History of boots

Old September 24th 03, 05:45 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default History of boots

I tried on some Fischer boots the other night, and found them to have
a higher heel than Salomon boots. The heel is about 1 cm (3/8 inch)
higher, and since I'm used to Salomon boots, this feels a bit strange.
I took a look at the Fischer web site, and they describe this feature
as a benefit (something like a more active position). Any comments?

My history with skate boots....

Salomon 911: Loved this boot because it fits my narrow foot. No need
for orthotics (sp?)

Salomon 9.1: I skipped this series

Pilot: This is the boot that started my foot problems. While others
loved this boot compared to previous Salomon's, the boot was too wide,
and my high arches needed support in this boot. Custom foot beds
didn't help. I had to make my beds and modify them numerous times
before I could ski 3 hrs in these pieces of aviation trash....ok, the
boot in made fine, it just doesn't fit my feet.

Carbon Pilot: For my feet, this boot is like the old 911. It's really
a pain to get into, but it fits great. Is it a warm boot? No. It
doesn't have much material or support, and I like that, but it's not a
boot for below zero. Does the carbon material make it light. Well, it
is light, but I doubt the carbon material is much of a factor in that.
I guess anything is light compared to the old Pilot.

Sportful: I believe they only offer whole sizes. One size was too big,
the next size was too small. The material seemed overly rigid for the
needs of xc skiing, somewhat like a beefy Pilot boot. It kind of
reminded me an alpine boot. Maybe that's good for the folks learning
technique.

Fischer: The raised heel makes me feel like I'm wearing high heels.
The boot seems a bit wide and high particularly in the toe area. So
while the boot was not too long, it felt too wide and high, and my
foot was sloppy in the boot. (Again for my feet. Maybe other rub their
toes on the top of the boot, and most have wider feet than me.)

Jay Wenner

BTW, I don't use the above email account because my posts here
generates a ton of spam emails.
Old September 24th 03, 10:07 PM
Serge

The difference in hight between heel and toe is called pitch.

In skating pitch is about 11mm (.433").
In my opinion (having to deal with skating frames) greater pitch
assist with heel push and visa versa.

I have no idea about skiing though, because the only boot I use is Salomon.
It doesn't sound too bad though.
We can experiment with putting raisers under heel and see how it feels.
Old September 25th 03, 12:28 PM
Marsh Jones

I actually moved over to Rossi Boots from Salomon due to problems I've
had with finding a snug fit for my D foot and B heel. 9.1s fit OK in
the forefoot, but the heel was too big. Pilots felt sloppy, and Carbons
were too tight in the forefoot. The Rossi has a heat activated 'memory
foam' that seems so far to do the trick. A 2mm heel lift finished
tightening the heel and ankle.
I know that isn't an option for people who've got 20 pairs of skis
mounted up, but for us recreational types who only have 3 or four, it
might be worth looking at.
Actually, with the difference in price between pilot bindings and carbon
boots, I figure I paid for the extra set of bindings to at least get my
good skis covered.
I still occasionally look back with sadness at my old silver Adidas
boots that fit like tennis shoes and were almost as waterproof and warm...

Old October 1st 03, 05:14 AM
Serge

I went to local ski shop to get Confirmables and found out that they are
no longer available.

Instead I was offered DownUnders which is a little different concept.

Does anybody have a clue?