California/Tahoe relocation suggestions?

Old May 13th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default California/Tahoe relocation suggestions?

Hi All,

I am vaguely considering relocating to somplace in Central or Northern
California. Various other family members live in San Francisco, and
other nearby areas. Those places are out of my price range (I assume)
and are too crowded and too far from skiing for my tastes anyway.

I've never been to Lake Tahoe or any of the areas between there and
SF, but from what I've heard it sounds pretty nice. My outdoor
interestes are road cycling and XC skiing, so ideally I'm looking for
somplace rural or semi-rural where I can do these activities more or
less any day I choose more or less right out my door. I have 3 small
kids who like playing outdoors too so an urban or town setting
probably wouldn't work for them either.

I'm trying to narrow my search a bit so that I can have a look around
this summer whan I visit my relatives.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Joseph

Old May 13th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Captain Nordic

Joseph,

Contact me directly via the Far West Nordic website and I can set you
straight. Public discussions of these kinds of things never seem to
work well.

Mark

Old May 13th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 13 May 2007 09:57:14 -0700, Captain Nordic
wrote:

Public discussions of these kinds of things never seem to
work well.

Why?

I greatly trust advice given in public "strangers" rather than in
private -- it's vetted naturally by other people seeing it.

--
JT
****************************
Old May 14th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Captain Nordic

JFT,

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I meant they don't work for me.
You guys can all discuss as much as you want.

Cheers,

Mark

Old May 14th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

reno?

Old May 14th 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On May 14, 5:54 am, klh in VA wrote:
wrote:
Hi All,

I am vaguely considering relocating to somplace in Central or Northern
California.

yes but it is hard to find lutfisk there

I am contemplating relocating for a reason! ;-)

Joseph

Old May 14th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Booker C. Bense[_5_]

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

_ I could suggest 30 or 40 towns that would work, the problem is
getting a job that will support a family. Basically, anywhere
along rt 49 in the Sierra foothills would meet your
descriptions. If you want to ski out your back door (literally,)
that means somewhere above 5-6K feet and that limits the choices
(and the road biking IMHO) a lot. If you can live with 30 mins
driving to ski that's quite different. There is a lot of job
and housing growth along the rt 20 corridor, east and north of
Auburn.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old May 14th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

In article Z3R1i.14322$b67.11920@trnddc06,
klh in VA wrote:
wrote:
I am vaguely considering relocating to some place in Central or Northern
California.

yes but it is hard to find lutfisk there

There is a Norwegian store in Oakland.

although if you go south to solvang, i think pea soup anderson may be
there yet and that was wonderful nordic pea soup for thursday meals

That's Denmark/Danish. That's a bad place to be into X-C or any kind of
skiing (with consistency).

Kingsburg is Swedish.

I've never been to Lake Tahoe or any of the areas between there and

Erik Fair, who wrote most of the transport software we are using, is of
Norwwegian ancestory and lives at Tahoe. It's a very touristy area.

Truly Northern CA has little tourist skiing infrastructure and will be slow
to develop it because of residual logging interests, much lower elevations,
less consistent snow.

You should probably best play tourist before moving.

Old May 14th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On May 14, 8:02 pm, Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.skiing.nordic.May.
wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
[...]

A 30min drive to skiing would be fine. In my perfect world, I could
road bike 9 months and ski for 4-5. The only thing that keeps me off
the road bike is (extremely) icy surfaces, and darkness.

As for jobs, I'm pretty flexible, and an outlying area might have
cheaper housing?

If I wanted to go deeper into the mountains than the Auburn area, do
you suppose along I-80 or Rt-50?

Joseph