Roller skiing protective gear

Old May 8th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy Bryan

Default Roller skiing protective gear

You know, I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix stupid.
So, John Forrest Tomlinson, you win. I've wasted enough time on you.
Lets just let this drop and have the courtesy to let the people who want
to answer my thread do so. One last thing....

OH MY! I found this PICTURE of JFT ...could it be...wearing a HELMET??
HARD to BELIEVE folks!

http://www.wiredtowinthemovie.com/pr...tomlinson.html

I think I'd better not say "practice what you....neh.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2007 19:14:16 GMT, Randy Bryan
wrote:

I think a fall at full speed roller skiing is the same impact as being
thrown from a car going 40-50 mph.

Gat a clue. First off, a helmet and elbow pads arent' going to
protect your face or you limbs in an accident at that speed, so you
may still end up drooling...

And more importantly, the most important safety device is your mind
and good judgement. Personally I dont' want to fall at all at 40mph
off of roller skis, so I simply won't go that speed on them, even if I
could. You should consider doing the same.

Old May 8th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jerry M. Wright

On 8 May 2007 05:54:47 -0700, Larry wrote:

[snip]

Interesting, crashpads.com is now a flight crew relocation service. Is
there another source you can point to?

I got padded shorts from crashpads.com after I fell backwards early on
in my training practically standing still. They aren't too bulky,
don't constrain movements at all and don't look too bad.

Old May 9th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 08 May 2007 20:01:30 GMT, Randy Bryan
wrote:

You know, I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix stupid.
So, John Forrest Tomlinson, you win. I've wasted enough time on you.
Lets just let this drop and have the courtesy to let the people who want
to answer my thread do so. One last thing....

OH MY! I found this PICTURE of JFT ...could it be...wearing a HELMET??
HARD to BELIEVE folks!

http://www.wiredtowinthemovie.com/pr...tomlinson.html

I think I'd better not say "practice what you....neh.

That photo is from a bike race, in which helmets are required. And
that helmet was given to me by my sponsor -- I was supposed to wear it
whenever on a bike.

More to the point, I've never said "don't wear a helmet." I've said
the attitude of "Always wear a helmet" is stupid. Not the same thing.
--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

You know, I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix stupid.
So, John Forrest Tomlinson, you win. I've wasted enough time on you.

You can't answer my queries about protective gear for walking down
stairs, can you? So you leave? Great.

Lets just let this drop and have the courtesy to let the people who want
to answer my thread do so.

Sorry, when people post nonsense analogies between war in Vietnam and
rollerskiing, I have to respond.
--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
RWintski

I've been reading this thread awhile and find it amazing...
Since the mid 1970's when I picked up nordic ski racing I have almost
universally found the participants to be a very friendly type! Always
saying hi, etc... Through skiing I also became a runner- but there I
never found the same comraderie- seldom would a Hello be
acknowledged Through my ski coach, I also picked up cycling.
There I found friendly people, waving as we passed, but I also found many
people that would invite people along on rides and then proceed to leave
them behind if they were slower (definitely not the Nordic way!).
Now I see this petty argument over protective gear. Somebody asks for
advice on what works best so as to not impede the motions of xc skiing and
it turns into a yelling match!? Crazy! I never thought I would see the
day!
I can't answer the poster's question as for most of my 30 year roller
skiing career I have been guilty of the no pads or helmet wearing
Now that I am older (and more likely that I am smarter) and with helmets
being so comfortable, it just doesn't make sense (just like when anyone
gets on a bike) to not wear a helmet.
I also am surprised at certain poster's responses- advocating giving up
roller skiing instead of investigating gear that in this day and age
surely should be available… and this coming from someone with a biking
background who should always insist on at the minimum a helmet—and also
from someone that once said a race should be cancelled if it is too cold
for the volunteers, though they are the ones that have the ability to wear
bulky, toasty, warm modern clothing and should be prepared for anything.
So we should protect some, but not others?
Enough ranting…
So finally, if anyone has found comfortable, non-restrictive protective
gear- please share it with the group!
Thanks in advance for you time,
Randy W

Old May 9th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:34:08 -0400, "RWintski"
wrote:

I can't answer the poster's question as for most of my 30 year roller
skiing career I have been guilty of the no pads or helmet wearing
Now that I am older (and more likely that I am smarter) and with helmets
being so comfortable, it just doesn't make sense (just like when anyone
gets on a bike) to not wear a helmet.

If your car doesn't have side curtain airbags, you still can quite
easily have your skull broken while wearing seatbelts. Tens of
thousands of people die in auto accidents every year in the US, and we
know helmets could have saved some of those live.

Given how comfortable helmets are nowadays, it just doesn't make sense
to not wear a helmet when in a car.

I also am surprised at certain poster's responses- advocating giving up
roller skiing instead of investigating gear that in this day and age
surely should be available…

Are they available?

Since the mid 1970's when I picked up
nordic ski racing I have almost universally
found the participants to be a very friendly type!

Nutty rants about it being important to always wear a helmet in
relatively low-risk activities such as rollerskiing (in easy terrain)
or cycling in most road situations are very much anti-sport. They are
equating these simple activities to very dangerous stuff like American
football, or skydiving, or even war (!!!).

I don't care if it seems "unfriendly" to denounce that attitude,
because it's important to do so.

Wear a helmet if you want. It probably makes you a little safer.
Wear knee or elbow pads if you want.

But recognize that many, many things in life have low risks that could
be mitigated with extra safety equipment (driving, walking, going down
stairs, etc) and then, if you still think people should never, say,
rollerski w/o a helmet, ask yourself "Why do I want to single out one
particularly activity as so especially dangerous as to require special
rules and not others that are roughly equally risky?"
--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy AKA Cubby

This is normally a hugely supportive, friendly group and the attack
surprised me.I have had fantastic support from members, people totally
dedicated to the sport and to the subcategory of skating .You folks over
the years have changed my style of skiing, skate skiing, my equipment
and technique. I've hugely enjoyed the group and look forward to it.

John, I happened on your website a while back because something you
said in another thread impressed me and I read your bio. Pretty
impressive CV. This somewhat irrational advocacy of skating without
protective gear surprises me, as I see you're in education.

I DID NOT compare the sport to the war in Vietnam. You took that totally
out of context, which apparently suits your argument. I did that to
establish my bona fides in having seen trauma. And you are the one
coming up with ridiculous analogies about walking down stairs wearing a
helmet and slipping on ice wearing a helmet and for God sakes an airbag.
Pretty slippery slope, there.

One more time. If you want to skate without equipment then by all means
do so. Free country and there are no laws mandating their use. You also
are free to crash and burn . Feel free. The original thread, if you read
it, asked for suggestions on brands and styles of protective
equipment.Please allow that discussion to continue.

ONCE MORE Ace, all I'm asking is for you to allow people who DO advocate
the use of protective gear to answer uninterrupted. This thread DID
NOT start as an argument for or against. YOU jumped in with that statement.
And do you find it rather odd in this increasingly lengthy thread not
one person has supported your claims? Good sense rules here.

suppose we agree to disagree on the NEED for protective gear and proceed
with the original thread of TYPES of protective gear. If you want a
thread about optional use, feel free to start one. I can absolutely
promise not to respond to that.
Old May 9th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:37:09 -0500, Randy AKA Cubby
wrote:

all I'm asking is for you to allow people who DO advocate
the use of protective gear to answer uninterrupted.

I'm perfectly happy to let people talk about how effective protective
gear is.

I'm not happy to let people advocate that protective gear should
always be used in relatively undangerous sports without responding to
that.

suppose we agree to disagree on the
NEED for protective gear and proceed
with the original thread of TYPES of protective gear.

I've got no problem with that, but your rants about "shattered lives"
and "drooling" certainly don't fit the sort of detached discussions.
If you're going to get hysterical about terrible injuries that are
profoundly rare in the activity you're undertaking (if done with a
modicum of common sense), expect some heat in response.

And do you find it rather odd in this
increasingly lengthy thread not
one person has supported your claims?

No I don't -- there have only been four or five people in this thread,
and given the flawed "conventional" wisdom about the vital importance
of helmet use on bike in the US, it's not surprising at all.
--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

I think a fall at full speed roller skiing
is the same impact as being
thrown from a car going 40-50 mph.

Hahahahahaha.

You ski fast.
--
JT
****************************
Old May 9th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

This somewhat irrational advocacy of skating without
protective gear surprises me, as I see you're in education.

You've made a serious reading comprehension . Because I'm saying it's
often fine to skate w/o protective gear you think I'm saying do not
skate with protective gear. Those are not the same thing, but it's
quite typical of safety-equipment advocates (nuts?) to conflate them.

If you want to use protective gear do it. But if you can't find
protective gear that works and allows you do skate as you wish, either
don't skate or don't skate as you wish. I don't think you are going to
find the equipment you're looking for. In which case you probably
sholdn't skate. Simple.

--
JT