Snowboard locks? Any recommendations? >>>

Old January 3rd 05, 08:59 PM
KenO

Default Snowboard locks? Any recommendations? >>>

I'm going from renter to owner this season, and I have heard that theft
of boards from racks at ski resorts is not in the least rare. I've
looked at Burton and Kryptonite's leash/locks and others. Does anyone
have any advice or experience to share? Are they worth messing with at
all? Thanks in advance for info.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:37 PM

KenO wrote:
I'm going from renter to owner this season, and I have heard that

theft
of boards from racks at ski resorts is not in the least rare. I've
looked at Burton and Kryptonite's leash/locks and others. Does anyone
have any advice or experience to share? Are they worth messing with

at
all? Thanks in advance for info.

Definitely use something - anything. I have an El Cheapo leash lock
and use it when I go into the lodge. My theory is that people apt to
steal boards in front of lodges are looking for crimes of opportunity
and anything that prevents them from quickly and easily swiping your
board is good enough. So far, so good.

Brian.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:04 PM
Mike Watson

On 3 Jan 2005 13:59:26 -0800, "KenO" wrote:

I'm going from renter to owner this season, and I have heard that theft
of boards from racks at ski resorts is not in the least rare. I've
looked at Burton and Kryptonite's leash/locks and others. Does anyone
have any advice or experience to share? Are they worth messing with at
all? Thanks in advance for info.

I'm about to be in the same boat. I have an osin board thats pretty
much un-stealable, its a european make and the guys in canada who
serived it had never heard of it. Served me well as a beginner so cant
really knock it.
Now on a Burton which are much more appealing to your average thief
and was looking at lightweight bike locks which look useful as I bike
when I'm not boarding.,
Old January 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
Stephen B

I'm going from renter to owner this season, and I have heard that theft
of boards from racks at ski resorts is not in the least rare. I've
looked at Burton and Kryptonite's leash/locks and others. Does anyone
have any advice or experience to share? Are they worth messing with at
all? Thanks in advance for info.

Definitely use something. I've used the retractable cable ones for several
years. I think it's enough to prevent the casual thief, especially when
there's so many others who just leave theirs lying propped-up against the
lodge. One thing to check is the length, shorter ones can make it difficult
to get around some racks, or not allow you to include a buddy's board as
well in the loop if he/she forgot their lock. There's not a lot you can do
about the more prepared thief as they could easily just unscrew your
bindings or cut even the strongest cable/lock (if bicycle theft is any
indication).

Old January 4th 05, 12:16 AM
David

wrote in message oups.com...

My theory is that people apt to
steal boards in front of lodges are looking for crimes of opportunity
and anything that prevents them from quickly and easily swiping your
board is good enough. So far, so good.

I don't know much about the theft statistics, but I try to be most careful
at the end of the day, as it seems like it would be most likely then
for someone to decide to go home with extra boards. We keep our
eyes on our board much of the time, and use the board-check some of the time,
but probably should be more careful.

Old January 4th 05, 01:06 AM
Dean

KenO wrote:

Does anyone
have any advice or experience to share? Are they worth messing with at
all?

A locked helped save my board. Someone tried to break the cable but gave
up before it broke. The plastic coating was broken and the cable was
bent when I returned.

Use a check service whenever one is available.

Dean
Old January 4th 05, 01:28 AM
Sean O.

Stephen B wrote:

newbie delurk Hi all..

I think it's enough to prevent the casual thief, especially when
there's so many others who just leave theirs lying propped-up against the
lodge. ....
There's not a lot you can do about the more prepared thief as they could
easily just unscrew your bindings or cut even the strongest cable/lock (if
bicycle theft is any indication).

Thats the key, I reckon. You don't have to make it unstealable, just a bit
harder to steal than the next board along.

Its like the old joke about when the lions started to look hungrily at David
Attenbrough's camera crew. The sound man starts putting on his running
shoes, and the camera man says "you'll never outrun a lion mate".
The sound man replies "I don't have to outrun the lion mate, as long as I
outrun you."

Sorry.
/delurk

Old January 4th 05, 02:43 AM
ihm

I had a coiled leash and hated it. I found the leash a bit too short
for my board. And when my board was knocked off the racked, it dangled,
stretching it out to become a tangled pile of stretched out leash
after.

I'm sure there are others who had better luck with the coiled leash and
less fussy than me.

I used the security check and left my board unsecured for years after
that. Anyways, who wants to steal a short girly board?!

But this season, I will start using a lock again (just got a new
board)... my friend had his rental board taken 3 weeks ago. I have no
idea why anyone would take a rental... His name is on there...

AND I have seen boards taken with the owners nearby... The thieves ran
for it...

I got myself a retractable kryptonite this time around. Haven't used it
yet, so can't comment on it. I don't think anything is thief-proof, but
it might be better than nothing.

Old January 4th 05, 09:33 PM
stealtheldorado

Go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a cheap combination wire cord lock
- mine is made by Master Lock, is black and has a 4-ring combo. It cost
me about $10 bucks.

You don't need anything fancy or branded by the snowboard companies.
Even a wire luggage lock will do the trick. Thieves aren't going to
mess with any board that's locked, unless you leave it on the rack
overnight - heck the resort might cut the lock just to clear up the
racks or move 'em for grooming.

Keep your lock in your pocket, pack or board bag, just always bring it
to the mountain. I ride in the East and have never had a board stolen
nor have my friends. I always put my board where I can see it from
inside the lodge and I don't leave it unattended for long.