideration.

If I'm getting a wide board, I'm looking into a 156 Burton Canyon or
maybe a Gnu High Carbon (157W).

From what I've read, you sacrifice some maneuverability with the wider

board but they handle pow better. If I don't have to get a wide board,
I'd rather not, since I'd rather have the maneuverability, but if a
wide board is more suited to my size, I'm all for it.

Any input?

Old December 28th 04, 04:33 PM
Sean O.

JD wrote:

If I'm getting a wide board, I'm looking into a 156 Burton Canyon or
maybe a Gnu High Carbon (157W).

I have a Gnu Carbon High Beam (a wide 164) and an older Burton Canyon (a
162). There's very little difference between them, as far as I can tell.
(But then I'm a bit of a klutz, so maybe I just can't tell!).

My Canyon is an older one, from when the Canyon was a wide version of a
Custom. The Canyon has been downgraded a bit since then (I believe is
effectively a wide Indie now, could be wrong) but in my local shops its
still somewhat more expensive than the Gnu.

So, I think if you do end up going for a wide board, the Gnu would give you
more bang to the buck than the Burton. Just my HO.

Sean
Old January 4th 05, 11:09 AM
Switters

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:40:06 GMT, "JD" allegedly wrote:

Any input?

Lots of information in the FAQ, under the section "Do I need a wide
board" :-)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Need a new wide board - Burton Bullet? Matt Snowboarding 4 May 13th 04 08:29 PM
wide board jhb Snowboarding 8 March 24th 04 12:08 AM
Donek Wide too "fast" a board for me? Johnny1 Snowboarding 18 December 6th 03 06:19 AM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM