Is this snowboard too long for me?

Old September 13th 03, 05:04 AM
Gary H

Default Is this snowboard too long for me?

I just picked up an Avalanche Super Bump snowboard from a good
friend. I measured the snowboard from tip to tip (I didn't follow
the contour to the tips, just eyed it and measured it from tip to tip)
and it measured 67 inches or 170 cm.

I am 5"8' and weigh 180 lbs. Is this board too big for me? I am a
beginner snowboarder. I remember reading the snowboard length should
reach chin or mouth level. This board is slightly over my eye level.

Also, anyone know anything about the board I just bought?

img src="http://www.thesantacruzhouse.com/newpics/DCP_6755.JPG"
Or click on:
http://www.thesantacruzhouse.com/newpics/DCP_6755.JPG

Thanks,
Gary
Old September 13th 03, 06:30 AM
Juan Parra

i think so dude. especially being a beginner.

look around between 159-162cm.

juani
http://zed.cbc.ca/displayContent.do?item_id=46839

om...

Old September 13th 03, 02:38 PM
Mike T

Also, anyone know anything about the board I just bought?

That board is pretty old... if it's well used and very soft flexing it might
be fine. On the other hand if it's average to stiffer than average it's
going to punish you as a beginner.

BTW you'll need to flip one of your bindings around! One is set up regular
(left foot forward) and the other is set up goofy (right foot forward).
Unless you are Gumby in which case you can ride it just like it is

Mike T

Old September 15th 03, 11:14 AM
Gary H

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
Also, anyone know anything about the board I just bought?

That board is pretty old... if it's well used and very soft flexing it might
be fine. On the other hand if it's average to stiffer than average it's
going to punish you as a beginner.

BTW you'll need to flip one of your bindings around! One is set up regular
(left foot forward) and the other is set up goofy (right foot forward).
Unless you are Gumby in which case you can ride it just like it is

Mike T

Hey Mike,
Yeah, I know. One of the bindings is not screwed in so it rotates. Good catch
BTW.

Ok, I'm 5'8" and it seems most would go max of 160cm. 10cm is not that much
so what issues will I have if I stick with this? It's a nice board and looks
almost brand new (although it is an older model).

I've never boarded before and I don't plan on doing anything fancey (no
freestyle/tricks).

Gary
PS. Thanks everyone else who replied.