Salomon's New Twin Axis Classic Binding?

Old February 2nd 06, 02:34 PM

Default Salomon's New Twin Axis Classic Binding?

I saw Salomon's new twin axis classic binding. They claim it reduces
the rolling up on the ball of the foot when kicking and eliminates the
need for a bumper. Sounds pretty weird because I thought it was good to
finish off the ball of the foot. Perhaps Salomon needs a new gimic
since Rottfella came up the clip on NIS binding. A great idea
considering no more screw holes and the option of positioning the
binding. My spin is it will behave like trying to classic in a really
stiff sole skate boot in which the ski wants to stay in contact with
boot heel. Any other thoughts?

Old February 2nd 06, 03:01 PM

Same question. My first thought was that it would move the boot's flex
point back, but that's not apparent from the marketing video. Right now,
flex point is the main difference between the stiff-feeling Race 9 and
the Combi (Active 8 and maybe Pro). Other brands have much softer
forefoot flex. It may be that Salomon is just replacing the bumper's
function and something about it inhibits rolling up too early. Just
have to wait and see.

Gene

Old February 7th 06, 04:12 PM

I saw the boots and bindings on display at the Eastern Canadian
Championships last week-end. I wasn't able to try the boot but I looked
closely at the binding. I like the idea of getting rid of the bumber (which
are prone to coming loose and are crumbling with time). However, the new
system looks a bit flimsy: a tiny plastic hook attached to a woven belt,
tensioned by a spring. Lots of small pieces and linking points. The only
advantage I see is that the spring tension can be adjusted. But is this
really a need or a marketing gimmick?

BarryT

et...

Old February 7th 06, 06:17 PM

I also saw these boots for the first time on display at Easterns in
Cantley. I thought the flex of the forefoot section of the classic
boots was considerably more than the current offering. I didn't get to
demo them so I am just gauging this by the flexing them by hand. I am
not too sure how the belt will hold up but the spring attached to it
did look pretty beefy.

The skate boots appeared to be super stiff which is something I like to
see. Lots of carbon weave all over the boot. I know it is just for
asthetics but it looks good IMO.

CK