Combi Gear

Old November 7th 03, 02:30 PM
Nevalainen, Eric

Default Combi Gear

List,

I'm looking at picking up a combi setup this season to a: work out this
whole skating thing, and b: eventually replace my crusty old classics.
I figure if the skating doesn't work out, then I'll be left with a set
of classic capable skis that at the very least, is a whole lot better
than what I have now.

I've seen a little info (emphasis on little) on combi skis from
Rossignol, Atomic, and Fischer, but am wondering what else is out there?
What's good, what's bad? What should I look for based on weight and
height etc. There just doesn't seem to be the quantity of info out there
as there are about other nordic ski types.

TIA

Eric

Old November 7th 03, 02:52 PM
Rob Bradlee

Sometimes compromise is worse than commitment to one or the other
divergent course.

In the case of skis, you cannot make a good ski that does both skating
and classic well. The flex profiles are just too different. What you
will get is a pair of skis that work poorly in both uses. Get some
decent skate skis. Then, when you can afford it, upgrade your classic
skis. That way you can get some skate skis that glide well and that
you can wax only for glide. It is SO much easier to learn to skate if
the ski moves freely. Watch someone try to skate on waxless classic
skis and you'll see what I mean.

Rob Bradlee

--- "Nevalainen, Eric" wrote:
[...]

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old November 8th 03, 12:39 AM
J999w

Sometimes compromise is worse than commitment to one or the other
divergent course.

Absolutely true.

Perhaps the poster could give us an idea of how much skiing he has done in the
past and how much he hopes to do this year. Is there a place you can ski close
by, or do you have to drive some distance?

It may be difficult to rationalize the big $$ for good skating equipment that
won't be used all that often.

jw
milwaukee
Old November 8th 03, 01:12 AM
Gary Jacobson

I have some thoughts that might help.

I think skating on wax classic skis is a reasonable proposition. Especially
true if you are not heavy, and a decent classic skier. Then you can go a bit
shorter and a bit stiffer. Using a combi boot is a good idea if you are new
to skating. Two sets of poles are necessary as the skate length poles are
too long for classic. But I think skate poles are appropriately coming down
in length, and a lot of their sizing depends on steepness of the course.
Anyway, I think that skiers new to skating would do well to add 10 cm or so
to their classic length. Look at the Leki adjustable racing poles.

All this specialized equipment is nice, but remember when skating started
out, the stiffest boots were the waterproof gold Solomon SNS with red soles,
and I think Koch used Adidas that had amazingly flexible soles.

I and I've seen many other, used to race classic on a blue/gray Peltonen
combi ski. Nice flex, but the P-tex wasn't first class. The ski was
"weighted" both in terms of balance point, and design towards classic. This
was a late 80's ski.

Also if money is an issue, buy used. One pair of combi boots, two sets of
skis, and two pairs of poles.

Just My Two Cents.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

news:43299D65FC3D8847ACB9E8C44A49256E48FBD7@BPEXU1 VM1.andersencorp.com...

Buying gear in US Plake Snowboarding 55 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Buying gear in US Plake European Ski Resorts 62 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Need to upgrade my 9 year old gear! Any suggestions would be appreciated. G19 Snowboarding 2 March 15th 04 12:09 AM
Riding gear prices Steve_r34 Snowboarding 2 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM
Sugestions for new ski/snowboard gear to test on Street Cents Baka Dasai Snowboarding 3 July 22nd 03 05:05 PM